Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Another one car-related, although IMV this should piss me off.

It's around our NCT (your MOT).
The point of the test is to establish that a car is roadworthy, NOT that a car is pristine, showroom, perfect etc.

Scenario A.
A car with 2 brake lights goes for the test.  Both brake lights work.  This car is deemed roadworthy because it has 2 working brake lights.  Great stuff. *Other things are tested too, just go with it.

Scenario B
A car with 2 brake lights goes for the test.  Both brake lights work.  This car is deemed not roadworthy because it has 2 working brake lights and happens to have an extra 3rd brake light above the rear windscreen which is not working.

Now the safety aspect of brake lights is that people behind can see that you're braking.  Both of these cars have the same amount of functioning brake lights.  Both of these cars are equally roadworthy.  The safety element of car 2 is not affected by not having a 3rd brake light.  Car 2 fails for having something that car 1 doesn't even have.

No this didn't happen to me, before anyone asks :D 

• Like 2

also: you do not need to carry a spare wheel / tyre - if your car has a spare tyre in it that is defective, that is a fail at MOT or a fine if stopped by the police

yes, this did happen to me

never ever buy an ex police car as your first motor, you'll get stopped every time you are out and about by police just wanting a look at it

yes, this also happened to me

never drive a poorly home chopped convertible across a field without a seat belt on, it could hit a rut, flex, and you could fall out of the moving car you are driving

yes, this has happened to me

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

also: you do not need to carry a spare wheel / tyre - if your car has a spare tyre in it that is defective, that is a fail at MOT or a fine if stopped by the police

There is logic to that though.  If you have no spare tyre* and you get a flat, you will presumably stop driving the car at that point and are no longer a danger to yourself and other road users.

In a scenario where the spare is defective, you will at the very least have the option (and more than likely take it) to put on the defective spare and carry on driving.  You're now a danger to yourself and others, and may even be completely oblivious to that fact.

* This was totally not edited.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

look, if you're going to call people out that were just trying to agree with you and reach out and make a friend then you can **** right off

and you spelt tyre wrong

We can still be friends :(:D 

* I did, didn't I ! :o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Another one car-related, although IMV this should piss me off.

It's around our NCT (your MOT).
The point of the test is to establish that a car is roadworthy, NOT that a car is pristine, showroom, perfect etc.

Scenario A.
A car with 2 brake lights goes for the test.  Both brake lights work.  This car is deemed roadworthy because it has 2 working brake lights.  Great stuff. *Other things are tested too, just go with it.

Scenario B
A car with 2 brake lights goes for the test.  Both brake lights work.  This car is deemed not roadworthy because it has 2 working brake lights and happens to have an extra 3rd brake light above the rear windscreen which is not working.

Now the safety aspect of brake lights is that people behind can see that you're braking.  Both of these cars have the same amount of functioning brake lights.  Both of these cars are equally roadworthy.  The safety element of car 2 is not affected by not having a 3rd brake light.  Car 2 fails for having something that car 1 doesn't even have.

No this didn't happen to me, before anyone asks :D 

I can sort of see the brakelight logic.

If it's visible that you have a brakelight, and it doesn't work, then that could be a hazard. 

Could someone be looking at that third brakelight and think "oh he's not braking" when you actually are. But they were looking at that light and not the other ones?

Whereas the car with 2 brakelights only has 2 brakelights so you donj't get that potential confusion.

Dunno, seems quite petty. I'm just thinking out loud.

I get that.  At any point does that person say "well I can clearly see that those other 2 red brake lights have come on and are clearly blinding me, but that third light which at this point may or may not even be a brake light isn't on, so maybe they're not actually brak... *smash*".

Nahh, if the other 2 lights were in any way obfuscated then maybe, but they aren't.  So no I ain't buying it as a valid reason :)

EDIT : It only lends itself to the growing suspicion over here that it's a money-making scam and that there are certain re-test quotas to be met.

Not saying it's a valid reason, but that might be the reason behind it. In the dark it would be totally obvious that the other lights were on. In the light, not so much.

It's probably an over cautious rule.

IN any case, you're right, doesn't make much sense, imo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

never ever buy an ex police car as your first motor, you'll get stopped every time you are out and about by police just wanting a look at it

bluesbrothersbluesmobil.769.jpg

Elwood?

• Like 4

The supervisor/old bastard at work.

Found out he lives a couple of minutes away and he has to take a massive diversion on his way to work so the car has enough time recharge the battery from starting the engine.  Instead of walking for less than 5 minutes to and from work he takes a 10 minute drive. As if that wasn't bad enough, he's had to gall in the past to moan about it not being very economical because it's some 3 litre 7 seat monstrosity AND moan all over Christmas about not being able to have to a drink because he's driving. 

unbelievable.

33 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Yep. Someone needs to tell him that's enough.

Saw an advert the other day, Keith Lemon doing sketch show as celebrities. 

So that's Leigh Francis, dressed as Keith Lemon dressed as other people... 

• Like 1

Yep. Someone needs to tell him that's enough.

Saw an advert the other day, Keith Lemon doing sketch show as celebrities. 

So that's Leigh Francis, dressed as Keith Lemon dressed as other people... 

That advert looked atrocious.

• Like 1

Just now on Football Focus

"We know Pep Guardiola is the greatest coach in the world....."

Do we? We know he can steer the richest teams with the best playets in the world to success, does that prove he's the best in the world? I disagree. 

I'd like to see him build a winning side or maintain a top quality team over 10 years before deciding if he's the best. 

• Like 2

Â