Christian Benteke

Kwan

Benteke is more than replacable. There were numerous occasions last season when he looked cack. He is no big loss to us IMO.

I think some people are putting too mich emphasis on him leaving, he is good but not that good. We will be fine without him.

Notice periods work both ways, it means they could get rid of me too. Footballers can sit on their fat backsides if they so choose

In real life if I sign a contract I'm generally expected to honour it, football isn't real life the players have way too much power now, used to be the other way round but the pendulum has swung way too far the other way. It would be great if an owner took this to the European court and won a la Bosman. I'm not sure of the law on this in particular but an EU employment lawyer I know said that if clubs took FIFA to the court over international friendlies then the clubs would be very likely to win.

You are also allowed to leave with a notice period. Football is not the real world.

Clubs can play off contracts if they wish too. If we were taking large loss's like we have with all the crap we've brought previously than id agree contracts in football are wrong. But the fact is the ball is in our court because of this contract. He doesn't have to honour it but we do have to get paid the asking price.

i hate the "anyone else would move for more wages" arguement

if i was 22 and paid £1m a year and got offered £2m a year by one club and £3m a year by the other i might just be tempted to say you know what im filthy **** rich either way...

its not the same between living in the real world and deciding between £20k and £30k a year

Benteke is more than replacable. There were numerous occasions last season when he looked cack. He is no big loss to us IMO.

I think some people are putting too mich emphasis on him leaving, he is good but not that good. We will be fine without him.

But i'd rather keep him and build around him. 

You are all hypocrites calling him greedy. Not one of you would turn down quadrupling your wages. I don't care how much you lie about it.

In life there is also a thing called honour and integrity so im no hypocrite. id prefer to have these. On 20k a week it wouldnt be hard to have these attributes. I would not have called him Greedy if he had stayed another year.

I think he's irreplacable at the moment. Players like him aren't everywhere. That being said yeah he was obviously in-consistent at times. Agbonlahor pulled us out of trouble a lot near the end of the season. Norwich was a game to best illustrate this. Benteke was invisible that game.

Didn't he contribute to 50% of our goals last season?

I'm still of the opinion that 20-25m is too low. 28-35m seems right to me.

Edited by PieFacE

i hate the "anyone else would move for more wages" arguement

if i was 22 and paid £1m a year and got offered £2m a year by one club and £3m a year by the other i might just be tempted to say you know what im filthy **** rich either way...

its not the same between living in the real world and deciding between £20k and £30k a year

Exactly, the only time money is a problem in life is when you dont have any

• Like 1

I think he's irreplacable at the moment. Players like him aren't everywhere. That being said yeah he was obviously in-consistent at times. Agbonlahor pulled us out of trouble a lot near the end of the season. Norwich was a game to best illustrate this. Benteke was invisible that game.

Benteke got 23 goals last season. JPA got 23 goals for us in a season too and was cack the two seasons after. Helenius is going to be class and we will sign another once Christian buggers off to London and flops.

Mantis what are you on? I mean where have i stated that we should 'get inferior players just so they won't perform really well and then leave after a good season or two?'

We can also sign good experienced players as a base in which we can then build our youth around. We did it too much under O'Neil and not enough under Lambert so we have never really had a decent balance between both and if we continue to base our transfer policy on mainly youth then due to our present standing in football at the moment if those youthful players progress then they will be off in the same way as Benteke.

I have no doubt that if Lowton and Westwood have another good season then they will be cherry picked too so the vicious circle continues of buying and selling while we stagnate because we simply can't offer even the glimmer of european football at the moment.

Thats what i meant by 'rich financially and poor on success.'

Thing is, if a player comes in and performs like Benteke did last season then you will always have bigger clubs after him.

I think you're misinterpreting Lambert's approach. It isn't about deliberately buying prospects with the intention of selling them on at a higher price in the future. Clearly the club would prefer to keep Benteke.

........................Christain Bentekke walks into a bar..........

...has one drink and walks straight back out again

No i'm not misinterpreting Lambert's approach at all and i know he wants to build something here but its the economics of the situation we are in.

Team who have over the last three seasons flirted with relegation. Club chairman who is more interested in wage structure than the investment needed to push us on. (Lack of investment in January very nearly rebounded on us). Lack of investment could also be construed as lack of ambition by players and agents alike. Manager trying to restructure the club on a limited budget with youthful inexperience which could also be seen by players and agents as trying to do the impossible in a league run and based on investment which equates to continual lack of success.

Which equates to players continually wanting to leave and not giving us the chance to build a team which has enough quality to challenge for the success that will actually keep the quality players at the club.

And yet even when Lerner was spending big and we were pushing for top 4 our best player (Barry) still wanted to leave. It's naive to think that Benteke's leaving because Lambert's buying inexperienced players or because we had a relegation scare. It's principally about wages.

Just what is it that you would like to see (realistically) happen at Villa exactly?

Didn't he contribute to 50% of our goals last season?

I'm still of the opinion that 20-25m is too low. 28-35m seems right to me.

Yeah because he was played down the middle up front every game. If Bent had started every game he would have scored 50% of our goals.

We WILL replace him

Notice periods work both ways, it means they could get rid of me too. Footballers can sit on their fat backsides if they so choose

In real life if I sign a contract I'm generally expected to honour it, football isn't real life the players have way too much power now, used to be the other way round but the pendulum has swung way too far the other way. It would be great if an owner took this to the European court and won a la Bosman. I'm not sure of the law on this in particular but an EU employment lawyer I know said that if clubs took FIFA to the court over international friendlies then the clubs would be very likely to win.

You are also allowed to leave with a notice period. Football is not the real world.

Clubs can play off contracts if they wish too. If we were taking large loss's like we have with all the crap we've brought previously than id agree contracts in football are wrong. But the fact is the ball is in our court because of this contract. He doesn't have to honour it but we do have to get paid the asking price.

Yes but if the club pay the player off the player is hardly losing anything in fact many are trying to engineer it, I don't have a particular issue with Benteke I half expected it after his behaviour at Genk but he kept us in the Premier League after all which we have to thank him for, it's the general principle that irritates me

Edited by Adamus

Yes but if the club pay the player off the player isn't hardly losing anything in fact many are trying to engineer it, I don't have a particular issue with Benteke I half expected it after his behaviour at Genk but he kept us in the Premier League after all which we have to thank him for, it's the general principle that irritates me

Mate I agree that football contracts generally stink and are geared toward player power but my point is in the situation it's a blessing for us.

I don't think it's just about wages. It's about grasping your chances to be the best you can. You only live once.

Except that this probably wouldn't have been his best chance. If he's as good as most of us think he is then he could've stayed for another season and likely had much better options next summer.

Â