Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Where?

When someone racially stereotypes you but that particular thing is actually true to specifically you :D

>>>Not my penis 

There :D

It was nothing major (As why it shouldn't piddle me off) and I didn't mean to be cryptic just to sum the feeling up in a general way.

I just had to attempt to calm a young fellow down in Brindley Place earlier (It's part of my job; Security) and he was giving me some right abuse. The funny thing was most of what he was saying was true about me haha

"**** off and listen to reggae you big black **** I bet you love Reggae you smelly ****"

Is an example

He got the black part wrong (I'm brown) but I do like Reggae.

And I am a smelly ****

The thought did cross my mind that he thought I liked Reggae due to my Dreadlocks and not my skin colour at all but later conversation proved this was not the case.

Stop saying or quoting penis.

Is it pissing you off? Because it really shouldn't Here's an extra penis just for me and Stevo. Although I bet there are others who can see this, I'd laugh if one of them was troon, proper busted then I'd be and I don't mean the band.

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 4

When someone racially stereotypes you but that particular thing is actually true to specifically you :D

Not my penis 

That you're a drunken, potato muncher, who smokes ganja and listens to Reggae? Penis.

• Like 1

He got the black part wrong (I'm brown)

Serious question, 450 ml:  

We know that very few people are actually properly black, but it has long been conventional for afro-carribean folks to style themselves 'black'. 

Mixed race people tend to be defined by our society as 'black' rather than 'white'. I'm guessing that as a mixed race guy, you don't see why you should be defined as either, which is fair enough. But 'brown' is not in general use, really, is it? 

Do you think it should be? 

• Like 1

Yeah you're right, it's not in general use, at least not for people of Afro Caribbean heritage.

I think it does get used for some other ethnicities of course and I mention that because if I look at some people of Indian or Pakistani ethnicity for example, I am very similar in skin tone to them and they are brown and so am I, do you know what I mean?

I think it's because I've always grown up with the attitude that I wanted to identify myself as having dual heritage because I didn't want to exclude either one of my parents so I've always said I was brown.

Because I'm not black and I'm not white but I'm as much black as I am white. So my skin is brown, if you know what I'm saying? I am quite dark skinned for someone of mixed heritage but it's brown.

But then you could argue, my Mammy is not white, she's pink and ruddy cheeked :) So I don't necessarily identify as brown just in an attempt to try and be literal, more as, like I've written, a nod to both my parents, an acknowledgement of both their skin tones as well as my own.

I think brown could be used to describe skin tone yeah and I wouldn't see it being a problem if it was. I was being a little facietous by correcting him calling me black even though I do prefer, for want of a better word, to be identified as such.

I mean, I do have dreadlocks too, I think that tips people towards identifying me as black as well.

Edited by 8pints

I mean, I do have dreadlocks too, I think that tips people towards identifying me as black as well.

Or some sort of Grebo. :)

Do people still use that term?

greedo1.jpg

• Like 3

Or some sort of Grebo. :)

Do people still use that term?

Damn Grebo's and their skateboards making the town look untidy.

Don't South Africans have black white and coloured?

As a Punjabi I've been called it all so don't care what I'm called anymore. Yes I didn't say Indian because we are completely different to you're traditional 'Indian'. But I digress.

8pints get rid of those sideburns!!

• Like 1

Grebo is also the name for a West African subgroup of people that are part of a larger group called Kru.

I was just looking it up too and it seems like 'Grebo', in the way I presume snowychap means, is a term exclusive to Birmingham, I never realised that.

It's also the guy who shot first in Star Wars as well, yeah dAVe trollface.png

• Like 1

Â