Christian Benteke

Kwan

Lukaku has been excellent? The player you seem to be on about is Shane Long, now he is a striker I would have listed down. Lukaku on loan, you remember the we made Kyle Walker good debate, lets purchase our own players and develop them. Berbatov ran the game, are you kidding apart from the first 20mins, I didn't see him after that. As for Holt, an ageing striker, who if we had splashed say 7million on would have seen many fans complain. Also I do have complaints on Lambert as for not purchasing a DM and a CB which was what was required. Also all of the strikers apart from Fletcher have only scored one more goal than Benteke, they are doing fantastic aren't they. I

Lukaku has been excellent for WBA and i will state again that he is one of the reasons why WBA are where they are at the moment and no i wasn't referring to Shane Long. I would have named him if i was, so stop trying to score points where there aren't any. I mentioned Lukaku for two reasons. One he was available on loan and two, we could have used the 7m towards two of the other positions you have highlighted. We could have also got Carrol on loan who i'd forgotton about with a view to buy but if you are going to use the Walker debate for every possible loanee then i take it loaning players in future is not acceptable to you even with a view to buy? If this is the case then we would have made another expensive mistake with a certain midfielder who we found to be shite!

The other strikers i have mentioned would not have missed the sitters that Benteke has missed and that is the crux of my point. This season was not the right time to gamble with lower league players or players not used to the rigours of the Premiership needing time to find their feet especially when for the previous two seasons we have been close to being relegated. We needed to purchase reliable quality to improve a very poor squad right through the spine of our first team. Even giving the manager the benefit of the doubt, he hasn't got the balance right between buying the quality players we needed to improve us while also bringing younger players in. We already had young players coming through into the first team. We didn't need anymore!

Our current position is no fluke!

people going on about how Benteke not finishing chances, fair dues he should have put a few more than his single goal so far in his Villa career but I am prepared to give him time. Look at Torres, went to Chelsea and was shocking all last season, this season he's back up there scoring and looking dangerous again. Benteke is in a very good Belgium team and scoring there so he must be pretty decent, why people seem to think he'll never be good enough for Villa is beyond me. I think we forget when players move club it can be difficult, new team, area, culture and people often expect to much, especially from younger and foreign players. I'll give him time, think he could become a big player for us.

I keep hearing posters excusing Benteke's present form by saying he's scoring for his national team. Didn't Balaban do the same.

On the flip side John Barnes was brilliant for plop but apart from one fabulous goal for England against Brazil his international form was poor. What i'm getting at is that International football and league football are totally different and it doesn't always follow that you will be able to adapt in both types of football or indeed the type of football currently played in the Premier League.

Lukaku has been excellent for WBA and i will state again that he is one of the reasons why WBA are where they are at the moment and no i wasn't referring to Shane Long.

Really? He has only started one leagie match for WBA so far this season. He played 22 minutes agains Liverpool when he scored (debut goal, just like Benteke). Then he played 27 minutes agains Tottenham when they drew 1-1. 45 minutes against Fulham when they lost 3-0. Then he scored when he started against Reading. He played 28 minutes in the 1-1 draw against us, when Long scored the goal when he was not on the pitch. He then played 27 minutes when WBA beat QPR 3-2 (WBA was 2-1 ahead when he entered the pitch). And against City he played 8 minutes when WBA had a 1-1 draw when he entered the pitch.

I keep hearing posters excusing Benteke's present form by saying he's scoring for his national team. Didn't Balaban do the same.

On the flip side John Barnes was brilliant for plop but apart from one fabulous goal for England against Brazil his international form was poor. What i'm getting at is that International football and league football are totally different and it doesn't always follow that you will be able to adapt in both types of football or indeed the type of football currently played in the Premier League.

I think people are smart enough to make up their own minds.

I see a striker physically cut out for this league and with the rare gift of finding space in the box on a regular basis. Its these factors that give me hope the finishing will improve and the goals will come.

Arguing a positive (scoring goals for a good international side) as a negative is the weakest kind of polemic argument.

Lukaku has been excellent for WBA and i will state again that he is one of the reasons why WBA are where they are at the moment and no i wasn't referring to Shane Long. I would have named him if i was, so stop trying to score points where there aren't any. I mentioned Lukaku for two reasons. One he was available on loan and two, we could have used the 7m towards two of the other positions you have highlighted. We could have also got Carrol on loan who i'd forgotton about with a view to buy but if you are going to use the Walker debate for every possible loanee then i take it loaning players in future is not acceptable to you even with a view to buy? If this is the case then we would have made another expensive mistake with a certain midfielder who we found to be shite!

