Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He over achieved in his first season and I don't think anyone expected them to qualify out of that group or even do as well as they did. People seem very keen to put them down but common sense will tell you they are at least doing as well as expected this season. Nobody was predicting they would finish in the top four again this season. If I was alien face stavley I would be satisfied with how the project is going. CL money coming in to help offset more spending in January and next summer and so far their spending has looked very good. Tonali and Gordon proving to be great buys.

Didn't expect them to qualify nor finish in the top 4 again.

However, them getting ravaged on injuries and heavily fatigued already is directly on Howe.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Didn't expect them to qualify nor finish in the top 4 again.

However, them getting ravaged on injuries and heavily fatigued already is directly on Howe.

How is that? If they had a lot of hamstrimg or muscle injuries then would have an argument

they don't have a top 4 squad, they subbed a 17 year old off for longstaff last night, lacselles was captain 

howe overachieved getting them there, if they sack him its absolute madness, I've not really seen that much on it though outside of here? seems like a huge overreaction here linked to wishful thinking

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they don't have a top 4 squad, they subbed a 17 year old off for longstaff last night, lacselles was captain 

howe overachieved getting them there, if they sack him its absolute madness, I've not really seen that much on it though outside of here? seems like a huge overreaction here linked to wishful thinking

It's a cliche, but definitely 'victim of his own success' vibes.

23 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Doesn't really need to be hamstring. They've got lots of thigh, knee, ankle injuries. All areas that are going to struggle with being overworked in a footballing sense.

Maybe but depends on the injury still. If players are getting contact injuries in games then its not on Howe for me

We had a few injuries this season and nobody put it on Unai

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe but depends on the injury still. If players are getting contact injuries in games then its not on Howe for me

The lack of depth in the squad is on Howe though. They signed 4 players in the Summer, one of whom went back out on loan. It's not enough to prepare for a campaign where you have to cope with the CL

That's both caused some of the injuries/fatigue and hampered their ability to cope with it

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

2 times he left Chelsea they either got to a Champions League final or won the league the next season. Real Madrid won the Champions League. Spurs had a cup final the week they sacked him. United are a mess in general and he is most successful manager they had since Fergie

I should have been clearer i meant in terms of teams in england

After he left chelsea 2nd time the fans cant stand him and said he left them in a mess.

After he left utd have a look and see what the fans were saying how he left them with a shit squad and he under perfomed. Ok ole and ten have done no better but doesnt necessarily mean he done a really good job there.

Spurs he flopped miserably and that was his most recebt job in england

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We have had injuries but lets be fair not to the level they have

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Injuries is one thing but they look exhausted

9 hours ago, villa89 said:

He over achieved in his first season and I don't think anyone expected them to qualify out of that group or even do as well as they did. People seem very keen to put them down but common sense will tell you they are at least doing as well as expected this season. Nobody was predicting they would finish in the top four again this season. If I was alien face stavley I would be satisfied with how the project is going. CL money coming in to help offset more spending in January and next summer and so far their spending has looked very good. Tonali and Gordon proving to be great buys.

How do we know Tonali was a great buy? He got one goal and zero assists in 13 appearances and was being used increasingly as a sub. He also looked to be too similar a player to Bruno G to fit into their system. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The lack of depth in the squad is on Howe though. They signed 4 players in the Summer, one of whom went back out on loan. It's not enough to prepare for a campaign where you have to cope with the CL

That's both caused some of the injuries/fatigue and hampered their ability to cope with it

Livramento, Tonali, Barnes and Hall all still there, no? That’s pretty decent squad cover to be honest.

They’ve got more depth than us bar maybe central midfield. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not on howe it's on ashworth as that's their model

They're taking it slow in squad building which is what makes believe they won't be knee jerk with howe now

They could and maybe should have bought a ruck of £10-15m squad players like we did when we first came up and they didn't, they bought a couple of £40m+ first teamers instead 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Livramento, Tonali, Barnes and Hall all still there, no? That’s pretty decent squad cover to be honest.

They’ve got more depth than us bar maybe central midfield. 

I disagree, they've got more than us at striker, that's it, maybe sub keeper if you really don't like olsen

You're still looking at lascelles as 3rd choice CB, targett as back up LB, their squad has the likes of Ritchie, krath, dummett, manquillo, it's got plenty of Ghosts from the Ashley era still 

Barnes is out for the season too I think 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I disagree, they've got more than us at striker, that's it, maybe sub keeper if you really don't like olsen

You're still looking at lascelles as 3rd choice CB, targett as back up LB, their squad has the likes of Ritchie, krath, dummett, manquillo, it's got plenty of Ghosts from the Ashley era still 

Barnes is out for the season too I think 

Same depth at keeper, more depth at wing back (or whatever you want to call it?), similar depth at CB (even if our players are better… although slight edit here as I hadn’t counted Mings at all), weaker depth in centre mid than us, more depth out wide, more depth up front.

You can argue the quality of player for sure, but the depth is there. 

Ramsey, McGinn, Bailey on this season's form, and Diaby, with Buedia to come back, is better depth than Newcastle out wide, I wouldn't swap any of those players for one of Newcastle's wide players.

Also not sure how good their depth at fullback is considering they play Livramento and Dan Burns out of position at leftback, even when Targett is fit

I'm not even sure they have better striker depth, I wouldn't be swapping Duran for Wilson for example, Wilson will get goals but he's like another Ingsy, Duran way better for the team with his all round game

Â