Christian Benteke

Kwan

Well here the agent and Tekkers are backing themselves into a large corner.

Hand on heart, I am beginning to see Benteke as the victim here. The only thing he is guilty of is putting all his faith in an agent whom sees his player as a meal ticket. Everything I am reading (from what the club has said to Pete Colleys quote earlier) points to the agent.

Im pretty cool about this situation now, and can see this backfiring big time on Kismet and his team. He comes across as a little man trying to be the big man in a big pool, but deep down he knows he is out of his depth.

Lambert is chipping away at this with the player as we speak, you can be sure of that.

I can still see him staying.

Yeah, I wondered if this could back fire big time on Benteke. If Spurs don't up their bid and Al Jazeera or some Russian team come in for him with £30m. Would be ideal for us as it doesn't strengthen the likes of Spurs but CB ends up off in some footballing back water sweating on his WC place.

John Carew’s twitter sum’s up what Benteke doesn’t get…our club is special…do the business on the pitch  and we will see the player as a legend…we are a sleeping giant.  Our away support is the best that I remember (lived in NZ for the past 8 years but I doubt it has changed).  I can’t wait for the giant to awake and I do believe with Lambert it can be done.

If Benteke wants to leave , let him go if so. Then he doesnt deserve to be part of Villa. Thats his loss , not our loss.

Love it how John Carew speaks like he always gave his all for Villa. 

Can't deny his love for the club though

Thats my point, if he had loved it that much he would have given his all, all of the time. Pretty sure there were even rumours of him faking injuries. Disgrace if true.

Never head rumours of this - drivel

Pretty sure it was during the Houllier days. Not sure if it was Mysteryman. Anyway, true or not, John Carew's conduct was not always professional. Fully believe that if he had decided to turn up for a full season we would have got top 4.

Oh and I love the fact that because you have not heard of it it is drivel. 

He openly admits it himself - it wasn't just for us it was for everyone he ever played for. Think the exact quote was something like..if I put 100% into my football i'd be the best player in the world. He was just a pretty lazy player - still love him. Villa legend.

If that is true, I honestly find that a disgrace.

If Benteke wants to leave , let him go if so. Then he doesnt deserve to be part of Villa. Thats his loss , not our loss.

Hence why he's bigger than me and you. Love Carew.

I reckon Carew's love for Villa must be at least partly thanks to whoever thought up that song. Surely one of the most memorable and loudly-sung player songs in football history. He must have loved hearing his name sung that way.

If his name had been Przybyszewski or something, things might never have been the same.

I loved knowing Carew was leading the line.

He didnt get on with Houllier so he stood no chance with him BUT I dont remember him trying to disturb the squad like Dunne for example.

Bent is a great player but he doesnt suit the style of play we have now.  Also he hasn't been the same since his injury.

Benteke suited the system we played last season.  How many goals were due to Weinman?  One in my head is I think against QPR where the wee man skipped past players and cut back for CB who nearly fluffed it but it went in.

I made no such definitive statement concerning Benteke as i simply don't know why he is leaving. Look at the posts i quoted and my reply was a general answer to those posts about our ability to build a team.

You on the other hand have made a definitive statement on why Benteke is leaving and in doing that you have again driven yourself into a corner which you're now trying to get out of.

Answer the question. How do you know the reason for Benteke leaving is due to wages?

Yes you did

Team who have over the last three seasons flirted with relegation. Club chairman who is more interested in wage structure than the investment needed to push us on. (Lack of investment in January very nearly rebounded on us). Lack of investment could also be construed as lack of ambition by players and agents alike. Manager trying to restructure the club on a limited budget with youthful inexperience which could also be seen by players and agents as trying to do the impossible in a league run and based on investment which equates to continual lack of success.

Which equates to players continually wanting to leave and not giving us the chance to build a team which has enough quality to challenge for the success that will actually keep the quality players at the club.

I don't see Benteke's name there so i made no definitive statement concerning the reasons why Benteke is leaving. You on the other hand did so i'll ask the question again.

How do you know the reason for Benteke's transfer request is down to wages?

The implication was clearly, who else would you be talking about when you say "players continually wanting to leave"?

How do you the reason for Benteke's transfer is down to the things you listed?

I don't know the reason why Benteke is leaving and have never stated that I did. You however have stated his reason for leaving is due to wages. How do you know this and answer the question.

So when you talked about the reasons (or what you thought were the reasons) for players "continually wanting to leave" you were not referring to Benteke, despite this thread being about him and despite his obvious desire to leave?

