Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I think fans that got annoyed by his comments are a little overly sensitive, but I can understand that feeling. What has happened since is a total overreaction where many have ridiculed and isolated him in a way that probably affected the spirits of the whole team. Every player must have noticed the boos and wondered, what the heck. All this while we were supposed to fight for our premier league lives.

I don't think Bacuna is a scapegoat as such, but he has been subjected to abuse he didn't really deserve, and that hurt the whole team. Not much, but anyway.

Judging by this board, there's no way back. Shame.

I must have missed the announcement about booing becoming reclassified as abuse, when did footballers become quite so closeted? I don't go in for booing Villa players myself but it sure as hell isn't abuse.

And you hit the nail on the head with the "all this while we were supposed to fight for our PL lives", just not how I think you intended it.

People were angry with Bacuna because he like a lot of others wasn't fighting for it and appeared on the pitch and with those comments off it not to care.

I don't feel particularly strongly about him and what he has done I just take issue with some of fabrication and revisionist BS in this thread where people are seeking to defend him and blame the fans.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, heid3ster said:

Benteke talked to the press a few times about wanting to move, wanting to make a step up and play in Europe. He got some criticism for interviews like that here on the boards, but no one ever booed him on the pitch. You know the difference? Benteke backed up his talk with great performances on the pitch. Football fans will forgive a lot if the player performs well; Bacuna did not.

Quite. Because Benteke was better than us but carried us and played like he cared.

Meanwhile Bacuna was frankly lucky to be getting a game, making horrific errors and seemingly not the slightest bit bothered about anything other than his next move.

• Like 1

Him and Lescott are the ones I want of our club the most. 

For me Bacuna has Zero talent and zero effort. His attitude stinks, he couldn't care less about this club, that has given him a chance to play in the premier league, when no one else will.

My worry is that every other club sees how pathetic he is and we are stuck with him for a few more years 

I keep things simple.  At a time when we needed everyone at the club to be giving their all to the fight to survive, it seemed pretty apparent that more than a few were not.   Leandro, in that context said he wanted to play at a club at a higher level.   

it provided evidence of higher goals for self than for US. (Villa). I've got no problem with a player wanting to play at a higher level, I hope they all aspire to be much better.  But if you show us your aspiration with effort, concentration, discipline, and performance I'm fine.  Showing me  your pipe dreams while you are currently rolling over on MY aspirations (as well as your own) and I'm pissed. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I must have missed the announcement about booing becoming reclassified as abuse, when did footballers become quite so closeted? I don't go in for booing Villa players myself but it sure as hell isn't abuse.

And you hit the nail on the head with the "all this while we were supposed to fight for our PL lives", just not how I think you intended it.

People were angry with Bacuna because he like a lot of others wasn't fighting for it and appeared on the pitch and with those comments off it not to care.

I don't feel particularly strongly about him and what he has done I just take issue with some of fabrication and revisionist BS in this thread where people are seeking to defend him and blame the fans.

Yes, I took another angle into the whole issue, where his extraordinary (in my opinion) treatment by fans was a distraction in itself.

And there's VERY little defending of Bacuna on VT, it's like it's not allowed.

4 hours ago, heid3ster said:

Benteke talked to the press a few times about wanting to move, wanting to make a step up and play in Europe. He got some criticism for interviews like that here on the boards, but no one ever booed him on the pitch. You know the difference? Benteke backed up his talk with great performances on the pitch. Football fans will forgive a lot if the player performs well; Bacuna did not.

Absolutely this. If we'd have been mid table last season with Bacuna turning in some top performances, I personally would not hold his ambition against him, and would wish him the best in his future endeavours with a CL team.

He turned in some terrible performances in a shit football team though. Talking of a move to a CL club just smacks of a misguided sense of his own ability, and disrespect to the club and to the fans. He could have kept his ambitions to himself. He could have apologised to the fans for not performing to his personal standards.

He didn't though. He said he'd be leaving in a couple of years and would like it to be to a CL club. Granted, it may not be all his fault what with spin etc, but in the absence of him having a spokesperson to front up to the media, the vitriole is very much directed towards him. 

He'll get a move somewhere, and we'll move on. If I were him though, I'd sack whoever was in charge of his media relations.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Yes, I took another angle into the whole issue, where his extraordinary (in my opinion) treatment by fans was a distraction in itself.

Defend him then, as a player. On the pitch his attitude was disgraceful, he deserves every little bit of stick that has come his way. 

If it were up to me he'd be the first out the door. The only player I've ever consciously booed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Defend him then, as a player. On the pitch his attitude was disgraceful, he deserves every little bit of stick that has come his way. 

If it were up to me he'd be the first out the door. The only player I've ever consciously booed. 

He was crap last year, but quite useful the year before. I hope people would get off his back if he stays, but they won't.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

I hate this 'not allowed' line its BS frankly.

The reason there is very little defending of Bacuna is because there doesn't appear to be very many people think he deserves defending. 

But people are free to defend him if they wish, nobody is stopping them but when you hold a minority position it goes without saying the majority of people aren't going to agree with you.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

He was crap last year, but quite useful the year before. I hope people would get off his back if he stays, but they won't.

He was worse than crap. I can accept crap. He was an utter disgrace, to himself and the shirt. 

And yeah, he's not good enough to get away with it or recover from it. 

• Like 3

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I hate this 'not allowed' line its BS frankly.

The reason there is very little defending of Bacuna is because there doesn't appear to be very many people think he deserves defending. 

But people are free to defend him if they wish, nobody is stopping them but when you hold a minority position it goes without saying the majority of people aren't going to agree with you.

It is yes, I meant more as a feeling here towards him. It's almost hostile, and I wonder why I don't feel the same way.

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He was worse than crap. I can accept crap. He was an utter disgrace, to himself and the shirt. 

And yeah, he's not good enough to get away with it or recover from it. 

But why would you not "forgive" him? I don't get it. It's something else than his poor performances.

4 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

It is yes, I meant more as a feeling here towards him. It's almost hostile, and I wonder why I don't feel the same way.

There is hostility towards him from some because he appeared to not give a damn about the plight of the club or the suffering of the fans last season.

I don't feel particularly hostile towards him but I think he and players like him at the club are the reason we are where we are, because they don't care.

I don't speak for anyone other than myself and I can't explain why you don't feel the same but personally, collectively, I've had enough of Bacuna and players like him.

8 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

But why would you not "forgive" him? I don't get it. It's something else than his poor performances.

Yep. Partly the way he laughed and joked his way through it without a care in the world whilst supporters poured their hearts out in the stands, crying out to see some passion, some fight, organising protests and generally giving far, far more of a shit than a man who is actually paid to do so. The lack of effort he put in during those moments was palpable and it left a sour taste. Also the way, like a couple of our players I might add, he was seen gallivanting around town or in the airport whizzing around on a hoverboard hours after yet another soul crushing defeat. That's before I even begin to describe how angry it made me to hear a player, one of the worst of them, talking about his next big move while we're in the middle of suffering the ignominy of the worst season in our history. 

So yeah, more than poor performances. Much more. Too much.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1