Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

I don't see the point of signing de Jong if we really are after Nigel Reo-Coker.

Well we are really after NRC because we have bid.

He and De Jong would have the DM positions, on average we need about 2 players per position.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van Der Vaart and his fit misses. Also why is every player we are linked with also linked with Spurs? I think we should buy bramble off wigan and see if Spurs want him too!

Villa interest in de Jong

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is tracking Dutch international midfielder Nigel de Jong.

His club Hamburg are keen to offload De Jong - their highest wage earner at around £40,000 a week - after a disappointing season in the Bundesliga which saw them miss out on a Champions League spot.

The 22-year-old joined Hamburg from Ajax for £700,000 18 months ago.

Hamburg sporting director Dietmar Beiersdorfer said: "We have heard rumours of interest from Villa but at the moment there is no news."

O'Neill is looking to strengthen in the centre of the park after selling Gavin McCann to Bolton.

He is still hoping to bring in West Ham's Nigel Reo-Coker although may have to wait until the player has returned from the European Under-21 Championships.

And O'Neill maintains an interest in Ajax's Wesley Sneijder although they face strong competition from Tottenham.

Clicky

De Jong didn't do too well under Thomas Doll as a manager, but then again, neither did the team.

I saw him play a few times, but didn't consider him to be that great. Maybe I was missing something there though.

At least he's a player who can pass the ball.

Apparently Tottenham are fishing around him as well...is there a f*****g midfielder in the world they don't want????!!!!!!

erm apparently not!!..

After SSN came out with all that tosh about Nakamura I agree 100% that most we're linked with is ..comes from just idle journalists wanting to fill pages.

My Dutch-football-watching mate reckons de Jong would be a top right-back. Can't really comment, but could happen I guess.

Especially if he is also used to midfield, most midfielders should - IN THEORY - find full-back a doddle (I mean, Steven Gerrard is probably the best right-back in the world but what a waste that would be :D)

The dutch national team has a reputation of fights and groupings within the squad. There are still many players in that squad that were grouped in colours...whereas van der Saar incident involving Seedorf after a game is well known. The team celebrates the win jumping tight together and van der Saar comes to Seedorf and hits him right in the face.

There were groupings and Seedorf were said to lead the black group whereas van der Saar was said to be leader of the whites. Irritation was high and sometimes still are because the white group see themselves as the better...

If this hasnt left the Holland team then Bouma would be in the black and Sneijder in the white...

It is shameful that this can go on in 21st century...however...it does...

Well, that incident probably had nothing to do with inner problems. It was after they won against Argentina in the WC 98 IIRC and if you look at the pictures VDS is in the middle of it and Seedorf jumps up on someones back and accidently put his arm around VDS' neck. VDS is strangled and just tries to get out of there. I too would've been a little upset if I couldn't breath for a while and I can understand that Seedorf was a bit annouyed as he didn't know what'd happened. That incident was defintley blown out of proportions, IMO. And it was almost 10 years ago when neither Bouma nor Sneijder were in the team.

But can someone tell me why it is much more attractive with a dutch manager for a dutch player in the PL when he certainly knows english anyway? I mean, if I was to chose between a team managed by Alex Ferguson and a team managed by one of the few swedes who's managed an english team (not the national team, mind you) I'd never chose the swedes tram just because he was there. Now I think I'm babbling.

I think that it is an easy target to place every midfielder in Tottenham folder...especially if the players are dutch!

De Jong and Sneijder is upcoming and great players so really it isnt big news that a few clubs would challenge Villas bid or interest. If Villa did get these players it would be absolutely remarkable signings!

The club would change from being a mediocre team to a very talented and promising team!

In the General's thread, his latest reply reads:

6. I am sorry but I just cannot speculate or comment on signings.
Would anybody here take this as confirmation that we have actually made signings, as the General doesn't refer to potential signings?

..or perhaps I'm just reading too much into it ;)

Would anybody here take this as confirmation that we have actually made signings, as the General doesn't refer to potential signings?

You are reading too much into it. I know he has a military background but I doubt he is sending us coded information. :)

You are reading too much into it. He has stated before that he isnt involved in that because it is solely on MON and Lerners shoulders. Of course he would know what signings we´ve made, but he wont comment on them until it is confirmed by the club.

I doubt very much that we´ve made signings yet because it would easily be found out that someone is having a medical at Villa Park. I do think that we would´ve had one or two signings onboard but I believe that we have missed out on a couple of players. Just a feeling that it hasnt been easy for MON and Lerner because there is a few moneybags out hunting too. It doesnt matter if you are loaded with money...the transfer arena is still tough because players might not want to come...they might not be available and so on.

most midfielders should - IN THEORY - find full-back a doddle (I mean, Steven Gerrard is probably the best right-back in the world but what a waste that would be )

True that about midfielders at right back.

Essien is probably better than Gerrard to illustrate the point.

which players have we missed out on? Tricella dnt make stupid statements without facts.

Why do you think it is stupid statements? Ok it is not grounded on facts, just speculations...but to be perfectly fair...so is the idea that we havent missed out.

What I mean is that I do believe that MON has contacted players and they´ve said that they didnt want to go to Villa. I also do believe that we have missed out on player/s that has signed for other clubs already. This has nothing to do with MON or Lerner, simply the fact that we arent a big club...yet...and we arent playing in Europe.

We feel proud about Lerner and MON...and we should...but so far they havent proved to the world outside Villa that they are a force to fear. All they know is that Villa has a new owner with reportingly high personal wealth, but this doesnt say anything about how much a threat Villa is in transfer market really.

A big profile signing would turn everyones head to Villa...but as it stands now...we are not the most attractive club around. In Europe we might be in the top 20-30 club area. I think it is very easy for us to go blind and think that we have such a huge attraction level...but that is simply not truth. It will change, but the way Ellis has been destroying the reputation and the attraction factor it will take either time or huge high profile signings to regain our worthy place in the transfer arena.

Name of players? I can't think of one player who has signed for a club that we were actually in for! I think your just sitting on Football Manager with your dream team and making all these assumptions. We are targeting players in the mould of Carew and Young, ambitious players. What you need to think about not every top player will join the big clubs. In my honest opinion when the season starts you will be eating humble pie.

Boro managed to sign high profile players in the past and you don't get a football club much less tempting for a foreign player than them. Give them and the club they play for enough money and they will come.