Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Bristol City's interest is irrelevant, there is no way he'll be heading there.

Yeah but you gotta admit, it gets my point across nicely ;)

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should not be aiming for Naismith's quality. Granted he is a decent player, no disprespect to him but he is not going to take us forward. What we need is a QAULITY and PROVEN striker who we KNOW will get us goals in the Premier League.

I'm talking about Defoe, Bent, Ashton, Owen, Van Nistelrooy, Drogba, Henry...

Craig Gordon has shone at international level and in the last year has attracted interest from Bayern Munich, Man Utd and Arsenal not to mention praise from Buffon.

Boruc has performed admirably in the Champions League and has had a great season in the SPL.

Naismith, I admit has not proved he is of Premiership class as he has only done it at SPL level.

However, I suspect that aside from the goalkeepers who are probably the two best currently playing in Britain. MON has bigger fish to fry over the summer. Remember with those bigger players O'Neill will have to take his time making his decision , attempting to convince them Villa Park is the place to be next season. I'm certain the early player rumours are nowhere near the extent of O'Neill's ambitions - people just need to be pateint.

What I am saying is that assessing those players that do shine is difficult. Is such a player truly PL standard? or are they good because they scored a hatrick/kept a clean sheet against Dumfermline?

Its a far inferior league to the dutch, german leagues, and probably the scandinavian ones aswell.

Have you seen the saves he's made for the past 2 seasons?....and the mistakes Sorenson's made!

The same could be said the other way round.

Having seen a lot more of Sorensen this season than Foster (obviously), I can think of one big mistake that Tommy has made resulting in a goal (Boro away), and can think of two for Foster just off the top of my head (Robinson's goal for Spurs, Vassell's goal for Man City). If I can think of those, I'm fairly sure there must be more.

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes.

Sorenson is lucky to be playing in front of a far better defence, and they often bail him out. The amount of goals we concede fomr set pieces is definetly higher because of the fact hes in goal for me. Mellberg, and as a result, Laursen, do NOT trust him in anything.

Hes made loads of mistakes this season, not necceserily resulting in a goal, off the top of my head one being his kick away to westham straight to dino neck. Also off the top of my head Milners shot away at newcastle when he sort of just watched it go in over his head.

Anyway yes, I do take your point keepers make mistakes, but Id rather have Foster as he'll sort out our back 4 from set plays, and keep us in games with saves that are not meant to be made.

Hes one of the best keepers ive ever seen in a 1-on-1 situation. He comes flying out before the forward sets themselves and so often smothers the ball.

Have you seen the saves he's made for the past 2 seasons?....and the mistakes Sorenson's made!

The same could be said the other way round.

Having seen a lot more of Sorensen this season than Foster (obviously), I can think of one big mistake that Tommy has made resulting in a goal (Boro away), and can think of two for Foster just off the top of my head (Robinson's goal for Spurs, Vassell's goal for Man City). If I can think of those, I'm fairly sure there must be more.

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes.

This is true and Sorensons mistakes are not why I would rate Foster above him. My reasons for doing so are based on aerial command, organisational ability and age. Sorenson is generally as good as most other top keepers in the world at the moment (including Foster) at shot stopping, he severely lacks in the other departments.

Personally, goal keeper is not a priority position to be replaed for me but if we are going to do it, Foster would be a good choice.

I'd suggest Berger is not going to give us a full season and Maloney is best played in the hole, so left wing for me is still a bit of a problem area given that Barry now seems to be a full time centre mid. This is on the basis that Young is now being used on the right full time. If Young is used on the left (which I thought was his best position pre-Villa) then my concern would be right wing.

Personally, goal keeper is not a priority position to be replaed for me but if we are going to do it, Foster would be a good choice.

The fact that we have been vulnerable at set pieces suggests that is one area we need to improve on.

He makes too many mistakes for me, that free kick at Boro, the pen at Man City (ok it was a dodgy decision by Halsey), the Lescott goal at VP, the goal at Chelsea).

Does not command his area enough for me. But this debate about Villa keepers has been going on for the last 30 years as far as I can tell.