Nicklas Helenius

bickster

I don't understand how he expects him to become 'ready' if he isn't getting any game-time?

Strength? Conditioning? Location?
Isn't that what pre-season is for?
2 months is hardly enough time.

Given how crap gabby, wiemann, tonev, kozak have been surely he deserves a go??? he cant be any worse, we havent scored for bloody ages so he might be worth a punt although I admit I have never seen him play.

Yet it is enough time for Tonev, Okore et al. I'm still not quite sure why Helenius is being treated as a special case on here?

Tonev's role doesn't include being a strong player who needs to bulk up. Tonev is also 2/3 years older.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Yet it is enough time for Tonev, Okore et al. I'm still not quite sure why Helenius is being treated as a special case on here?

Tonev's role doesn't include being a strong player who needs to bulk up. Tonev is also 2/3 years older.

Helenius is 22, Tonev is 23. Also, I'm not sure how Helenius' role will require lots of strength. He is here (in his own words) to play wide (just like Tonev) and No. 10/second striker. Neither of those roles require strength as a prerequisite.

Edited by Isa

Being a bag of bones works fine for the likes of Crouch. And Helenius isn't a target man. If he's got enough ability he'll be fine. Bowery's upper body strength doesn't make him a premier league footballer. Weimann got muscled out of it by a skinny kid in Morrison etc

No one KNOWS what's going on with Helenius. Maybe he's not training well. Maybe he's not suiting Lambert's tactics. Maybe he's being held out for other reasons.

We will see him eventually.

Edited by Kwan

^^^^ Yup.

And I think the reason people are clamoring to see him get more game time is that our forwards have been pretty poor so far this season, so why not give the kid a go? Give him some needed experience, and he couldn't really fare a lot worse than say Weimann or Agbonlahor have so far.

I also I got his name and number on my shirt so I would like to see him on the pitch occasionally. ;)  But I agree with Kwan that we'll see him eventually, when Lambert thinks he's ready.

He played in one or two pre season friendlies - and the spurs game in the cup. I am bit mystified as to why he is so rated  - he just looks like another £1m punt on a player from a lesser league. I don't understand why everyone is chomping at the bit for him to get game time?

Sure we all hope he is another Benteke - but beyonf 'hope' is there any evidence to support that ?

That's what Kozak starting 3 premier league games in a row does to people. ;) I really don't think Helenius would've done any worse even if leading the line isn't really his position.

Have patience with him :)

Okore stepped up to the challenge (before injury) but costed 3 times what you paid for Helenius - as a defender. Tonev is older and costed 2 times the sum of Helenius. Kozak was around 5 times as expensive. Off course, you can't tell only from the transfer sum, but he was bought because he has potential - and as i have said earlier, he will need time to adjust. To play his game on PL-level, he will need to gain a few kilos and learn to play a little faster. As well as adapting to the role as a wide attacker in the Villa-system (he was the front attacker in AaB). I have not seen Gabby or Weimann, so i cant answer why he is not given the chance, if they are playing as bad as it sounds in here. But i can understand that they have performed earlier, so maybe Lambert wants to stick with them and see if he can get them going again - and not rush things with Helenius. I have seen him when he has come in from the bench, and though he has his moment, he does'nt look like he's ready to play with impact 90 minutes on PL-level. Give him a few more months and hopefuelly he will be able to contribute to the team some time during the spring.

Want to see him either start upfront with Benteke or behind him in a three man midfield in a number ten type roll. Can't stand watching Guzan hoof the ball constantly over 90 mins to Kozak; least Benteke is actually technically gifted on the ball.

He's a squad player, he will get his chance in time, its a long season. I don't get the lets just throw him in, when we have Benteke and Kozak. Helenius came on against Everton, did a brilliant turn then passed the ball straight to an Everton player which lead to them breaking.

I remember watching the obligatory YouTube compilation of Helenius and being really excited about him, and I still am. To me, he's always looked pretty comfortable on the ball whenever he's come on as a sub. He had a good pre-season too and showed a lot of promise, so I hope he gets his chance with a start some time soon.

Have patience with him :)

Okore stepped up to the challenge (before injury) but costed 3 times what you paid for Helenius - as a defender. Tonev is older and costed 2 times the sum of Helenius. Kozak was around 5 times as expensive. Off course, you can't tell only from the transfer sum, but he was bought because he has potential - and as i have said earlier, he will need time to adjust. To play his game on PL-level, he will need to gain a few kilos and learn to play a little faster. As well as adapting to the role as a wide attacker in the Villa-system (he was the front attacker in AaB). I have not seen Gabby or Weimann, so i cant answer why he is not given the chance, if they are playing as bad as it sounds in here. But i can understand that they have performed earlier, so maybe Lambert wants to stick with them and see if he can get them going again - and not rush things with Helenius. I have seen him when he has come in from the bench, and though he has his moment, he does'nt look like he's ready to play with impact 90 minutes on PL-level. Give him a few more months and hopefuelly he will be able to contribute to the team some time during the spring.

Having seen him play regualrly, do you really think he can adapt to playing as a wide forward especially in the system and football we play? I don't see him as particularly quick for example.

IMO he looks like the type you play just off the main forward, someone who'll drop back and link up with midfield, a sort of Berbatov type or even Robbie Keane who did that job well for a few months.

• Like 1

Â