Gardening

Stevo985

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I really liked the idea of keeping this place up to date with my allotment endeavours, and showing you guys my progress from greenhorn greenthumb to gardening genius.

However, in about 3 weeks, I've realised I'm really, really bloody lazy, and it's too much like hard work on my days off. And if I can't be arsed to do it now, I'm definitely not going to in the winter. So I've given it back. 

Got to share the shame if I was going to share the pride. :blush:

I envy you. 

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I really liked the idea of keeping this place up to date with my allotment endeavours, and showing you guys my progress from greenhorn greenthumb to gardening genius.

However, in about 3 weeks, I've realised I'm really, really bloody lazy, and it's too much like hard work on my days off. And if I can't be arsed to do it now, I'm definitely not going to in the winter. So I've given it back. 

Got to share the shame if I was going to share the pride. :blush:

Tbh, MrsVM was on about signing up for one down here but the thing I like most about the tubs outside my flat is the fact that I dont have to go anywhere much or dedicate hours of my time to it.

So boring update on the edible tub garden over the weekend. Got all my lettuce's that I'd potted in all the little tubs I could find and chucked them all in this big 20G bag I got. So basically 3 big tubs of lettuce on the go and the two big tubs of Rocket. Noticed a stray potato growing in one of the lettuce tubs I'm guessing it came from the compost heap :) Still have a window box and 4 tubs of other lettuce left but it's a bit more organised out there now!

Taters that I was growing in old compost bags are going nuts, leaves everywhere.

We've eaten some Chard already and the rest is growing good.

My herbs are all doing great and we've eaten some of all of them now.

Courgettes are growing fast - leaves have gone a bit silvery in places if anyone knows what that is?

The Rocket I planted under some tomatos hasn't done great. The lettuce I put under another tomato has done brilliant. The basil I planted in with some cherry tomatos is doing amazingly well.

There's a weird plant growing in the Chard tub that I left because it looks a bit like pepper leaves (I didn't plant any peppers?) It's starting to flower now so we'll see what happens.

All good and haven't bought any leaves/lettuce or herbs all summer and we've had something from the garden every day for the last few weeks

The tomatos seem fine but back to the point where I haven't got a clue what I'm doing tbh. Plenty of flowers and our garden has plenty of bees so we'll see what happens. Should I be pruning them etc? Lots of info on the interweb, most of it conflicting. I'm doing the leave it and see route. Wigwams have held up in the wind though and the first 4 I planted (the biggest ones) are about 5ft high now (how big do they get exactly?!?) Found and old tomato grow bag thing so I chucked that under the window with a vouple of tomato plants and some basil in. Got 10 tomato plants on the go all together. And a cherry one.

I made an error with my Kale, though nothing too bad, just need to space them out a bit. Looked online and realise now how big the plants grow. Bit like tomatoes they need a bit of space. So I have a lot.

Cucumbers looking a bit weedy but I started them well late and I'll give them a bit more space this week when a few more bags arrive.

Given up on seeding the spinach idea. I need the tubs and the space. Will plant some more when it cools down a bit though.

The shallots and the Garlic I planted in the spring has been great. The shallot tops have been nice in salads. Going to leave them in till late August/Sept is/was the plan. The Garlic has 'fallen over' in that it's growing diagonally and a couple of leaves are yellowing. Does this mean I should dig it out?

The rejuvenated cherry tomato seedlings are going to get re potted next weekend.

Err I think that's it, the Broccoli not worth talking about yet. Winter squash haven't surfaced. Everything else is dead :D

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Courgettes are growing fast - leaves have gone a bit silvery in places if anyone knows what that is?

Is it like dust on the surface of the leaves? Courgettes (and other things) are susceptible to getting powdery mildew.

If it's that then just get rid of the leaves that have got it on and you should be okay. There might not be a good enough flow of air around the plants, so you could address that.

The tomatos seem fine but back to the point where I haven't got a clue what I'm doing tbh. Plenty of flowers and our garden has plenty of bees so we'll see what happens. Should I be pruning them etc? Lots of info on the interweb, most of it conflicting. I'm doing the leave it and see route.

It depends upon the tomato varieties. Cordon plants - you should pinch out the side shoots as they develop; bush varieties - you can generally leave those, though some do better if you pinch out the side shoots.

Once fruits start to show and develop then feed them weekly and start removing the lower leaves especially if it helps to expose the developing fruits to the sun to ripen.

The Garlic has 'fallen over' in that it's growing diagonally and a couple of leaves are yellowing. Does this mean I should dig it out?

When did you put it in?

I lifted my garlic a couple of week ago but I planted them in Oct/Nov. I'd wait until most of the top stuff is turning brown before lifting them. When you've decided to do it stop watering them for a few days, lift with a fork (i.e. from underneath - don't pull), leave the straggly roots attached to the bottom of the bulb, shake off the excess soil and leave them to dry for a few days outside especially if the weather stays dry. Once they've dried a little you can lop the tops off and tidy up the roots - be careful not to damage where they join the bulb, though, as that makes them less likely to store well.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I don't have a garden as such - just 6 paving slabs at the back door. As I literally kill every plant I have, I'm quite proud that I got these sunflowers to stay alive this long (although I know how easy it is to grow sunflowers so I know it's a slightly hollow victory on my part):

OJIYAd0.jpg

One of the 4 that made it into the pot got snapped after a week but still managed to flower, albeit at a slightly lower level than the others:

g95qvwC.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Is it like dust on the surface of the leaves? Courgettes (and other things) are susceptible to getting powdery mildew. 

If it's that then just get rid of the leaves that have got it on and you should be okay. There might not be a good enough flow of air around the plants, so you could address that.

