Luke Wilkinson (Dagenham & Redbridge)

villanwesty88

theres a reason why some footballers are plying their trade so far down the leagues...

Yes, they don't have well known agents to ring up clubs and flog them.

It takes a little bit of effort to scout talented players and it is encouraging to see we appear to have a good network in place.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Bit of a bizarre story. Starts off by saying a "number" of Premier League clubs are monitoring him but can only name 2, Villa and Norwich (agreed, 2 is a "number" but so is 1 and 0*).

We have little else to go on here so it won't be troubling me in my sleeping hours.

(* Hope this won't start an abstruse mathematical debate)

Edited by briny_ear

i dont get the dislike towards huth on here

he might be 28 yrs old, but hes a solid experienced centre back, which is what we so desperately need to show some leadership at the back, since we were first linked with him at the age of 24 at chelsea hes been a top class defender, the transfer fee might be a little high as would his wage, but it would be worth it to reduce the amount of goals we leak

You might wanna re post this Mid December  - Maybe not Huth in particular, but another senior pro at the back is needed IMO

Only thing that I can connect too this is that Lambert was also in for dwight gayle, a former dag & red player before this season. Might suggest that he has followed them for some time, if both of these rumors were true.

my mate is a massive daggers fan but rates medy Elito highest, I'll ask him about Wilkinson when I see him.

I had a friend last year who was a massive Crewe fan and I remember saying to him that it must be frustrating loosing a great young player in Powell, then Westwood leaving and he used to say "as long as we keep hold of murphy"

• Like 1

"Clubs had monitored Ash for a long period of time. Villa came in, we thought Villa was a bit of a surprise. But then we found out that they had a thirty game dossier on him so they've done their homework; they knew what they were getting. But nobody else did, so fair play to them; they came in late with all their money and what a fantastic opportunity for him."

Crewe manager Steve Davis on Westwood's transfer to Villa.

It's quotes like these that have made me have full faith the Lambert and the Villa scouts to find the right talent. We might not know much about these players but the club don't just go in blind and try and sign players randomly. They'll scout them for months sometimes a year+ and fair play hopefully we'll reap the rewards on another gem.

Someone mentioned Bowery earlier about being a decent squad player. I agree but remember he's the youngest out of the bunch signed so he might take a another season or two but I'm sure he'll come good as well (he showed a fair bit of hit potential against Stoke I felt.)

I saw an interview with one of the Norwich player's talking about when they got promoted to the prem. He said it was daunting, none of us had any experience, but paul sat us down and said look, you are all good enough to play in this league. The premier league, all the fuss, all the hype it's all rubbish generated by the media, it's just football. He said this gave us the confidence to go out and play, and after a few games we realised that we could compete.

I'm loving Lambert's policy of finding younger players, creating our own stars. It goes back to the old saying, if you're good enough, you're old enough. Bring it on.

I think Lambert has shown he can pick them from the lower leagues. If he wants him here, I want him here.

Surely instead of always buying lower league players all the time we need to be looking at our u19s

I think Lambert has shown he can pick them from the lower leagues. If he wants him here, I want him here.

Surely instead of always buying lower league players all the time we need to be looking at our u19s

He's at the training ground 7 days a week, I'm sure he knows all about them, they just might not be ready. Also lower leagues doesn't mean U19

These players from the lower leagues are arriving with a good amount of game time for their age. Our younger players should get out on loan in the lower leagues

yes I'm sure lambert is keeping an eye on them (rolling eye emoticon)

the line has to be drawn somewhere though?

theres a reason why some footballers are plying their trade so far down the leagues...

And let's remember we were in a relegation battle last season not a race for Europe. We need experience in the team not more bloody untried kids.

These players from the lower leagues are arriving with a good amount of game time for their age. Our younger players should get out on loan in the lower leagues

Think this is the big difference, and crucial difference. We've signed battle hardened young players with first team games under there belts. Compare them to the likes of delfouneso who, imo has all the talent and skill to be a top player. But if he's got used to earning decent money turning up at plush bodymoor heath every day and scoring a few for the reserves he's not going to have the same motivation as a Jordan bowery, who's got his chance the hard way. I'd put money on bowery getting further in his football career than delf. So, back on topic, this guy wilkinson....definitely worth a shout!

• Like 1

And let's remember we were in a relegation battle last season not a race for Europe. We need experience in the team not more bloody untried kids.

We were in a relegation battle the season before that with a team full of experience, let's remember that hey.

• Like 2

Think this is the big difference, and crucial difference. We've signed battle hardened young players with first team games under there belts. Compare them to the likes of delfouneso who, imo has all the talent and skill to be a top player. But if he's got used to earning decent money turning up at plush bodymoor heath every day and scoring a few for the reserves he's not going to have the same motivation as a Jordan bowery, who's got his chance the hard way. I'd put money on bowery getting further in his football career than delf. So, back on topic, this guy wilkinson....definitely worth a shout!

This first team experience at any level is massive in a young players development. It is were a lot of our younger players have struggled, none of them have had that experience of playing every week in a competitive environment before being thrown in the Premier League.

Like who? I seriously want to know the premier league player who is A) good enough, B] won't cost arm and a half and C) is motivated to give their 100% week-in week-out. IMO most of the premier league players who would come to play for us are already poisoned chalices who would want high wages so we need to look from europe and lower divisions.

Would you really rather get experienced player who would cost 10 million and take 50-60k/week salary who we know wouldn't have the same hunger as players abroad or lower divisions and would be just very average than potentially very exciting and very hungry player who would cost 5-6 million max and take half the salary what experienced would want who could be as good as Westwood, Sylla or Lowton?

Edit: Balanced mixture of truly professional older heads and young players would be obviously most optimal situation but those players who are professional enough would cost 10-15 million. Someone like 3-4 years younger Scott Parker would be great...and not so injury prone.

Edited by Jarpie
  • Like 2

What we need to remember is that Westwood, Lowton, Benteke etc are not untested kids anymore. So if we buy lower league 'youngsters' again, we will be mixing experience with a lack of [it].

If this was a low-cost move then I really don't see an issue. It's quite refreshing to see this sort of transfer activity. You think back to the late 90's and before when we picked up players like Mark Delaney and Gareth Barry from lower league teams like Cardiff and Brighton & Hove Albion. If they work it is fantastic if not it is relatively low risk from a financial perspective. 

• Like 1

the objection isnt buying a couple of talented youngsters from the lower leagues, the objection is buyings TOO many youngsters, not all are talented or have ability the succeed at the highest level

Â