Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spurs are far from having a warchest. I've got a pal who is involved at Spurs and I know that, as unbelievable as it sounds, Jol is under pressure to deliver. The board wanted CL qual. this year and they might not even get Uefa at this point. Everyone knows that Spurs invested in youth which is admirable, but what people don't realise is that the investment was about 60m pounds since Jol took over. Any manager who spends at that level will be expected to deliver. Also, like any club that spends at that level, they've not much left in the kitty. They might spend a few quid tweaking here and there but any big signing will have to be funded by sales.

i.e why the rumours about Keane, Defoe and Berbatov persist even though Jol doesn't want to sell any of them

Maybe Jol isn't actually very good...............

I did not say that the clubs cannot decide when a player leaves, or that it was entirely down to a player when they leave.

never said you did, just clarifying to the original poster as it seemed like you were inferring that they had no understanding of how transfers work.

Sorry GlastonSpurs, but what you just said about contracts and stuff is way off.

If he wants to leave he will go. Spurs, like other clubs, would not want to keep

an unhappy player because of all the side-effects it would create. Players would

be pissed off for his antics, it would create a distance between players, him being

picked in the side over other strikers would be wrong etc etc, last but not least

he would not play as good as he used to.

Contracts are there for clubs not to steal someone off the other, if he wants to leave

you are lucky because you will receive 20M for him. Because of his contract, other

than that his integrity is worth shit when an offer is on the table and he starts weighing

it up. Spurs or Barca? You wouldn't be an ass to choose the latter.

you were inferring that they had no understanding of how transfers work.

Again Not true.

I disagreed with his point that players cannot decide when they leave.

my interpretation of it was as stated if that was not the case then fair enough - NV

I think it is true that JOL is under presure. He ha a strong squad and really should have done better with it. I too find it hard to believe that Spurs will have a lot to spend and I can see Villa being the one club to challenge the top 4. Don't get me wrong I think Spurs could do it as well, just not with JOL, he had his chance. Everton is not going to get stronger, same goes for Bolton and Reading (2'nd year is tough). Portsmouth have a good sqaud but needs to build and they will find it hard to get players others want as well so Harry needs to use some of his old magic, can't really see them getting much better. Newcastle could get better if they get Big Sam, but I don't think they have to much money. City are a mess - the same goes for the rest. Sunderland could be a surprice package.

So in short I see Spurs and Villa as the major contenders, but Spurs seem to have lost the momentum and Villa are just gearing up all the time.

Again you talk is if this "war chest in the summer" is a FACT when you've admitted before it's a RUMOUR. .. .

You only have to look at the most recent Spurs annual accounts (in the black) and then figure in (a) the bumper income we've had this season from extended cup runs and lots of TV coverage and (B) our serious top 4 ambitions, to see that money is not going to be a particular obstacle for Spurs this summer. Of course I don't know for a fact that we'll actually spend all the money we have available, but I do know that it is available.

... you can very easliy finish ninth as well as fifth so nothing is set in stone...

Don't know about 'very easily', but anything is possible of course. Right now we're just two points off 5th place, with a game in hand, better goal difference than the club currently in 5th (Bolton), two home games to come and significantly easier fixtures than most of the teams in 9th - 5th place.

... i can assure you your lot will have us to contend with next season so this so called "banging on the top four" fantasy you've got is not a formality!!...

Have I ever said that we won't have Villa to contend with? I don't know why you seek to turn everything into a Villa-Spurs slanging match.

Why is a top 4 ambition for Spurs a fantasy? Of course it will be very difficult to get there (I've never remotely it described it as a 'formality') and we may not succeed, but I think we are not badly placed for the attempt.

... Spurs fans were saying the same thing regarding Carrick last summer, how "he's not for sale" ...

I've already explained in previous posts why Carrick was a one-off situation, so I won't go over all that again. One swallow does not make a summer and Spurs have little or no history of being a selling club.

... you need to understand when the top four come calling if the player wants to go HE WILL GO!!...

No, the player is under contract, so he will go only if the club concerned decide to let him go.

... Berbatov is not a fool, who's he more likely to win stuff with Spurs of Manure? ....

Right now, with Man. U obviously. But Berbatov is not your average character. He has already played in the Champions League, so it's clearly not the be all and end all for him or else he wouldn't have signed for Spurs in the first place. Besides, for all you know he may relish the challenge of trying to help our team gate-crash the top 4 party rather than joining an already-established team.