Can't deny his love for the club though

Thats my point, if he had loved it that much he would have given his all, all of the time. Pretty sure there were even rumours of him faking injuries. Disgrace if true.

Never head rumours of this - drivel

Pretty sure it was during the Houllier days. Not sure if it was Mysteryman. Anyway, true or not, John Carew's conduct was not always professional. Fully believe that if he had decided to turn up for a full season we would have got top 4.

Oh and I love the fact that because you have not heard of it it is drivel. 

He openly admits it himself - it wasn't just for us it was for everyone he ever played for. Think the exact quote was something like..if I put 100% into my football i'd be the best player in the world. He was just a pretty lazy player - still love him. Villa legend.

If that is true, I honestly find that a disgrace.

If Carew had been focused and hardworking throughout his career there is no way he'd be an Aston Villa player. We were the biggest benifactors of his attitude.

The guy lived the dream off of his natural ability, partying by night and still banging in goals for Aston Villa by day (as well as banging most of the women on Broad St).

What a champion :D

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

i was thinking what u guys said by why does all the good players want to leave. well maybe there is something that the villa board is doing wrong? i mean what do we know what happend at the negoating table? what do we know what happend intern? what if the highest bid of an salary was like £25K/week? 

Spurs fan here. I think this whole situation is a bit shit and totally understand where most of you lot are coming from. Basically the whole process of signing a player seems like bullshit. As a Spurs fan we've had to put up with it for years, in recent memory first it was Carrick (although in his case we agreed the fee pretty quickly), then the whole Berbatov saga, then Modric to Chelsea, and next it will be Bale. One thing I thought Levy got right in most of those negotiations was he didn't let himself be bullied by a player who went on strike. In the case of Berbatov he went right down to the wire to the extent that it **** our season quite badly, but for me it was worth it because it sent a message to Utd, other clubs, and players that it wasn't worth playing those games. Next to try was Chelsea, and here the message was reinforced, we kept the player and he played very well for us in the subsequent season and then we sold him to a club of our choice and not the one that had tried so hard to unsettle him. Then this summer comes along and Real start making a big play for Bale and Levy says he's not interested, but the player (perhaps?) decides he can't stomach the fight and so to does Perez with miracle of miracles Real backing down. The moral of the tale being that sometimes you have to be prepared to screw yourself in the short-term for longer term gain!

On the Benteke thing then I think that Villa need to decide what price they think he's worth. If it's truly £25m, if they think he'll be worth than that next year, and will add a lot to the side in the mean-time then they should hang on to him. Personally having watched him a few times I wouldn't value him anywhere near that highly, and I'd be surprised if other clubs do either, but that's not the point, Villa should have a valuation (which doesn't have to be the first price they set-out in the negotiation) and not sell him for less than that.

Which brings me to our potential involvement in this deal. I really, really hope that Levy doesn't try and play games on this one, I hope he doesn't try and do a Utd, or a Chelsea on you guys because if he does I think everyone loses, and if I were Villa I'd play the same trick on us as we did on those other clubs. Surely Levy gets this though? I think it's perfectly reasonable to test the water with a low-ball offer, because that's all part of the negotiation, but at the same time we should quickly move towards the price we're willing to pay, and if that happens to be too low for Villa, then we should shake their hands and move on to a different target. Basically I don't think we should try and leverage a player's discontent to get a better price, Benteke's already done what he's done and that should be it, now negotiate like grown-ups and do our best to reach a deal.

Quite a well reasoned opinion there mate.

• Like 1

On the Benteke thing then I think that Villa need to decide what price they think he's worth. If it's truly £25m, if they think he'll be worth than that next year, and will add a lot to the side in the mean-time then they should hang on to him. Personally having watched him a few times I wouldn't value him anywhere near that highly, and I'd be surprised if other clubs do either,

I stopped here.

I made no such definitive statement concerning Benteke as i simply don't know why he is leaving. Look at the posts i quoted and my reply was a general answer to those posts about our ability to build a team.

You on the other hand have made a definitive statement on why Benteke is leaving and in doing that you have again driven yourself into a corner which you're now trying to get out of.

Answer the question. How do you know the reason for Benteke leaving is due to wages?

Yes you did

Team who have over the last three seasons flirted with relegation. Club chairman who is more interested in wage structure than the investment needed to push us on. (Lack of investment in January very nearly rebounded on us). Lack of investment could also be construed as lack of ambition by players and agents alike. Manager trying to restructure the club on a limited budget with youthful inexperience which could also be seen by players and agents as trying to do the impossible in a league run and based on investment which equates to continual lack of success.