Not sure it is, obviously something weird though - I'll chop the leaves off. Shame as they're the most impressive thing out there (thanks for the tip - you're basically the reason they are out there :thumb: ) But plants look healthy. Silver looking around a lot of the leaf veins basically. I'll definitely space them out a bit see if that does anything. Easy when they're growing in a moveable thing with handles on!

It depends upon the tomato varieties. Cordon plants - you should pinch out the side shoots as they develop; bush varieties - you can generally leave those, though some do better if you pinch out the side shoots.

Once fruits start to show and develop then feed them weekly and start removing the lower leaves especially if it helps to expose the developing fruits to the sun to ripen.

Cordon then - moneymakers. Cant remember the cherry variety. Only got one of them anyways. I'll get out the secateurs tonight though.

When did you put it in?

I lifted my garlic a couple of week ago but I planted them in Oct/Nov. I'd wait until most of the top stuff is turning brown before lifting them. When you've decided to do it stop watering them for a few days, lift with a fork (i.e. from underneath - don't pull), leave the straggly roots attached to the bottom of the bulb, shake off the excess soil and leave them to dry for a few days outside especially if the weather stays dry. Once they've dried a little you can lop the tops off and tidy up the roots - be careful not to damage where they join the bulb, though, as that makes them less likely to store well.

Either end of April/Start of May so only around 90 days max. was reading somewhere that spring planted garlic could be harvested around 120 days. Maybe it's the dry weather but just seemed a bit earlier than I was expecting is all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Not sure it is, obviously something weird though - I'll chop the leaves off. Shame as they're the most impressive thing out there (thanks for the tip - you're basically the reason they are out there :thumb: ) But plants look healthy. Silver looking around a lot of the leaf veins basically. I'll definitely space them out a bit see if that does anything. Easy when they're growing in a moveable thing with handles on!

No probs. If it isn't powdery mildew then you probably don't need to remove the leaves (or move them around). Is it just like that on the oldest/biggest leaves? If so, a quick google has suggested it may just be a matural sign of a mature leaf. If the rest of the leaf and plant are looking healthy and it isn't a powder/dust like substance then I;d leave them and just keep an eye on it.

• Like 1

Got a load of manure yesterday so got all my bags that I had earmarked for stuff full now. Still got lots of Kale to thin out to somewhere still. Cucumbers finally have a proper home though. And the mustard leaves and the weird stalky lettuce stuff. First time I've had a bit of room to play with for a while.

Resurgent tomatos grown from a cherry tomato finally got re-potted. Courgettes lost a few leaves. Tomato suckers got attacked. All good so far.

Bees seem to have done their thing with all the tomato flowers. Lots of fruit appearing :) The potatos on the other side of the garden have flowered which I've never seen before. Purple and yellow flowers.

Hacked away at the coriander this week so putting it on everything atm. The Dill too though we've eat all that. Still loads of Basil, Lettuce and Rocket on hand while I wait for them to grow back. Just been out in between showers with a pair of scissors to chop some chard down for tea later. 2 portions of veg in 1 and lots of colours. Off outside now the rain has stopped to chop some kale to join it in my steamer in a bit now. Happy days.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2018 at 17:59, snowychap said:

No probs. If it isn't powdery mildew then you probably don't need to remove the leaves (or move them around). Is it just like that on the oldest/biggest leaves? If so, a quick google has suggested it may just be a matural sign of a mature leaf. If the rest of the leaf and plant are looking healthy and it isn't a powder/dust like substance then I;d leave them and just keep an eye on it.

Did them anyway and plenty more are up in their place.

I would recommend courgettes to anyone doing what I'm doing and fumbling around out there. Grow nice and quick. Makes you feel like you're doing something right!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

Did them anyway and plenty more are up in their place.

I would recommend courgettes to anyone doing what I'm doing and fumbling around out there. Grow nice and quick. Makes you feel like you're doing something right!

Bloody hell, are we overloaded with courgettes. Been growing a yellow variety, and we've got enough to sink a battleship. Fasting growing things I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just realised today that the yellowy orange tomatoes are not struggling to turn red, they're yellowy orange tomatoes.

They're bloody gorgeous.

I am mostly jealous at this point but the pleasure in realising every flower on 'that vine' on my own in the garden that seems a bit ahead of the rest, has turned into a little tomato from a flower, I am like a kid at Xmas just waiting for them to grow tbh.

Suppose I should think about some netting to keep the birds off now is it?

Every day more flowers become little green tomatos. Bees are mint.

Split a load of Kale up tonight and replanted it, been putting it off a few weeks. Still got a load to do tomorrow but got through most of it. Using the empty compost bags from the shed as tubs as I've used everything now! looking a bit like a Kale forest outside the back door. Courgettes are flowering. Dug my spring planted shallots and garlic up. Garlic is very small but I still grew some garlic by the look of it. We'll see when I get round to unwrapping them I suppose! Shallots look like they are shallots! So they are all drying.

Rocket and Lettuce with tea again tonight. And Basil (Which has gone nuts in an I've got loads of Basil type of way!).

Really glad I did all this.

• Like 1

So on my Tomatos today there are so many fruit on the heaviest vine that it's looking like it could do with some sort of sling so it doesn't snap the whole thing off. Or a strop or two just to help with the weight.

Is this a thing Tomato bods?

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

So on my Tomatos today there are so many fruit on the heaviest vine that it's looking like it could do with some sort of sling so it doesn't snap the whole thing off. Or a strop or two just to help with the weight.

Is this a thing Tomato bods?

Twisty ties on to a support structure behind, like a cane, bamboo or the greenhouse. That'll do it.

Just demolished a giant vegetable chilli. Tomato base was our own toms, onions were ours, sweetcorn was ours, chillis were ours. Just need to work out how to grow rice n chips now.

• Like 1

Â