In any case, he's only been with Spurs for 10 months and has a long contract period ahead. I'm still waiting to hear the slightest shred of evidence that Spurs will sell or that he wants to leave.

... you say you're getting Bent but if i was Jol i'd focus on your defence as its one of the worst in the league.

No, I said there's a very good chance we'll sign Bent (and sell Defoe), not that it's definite.

As for our defence, yes we need to focus on improving it, and yes we've shipped loads of goals, but that's partly because of:

* Our attacking style of play (99 goals this season so far), which leaves spaces at the back .

* Ledley King being injured for much of the season (luckily he's back now)

* Our still unfilled search for a quality, left-footed LM (which leaves our LB a lot more exposed than might otherwise be the case). A Defoe - Barry swap would suit us well, but I doubt Villa fans would approve.

:bang::bang::bang: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

start a thread in off topic if you want to discuss Spuds and their transfer speculation, it's hard enough keeping up with the wild suggestions and speculation about Villa as it is

A Defoe - Barry swap would suit us well, but I doubt Villa fans would approve.

They wouldn't.

Are you mad.....swap Barry......!!!!!????and exactly why would it suit us...getting another striker and sending off our captain who is a midfielder and probably the most consistent performer??? :o :shock: :bang: :roll:

... as unbelievable as it sounds, Jol is under pressure to deliver. ...

All managers at all clubs are under pressure to deliver.

Luckily for Jol he has delivered so far, tho' even more will be expected next season. He's moved the club up from 14th placed finish (the season before he took over) to two top 6 finishes (5th last season, very likely top 6 this season), including good cup runs this seasons in 3 competitions. I don't know about you, but that sounds like excellent progress to me.

.. The board wanted CL qual. this year and they might not even get Uefa at this point.

I'm sure the board want CL as soon as possible (just like Villa's board must) but I doubt very much if they expected Spurs to finish top 4 this season whilst simultaneously learning to cope with all the extra European games. That's not realistic for a first season in Europe after a long absence.

BTW, it's not really in doubt that we'll qualify for UEFA again. Look at the table and fixtures remaining. The only real question is whether we'll finish 5th again or not.

... what people don't realise is that the investment was about 60m pounds since Jol took over. Any manager who spends at that level will be expected to deliver. Also, like any club that spends at that level, they've not much left in the kitty. ...

This is complete nonsense. What counts is net expenditure (transfer spending minus money coming in for players sold): Spurs have spent around 20m net during the period covered by the 5 transfer windows of Jol's reign so far. That's an average of 4m net per window - not much, especially not for a club with a large income-base like Spurs.

.... They might spend a few quid tweaking here and there but any big signing will have to be funded by sales.

i.e why the rumours about Keane, Defoe and Berbatov persist even though Jol doesn't want to sell any of them

Since your figures are all wrong, so is the conclusion you draw from them.

Yeah but he has got a point.

1) Man Utd score 30 goals more than Liverpool but let in more goals at the back. Are they worse in defense? Not at all. Thus them having 5 out of 5 in the team of the year. Liverpool defend with their entire midfield as well, which makes them very competent but not that great going forward. The art of doing both is something teams should struggle to discover, and Spurs have not done it this season as their defense is utterly wasteful. Sure King is injured but that is no excuse.

2) Look at Leeds in the season of 1996/1997 or something, I think they finished 11th..... look at their goal tally.

I really dont get people who would sell Barry. He seems a scapegoat for a lot of fans, yet he is the most consistent player in the league.Just because he doesnt have shed loads of pace and skill people cant seem to see his qualities, and I think those fans dont really know much about football. You need ball winners, good passers, physical players in any team.

This is controversial, but I would love to see Joey Barton. I know he's a clearing in the woods of the highest order, however, I thought saturday for the first 25 mins he ran the game until we scored, and at VP earlier in the season was MOTM and totally ran the show. He's a good player in a bad team at man citeh, and I think we could do with a direct player down the middle at VP. He wont be at citeh come august.

I really dont get people who would sell Barry. He seems a scapegoat for a lot of fans, yet he is the most consistent player in the league.Just because he doesnt have shed loads of pace and skill people cant seem to see his qualities, and I think those fans dont really know much about football. You need ball winners, good passers, physical players in any team.

I am not sure where you have got the impression that people would sell him or make him a scape goat. There is only one poster I know of on this site who would happily see him replaced.