Gardening

Stevo985

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Uuurgh. How can you bear to touch them?

Ha ha ha -

1.They're very low on the hazardous fauna list.

2. They don't hang about on turds, filth or similar.

3. We wouldn't have anything green left in the back garden if they went unchecked.

4. I'm not at the level of girl's blouseness where it would bother me :)

Though I do get a bit blousey with slugs. They're summarily executed.

3 hours ago, Xann said:

Ha ha ha -

1.They're very low on the hazardous fauna list.

2. They don't hang about on turds, filth or similar.

3. We wouldn't have anything green left in the back garden if they went unchecked.

4. I'm not at the level of girl's blouseness where it would bother me :)

Though I do get a bit blousey with slugs. They're summarily executed.

Slugs, snails. Don't see how a shell makes them any less repulsive. 

But yeah, they're my blind spot of girl's blousiness. I can handle as many spiders as you like, but molluscs are a real no-no. 

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Slugs, snails. Don't see how a shell makes them any less repulsive.

You don't have to dig your nails in to a wet squish to separate them from the surface they've adhered to.

Whether it's a leaf or your hand :P

• Like 1

Now, self assessment is a wonderful thing. But I think we might have just made the best ice cream I've ever tasted.

Picked a container full of blackberries up the allotment, sieved them down to get the seeds out and mixed up some cream and sugar. Freeze n stir, freeze n stir and the results are just stunning. Really smooth, really creamy and a fantastic blackberry smack! Not too sweet, really fruity.

Top marks to me. Well chuffed.

Also picked a bed of onions and declared war on the mint.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's knowing what to do with them.

We've tried keeping them previous years but it hasn't really worked, garage too damp, modern house too warm. So we've spent an evening making apple cakes and apple tarts and apple crumbles for the freezer and inviting anyone that was interested to come and take a dozen off us.

We'll leave the rest on the trees for now, but they were all beginning to drop and it was such a waste.

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It's knowing what to do with them.

We've tried keeping them previous years but it hasn't really worked, garage too damp, modern house too warm. So we've spent an evening making apple cakes and apple tarts and apple crumbles for the freezer and inviting anyone that was interested to come and take a dozen off us.

We'll leave the rest on the trees for now, but they were all beginning to drop and it was such a waste.

Yep, same here. We made cider last year, don't think I can be arsed to do it again. 

On 8/4/2016 at 16:22, Xann said:

3AX47oq.jpg

The enemy.

I borrow some runner ducks from my farmer friend every month who clean those buggers up like it was Christmas dinner. He also lends me 2-3 chickens at the end of the year that go around and eat their eggs for a few days. It's hands down the best way to get rid.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

37284841695_5fdc891ec7.jpg

Fig tree pruned back for another year. Grows to about 2.5 meters between April and September, then gets chopped right back to a meter or so stump, then goes again the next year. 

Needed another month of heat for the actual figs to be edible, only ever achieved growing an outdoor edible fig once or twice.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok not sure this was worth a new thread, but i have 2 issues with my garden:

1. Stray Cats

2. Fox

im not sure which is doing what but both are in my garden from time to time. I dont even have grass, i have artificial turf. But there is alot if shitting going on in my garden and digging. I even found a shoe in my flower bed.

What is the best way of getting rid of both? I actually think its mostly the cats, although it is unlike cats to just shit on the artificial grass. 

I have tried using cat repellent granules but that has not worked. I think they live in the garden next to mine and if they wanted to go anywhere they would have to go through my garden.

Anyone got a way i can stop them coming into my garden? 

Â