Which equates to players continually wanting to leave and not giving us the chance to build a team which has enough quality to challenge for the success that will actually keep the quality players at the club.

I don't see Benteke's name there so i made no definitive statement concerning the reasons why Benteke is leaving. You on the other hand did so i'll ask the question again.

How do you know the reason for Benteke's transfer request is down to wages?

The implication was clearly, who else would you be talking about when you say "players continually wanting to leave"?

How do you the reason for Benteke's transfer is down to the things you listed?

I don't know the reason why Benteke is leaving and have never stated that I did. You however have stated his reason for leaving is due to wages. How do you know this and answer the question.

So when you talked about the reasons (or what you thought were the reasons) for players "continually wanting to leave" you were not referring to Benteke, despite this thread being about him and despite his obvious desire to leave?

Answer the question Mantis. How do you know Benteke's transfer request is due to wages?

Well there's a surprise. 

I bet you're a real laugh in social situations woody.

So my whole social appearance is in question because I find it a disgrace that John Carew openly admits he ripped off the people paying his wages?

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

On the Benteke thing then I think that Villa need to decide what price they think he's worth. If it's truly £25m, if they think he'll be worth than that next year, and will add a lot to the side in the mean-time then they should hang on to him. Personally having watched him a few times I wouldn't value him anywhere near that highly, and I'd be surprised if other clubs do either,

I stopped here.

Me too.

Spurs fan here. I think this whole situation is a bit shit and totally understand where most of you lot are coming from. Basically the whole process of signing a player seems like bullshit. As a Spurs fan we've had to put up with it for years, in recent memory first it was Carrick (although in his case we agreed the fee pretty quickly), then the whole Berbatov saga, then Modric to Chelsea, and next it will be Bale. One thing I thought Levy got right in most of those negotiations was he didn't let himself be bullied by a player who went on strike. In the case of Berbatov he went right down to the wire to the extent that it **** our season quite badly, but for me it was worth it because it sent a message to Utd, other clubs, and players that it wasn't worth playing those games. Next to try was Chelsea, and here the message was reinforced, we kept the player and he played very well for us in the subsequent season and then we sold him to a club of our choice and not the one that had tried so hard to unsettle him. Then this summer comes along and Real start making a big play for Bale and Levy says he's not interested, but the player (perhaps?) decides he can't stomach the fight and so to does Perez with miracle of miracles Real backing down. The moral of the tale being that sometimes you have to be prepared to screw yourself in the short-term for longer term gain!

On the Benteke thing then I think that Villa need to decide what price they think he's worth. If it's truly £25m, if they think he'll be worth than that next year, and will add a lot to the side in the mean-time then they should hang on to him. Personally having watched him a few times I wouldn't value him anywhere near that highly, and I'd be surprised if other clubs do either, but that's not the point, Villa should have a valuation (which doesn't have to be the first price they set-out in the negotiation) and not sell him for less than that.

Which brings me to our potential involvement in this deal. I really, really hope that Levy doesn't try and play games on this one, I hope he doesn't try and do a Utd, or a Chelsea on you guys because if he does I think everyone loses, and if I were Villa I'd play the same trick on us as we did on those other clubs. Surely Levy gets this though? I think it's perfectly reasonable to test the water with a low-ball offer, because that's all part of the negotiation, but at the same time we should quickly move towards the price we're willing to pay, and if that happens to be too low for Villa, then we should shake their hands and move on to a different target. Basically I don't think we should try and leverage a player's discontent to get a better price, Benteke's already done what he's done and that should be it, now negotiate like grown-ups and do our best to reach a deal.

Nice to have you on here, Just a few things think its gone past Levy behaving nicely, if you think he or your club have nothing to do with Benteke transfer request then I'd say you need to catch up with what goes on. You do not want to pay what we want, this will be a deadlock IMHO.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

If I were a spurs fan - I would want my club to pay £25m for Bentekke. He's only only 22 and scored 19 goals - and created in 40% of villa's other goals. Ive been watching villa for 40 years - In my opinion he really is that good. If you kept Bale and had Bentekke - I have you as a good outside bet for the prem title next year.

The only doubts I have are:-

• He only has one season in the prem
  •  
  • Towards the end of season other seemed to try and wind him up - and Bentekke took the bait.

But I really think he would be last peice of the jigsaw for you.

TartarungaJones

I have no doubt the Villa have set their price...25 mil..and having watched him a few times he is definetly worth the price.  I also believe Lerner will hold out for that and has history of doing so...Downing, Barry, Milner.

The most obvious conclusion from your post is do not allow yourself to be bullied by Levy............& we won't.

Â