Gardening

Stevo985

11 minutes ago, zak said:

Ok not sure this was worth a new thread, but i have 2 issues with my garden:

1. Stray Cats

2. Fox

im not sure which is doing what but both are in my garden from time to time. I dont even have grass, i have artificial turf. But there is alot if shitting going on in my garden and digging. I even found a shoe in my flower bed.

What is the best way of getting rid of both? I actually think its mostly the cats, although it is unlike cats to just shit on the artificial grass. 

I have tried using cat repellent granules but that has not worked. I think they live in the garden next to mine and if they wanted to go anywhere they would have to go through my garden.

Anyone got a way i can stop them coming into my garden? 

Lion shit. 

(Not a joke, by the way, apparently it actually works). 

1 minute ago, zak said:

1. Stray Cats

2. Fox

im not sure which is doing what but both are in my garden from time to time. I dont even have grass, i have artificial turf. But there is alot if shitting going on in my garden and digging. I even found a shoe in my flower bed.

What is the best way of getting rid of both? I actually think its mostly the cats, although it is unlike cats to just shit on the artificial grass. 

I have tried using cat repellent granules but that has not worked. I think they live in the garden next to mine and if they wanted to go anywhere they would have to go through my garden.

Most cats don't like (particularly fresh) citrus peel - slugs do though (especially grapefruit).

If they are digging in (and presumably soiling) your beds or an area of soil like that that you dont want to cover (like with rocks or something) then stick a load of old chopsticks/ice lolly sticks/wooden kebab sticks/or just some sticks upright in the ground. No one's going to **** where there's a spike in a scary position. After a while they should have moved on and found another 'patch' somewhere.

Artificial turf is a weird one though. If you cant/dont want to pierce the matting try putting something in their way - they might just move on somewhere that's easier for them.

Never had to deal with a fox.

We sometmes get foxes passing through our garden on their rounds. I quite like to see them - they never seem to cause any problems. We no longer have cats, but next door have three, who also stroll through our garden. Again, no problem. 

The foxes stopped shitting in my garden after I started peeing in my garden.

The more carnivorous your diet, the more effective the deterrent.

The little feckers stole one of my trainers the girlfriend had put out the back door, then forgot about.

35 minutes ago, Xann said:

The foxes stopped shitting in my garden after I started peeing in my garden.The more carnivorous your diet, the more effective the deterrent.

The little feckers stole one of my trainers the girlfriend had put out the back door, then forgot about.

59 minutes ago, zak said:

I even found a shoe in my flower bed.

Hmmmm. :detect:

To celebrate the fact that this snow is going, I've just ordered myself a couple of magnolia plants via a code from the MSE weekly money saving email (details here):

If you go via this Van Meuwen* MSE Blagged link - the code TM_VAF1 should automatically be applied at the basket stage - you can get one magnolia bare root plant for £8.94 delivered (£4.99 plus £3.95 delivery). 

It’s normally £34 all-in and the next cheapest we could find is £12 delivered from Van Meuwen via Groupon - the next cheapest after that is £24.98 delivered from Gardening Express. It's one order per person and the offer ends at 11.59pm on Sun 4 Mar, or when all 10,000 bundles have been sold, whichever comes first.

t-z-MAGN-62569-C1.jpg

Apparently, the flowers when separated can be pickled and eaten.

Edited by snowychap
Spelling.

On 2/27/2018 at 14:08, zak said:

1. Stray Cats

2. Fox

Borrow a large dog for a few nights and let it out when you see the cats/fox in the garden. Repeat twice and they won't ever come back.

To echo other sentiments on here - peeing in my garden seems to have helped too. We also put a pile of sand outside the fence of our neighbour that owns what seems like 20 cats so now they're fouling right by their seating area as opposed to in our veg bed. In my experience you'd be surprised how little cat owners seem to care about their pets peeing on people's doors, *****ing in people's front gardens and eating local wildlife though, so don't expect a forthcoming response if you were to take it up with them.

Edited by magnkarl

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, bickster said:

My lawn currently looks like the pitch at Eden Gardens on the fifth day of a test match

Full of Indians? :detect:

Edited by Xela

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Nice garden @Rob182. Weeks like this make me hate living in an apartment. 

Would love a garden (but would employ a gardener!)

You can come and use mine if you cut it for me, I’ll even throw in a bacon & egg sarnie. I love my garden but absolutely hate doing the first mow of the year but it really needs doing now. It looks like Jurassic Park out there and I’ve been putting it off but the weather is giving me no excuse.

Edited by Ingram85

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

You can come and use mine if you cut it for me, I’ll even throw in a bacon & egg sarnie. I love my garden but absolutely hate doing the first mow of the year but it really needs doing now. It looks like Jurassic Park out there and I’ve been putting it off but the weather is giving me no excuse.

You sound just like me. I gave in to the jungle two weeks ago

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Having moved house last month, my garden has quadrupled in size. I need to put some grass seed down because it’s a bit patchy in places, but other than that, it’s just a case of keeping weeds at bay (and keeping an eye on the size of the trees, as all of the big ones seem to sit within my fences!)

242bpg6.jpg

Beautiful. I'm so jealous. 

I would love a garden :(

• Thanks 1

Â