Christian Benteke

Kwan

Wow we suck

I'm assuming you're talking about the US. I can't figure why we can produce such great keepers and very determined, aggressive (if typically lacking technical ability and craft) players elsewhere on the pitch, but consistently produce central defenders with the attention span and decision making of a fruit fly. For as long as I can remember, even our very best defenders have always been full of stupid self-inflicted and completely avoidable mistakes.

• Like 1

Watching Benteke stick two past Guzan, I wonder if he might have a little mention of that player of the season award afterwards? :)

USA shouldn't worry too much, this Belgium side are unbelievably talented.

The bigger issue for the US is more that many of the players are still based in MLS

Watching Benteke stick two past Guzan, I wonder if he might have a little mention of that player of the season award afterwards? :)

The bigger issue for the US is more that many of the players are still based in MLS

This is not USA's full team. There are still quite a few starters who did not even make the trip. 

This is not USA's full team. There are still quite a few starters who did not even make the trip. 

Yes but look at our team sheet in the game vs Mexico at the Azteca. Zusi, Gonzalez, Besler, Brad Davis, and Eddie Johnson are all MLS based

Edited by Rovers13

Wow we suck

I'm assuming you're talking about the US. I can't figure why we can produce such great keepers and very determined, aggressive (if typically lacking technical ability and craft) players elsewhere on the pitch, but consistently produce central defenders with the attention span and decision making of a fruit fly. For as long as I can remember, even our very best defenders have always been full of stupid self-inflicted and completely avoidable mistakes.

I don't know either. Friedel's the reason I started to root for Blackburn in the first place, so obviously I'm a huge fan of him and his abilities. Howard's been very good, though I think at this point Guzan is even better than him. We've also created some very  good midfielders, at least premier league class. (Donovan, dempsey, and holden were/are all good enough to be very effective in the prem) However, even our defenders that have been good enough to play in europe always do the stupid errors you referred to.

interestingly with the benteke bid from athletico and comparisons to liverpool for carroll.... carroll was a young player who had done well and shown bags of potential, resulting in him getting a transfer way above the odds....

time has proven that valuation to be way off mark.... as i look at where benteke is in his development now, it is not impossible that he follows a similar path... hope he doesn't, but he is still very early on in his career, and has yet to be injured...

a team like athletico is our worst nightmare with regards to keeping bentekkers for another year.... they will offer regular CL football, the opportunity to play against real and barca regularly, cash to burn and a nice gap left where their star player was before meaning that the team would be built around bentekkers....

lets hope this one has no legs, but i have a nasty feeling about this...

Wow we suck

I teach science in Thailand and live with 4 Americans. I discussed this theory with them. American mainstream sports, by and large, are ball-to-hand based - basketball, American football, baseball etc... Therefore it would seem that you guys from a younger age have had hand-eye co-ordination drilled into you a lot more than say other countries where football (or what you would call soccer) is the most played sport... Hence why you guys can produce outstanding keepers (bar Kasey Keller - there is always an exception) but a lot of your outfield players don't seem to make the grade at the highest level.

interestingly with the benteke bid from athletico and comparisons to liverpool for carroll.... carroll was a young player who had done well and shown bags of potential, resulting in him getting a transfer way above the odds....

time has proven that valuation to be way off mark.... as i look at where benteke is in his development now, it is not impossible that he follows a similar path... hope he doesn't, but he is still very early on in his career, and has yet to be injured...

a team like athletico is our worst nightmare with regards to keeping bentekkers for another year.... they will offer regular CL football, the opportunity to play against real and barca regularly, cash to burn and a nice gap left where their star player was before meaning that the team would be built around bentekkers....

lets hope this one has no legs, but i have a nasty feeling about this...

Not sure Atletico have cash to burn. They have huge debts and apparently about half the Falcao fee is going to third party investors.

Â