The other strikers i have mentioned would not have missed the sitters that Benteke has missed and that is the crux of my point. This season was not the right time to gamble with lower league players or players not used to the rigours of the Premiership needing time to find their feet especially when for the previous two seasons we have been close to being relegated. We needed to purchase reliable quality to improve a very poor squad right through the spine of our first team. Even giving the manager the benefit of the doubt, he hasn't got the balance right between buying the quality players we needed to improve us while also bringing younger players in. We already had young players coming through into the first team. We didn't need anymore!

Our current position is no fluke!

On the Lukaku debate - I've had a chat with several WBA supporting mates and they all rate Long over Lukaku. Lukaku apparantly misses sitters all the time as well and they complain saying "If Long had been on he'd have scored that"

I think people are smart enough to make up their own minds.

I see a striker physically cut out for this league and with the rare gift of finding space in the box on a regular basis. Its these factors that give me hope the finishing will improve and the goals will come.

Arguing a positive (scoring goals for a good international side) as a negative is the weakest kind of polemic argument.

You need to read my post again. My point was that just because you score goals in international football it doesn't automatically follow that you will also score goals in the Premiership. Before the game against Fulham several posters stated that after Benteke scored for Belgium he would be full of confidence. Didn't work out that way did it.

Really? He has only started one leagie match for WBA so far this season. He played 22 minutes agains Liverpool when he scored (debut goal, just like Benteke). Then he played 27 minutes agains Tottenham when they drew 1-1. 45 minutes against Fulham when they lost 3-0. Then he scored when he started against Reading. He played 28 minutes in the 1-1 draw against us, when Long scored the goal when he was not on the pitch. He then played 27 minutes when WBA bieat QPR 3-2 (WBA was 2-1 ahead when he entered the pitch). And against City he played 8 minutes when WBA had a 1-1 draw when he entered the pitch.

Goes to prove what I saying. Even with limited time on the pitch he's still scoring goals and also getting into positions to score more. We could have saved ourselves 7m by getting him on loan or indeed even Carrol from plop with a view to buy at the end of the season funded by the extra revenue from TV and used the 7m to purchase the DM we so badly needed.

Goes to prove what I saying. Even with limited time on the pitch he's still scoring goals and also getting into positions to score more. We could have saved ourselves 7m by getting him on loan or indeed even Carrol from plop with a view to buy at the end of the season funded by the extra revenue from TV and used the 7m to purchase the DM we so badly needed.

Yes but those minutes aren't taking into account his misses. Lukaku has had some bad misses!

You can't count misses for Benteke and then discount misses for Lukaku

Yes but those minutes aren't taking into account his misses. Lukaku has had some bad misses!

You can't count misses for Benteke and then discount misses for Lukaku

Agreed, Lukaku has also missed some sitters as well but my point was that we could have got Lukaku on loan with a view to buy or indeed Carrol, leaving 7m to be spent on the DM we still so badly need.

Goals.

I sincerely hope your right.

Lukaku and Benteke are very similar in that they will both get and score chances and also miss some....However, I would prefer the club to own the player rather loan them in. I can see the point about spending the money in other areas, but say Lukaku had a good season for us, we would then have to replace his goals and performances next yr, which would in theory start us off again.....I would also say, I'm not sure Chelsea would have loaned us Lukaku, Steve Clarke worked at Chelsea for numerous and has a good understanding with them, I wouldve thought he used his connections there to get the loan.

Lukaku and Benteke are very similar in that they will both get and score chances and also miss some....However, I would prefer the club to own the player rather loan them in. I can see the point about spending the money in other areas, but say Lukaku had a good season for us, we would then have to replace his goals and performances next yr, which would in theory start us off again.....I would also say, I'm not sure Chelsea would have loaned us Lukaku, Steve Clarke worked at Chelsea for numerous and has a good understanding with them, I wouldve thought he used his connections there to get the loan.

All excellent points and i would tend to agree with the Steve Clarke permutation. I do realize that even if we had loaned Lukaku chances were that Chelsea would have wanted him back again and we would have had to replace the player. We could have also loaned Andy Carrol? However i have stated previously that if there wasn't a view to buy in place for either player then we still could have replaced the those goals more easily with the increase in TV revenue at the end of the season while spending the 7m on the DM we so badly needed before the season started!

The Andy Carroll who hasn't scored any goals yet? Sorry Morpheous you bang on about stats when it suits you. Lukaku has only scored one more goal than Benteke, you say we could have used the 7Million elsewhere for a DM. It's simple you don't rate Benteke, leave it that rather than your constant tripe over the past few pages!

• Like 1

The Andy Carroll who hasn't scored any goals yet? Sorry Morpheous you bang on about stats when it suits you. Lukaku has only scored one more goal than Benteke, you say we could have used the 7Million elsewhere for a DM. It's simple you don't rate Benteke, leave it that rather than your constant tripe over the past few pages!

I wouldn't try and argue with a WUM mate.

Â