Football Fan 101 - which type are you?

b23avfc

Social networks makes being a fan a whole different animal these days and it's got me to thinking how many different types of fan there are.

Of course you got your every match for life attending fan, which to me is pretty amazing, showing a level of devotion that many wouldn't or couldn't go to. I respect most footy fans of this type though. As long as it isn't to the detriment of other responsibilities of course. That's a whole different level of devotion.

Then you've got your "get to a match, as and when possible", soaking the atmosphere and banter and actually knowing the Craic on Matchday and not looking like a tourist

There's the once in a lifetime fan who genuinely can only get to a match once in a lifetime or thereabouts

Also the tourist fan, those that go visiting certain teams, high or low, for whatever reason

Ones that can be fans of the entire game, or those who only ever regularly watch one team, plus one international and couldn't care less about anybody else.

Then there's those that only watch online, or on sky or whatever. Or only watch motd.

Then those that barely watch a game yet are happy to wear the shirt and label themselves fans of certain teams.

Those that constantly talk about it online, or about all the big games. Or down the pub as part of their weekly meet with the lads or their dads

Those that inherited clubs, or chose the winners at the time, or randomly chose a club, or chose the nearest. Or for whatever other reason

You could be a mix of any of the above. Or some other kind of fan.

Personally I chose the local team. Get down as and when I can. Only watch the villa and Ireland. Nobody else. Couldn't care less about a so called big game of neither of those teams are in it. I appreciate what other teams have or have done, or individual players from other teams and also sometimes watch stuff (on 101goals for example) of behind the scenes stuff and overseas goals. So I don't totally ignore every team except villa and Ireland.

What kind of fan are you?

Also

What do you think disqualifies someone from being a fan? Is that even possible? While the most idiotic, glory seeking, bandwagon fan in the world could still be classed as a fan. Unfortunately. Like this guy on twitter, if he is real?

“@PLEKSTER: MY TEARS ARE FILLING WITH CRY , WORST SEASON I HAVE EVER SEEN AS A CITY FAN, CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE SHEIKH”

I guess you could call me a fan that watches every match I can on TV, and try to read up as much as I can on what is going on. I am gonna go to villa park next season and I do feel embarrassed that I haven`t gone before.

What I do feel proud of is that aston villa has been my team since I was 6 years old. It just stuck with me for some reason, and it has always been that. Naturally not growing up over there so all the kids will cheer for Manu or liverpool. Arsenal and Chelsea are not to far behind. I guess it comes from my brother who has been an Everton fan since the 80s. I always liked english football and despise a lot of other leagues like the spanish one who gets way too much credit. There is something special about the english leagues, even if the popularity has become rather massive with each year. I do support my local team and I go to some games from time to time. But honestly it`s not that interesting. Before there was more local people and so on, but now it`s just a poor mans version of premier league. There is like two local people at the team(if you look away from the reserve team), so the charm is gone. Not to mention that they play some truly god awful football. It`s just so boring to watch,so it`s hard to have a great interest in it.

But one thing needs to be said, I do not look upon myself like a "true" supporter if you want to call it that. I am neither from birmingham, and I don`t live over there. So, I am not the best fan but I try as good as I can. Either way, I still love this club and I always will. There is never going to be a time where I might consider "changing" because we might go down.  :flag:

• Like 2

I'm one who has previously realised he'd have saved money having a season ticket, got to the point where I'd buddied up to get 3 ST's together, and then the job changed and now I get to 2 or 3 games a year.

But I also try and follow a bit of local league footy for a laugh* with a few mates of long standing that use it purely to catch up and chat, often not even watching the game.

I've also gone to / been taken to a couple of other random games recently, Spurs left me cold, Man Utd left me cold, Gillingham was great fun and I've found myself looking out for their resuts since.

* local league here of course leading to european qualification, which in the past has meant trips to Portugal, Malta and Scotland etc. on a bus full of similar idiots. Now that, is an experience, a football trip on a bus to Portugal, 40 or 50 mates on a couple of buses travelling across europe to watch their team play Boavista the one year, and Porto the next. Utter meltdown madness.

• Like 1

ST holder for many years. I only watch Villa, and whoever they are playing.

Don't give a shit about other football or other teams. Will watch the World Cup every 4 years but that's about it.

Villa or (almost) nothing

• Like 3

Don't give a shit about other football or other teams. Will watch the World Cup every 4 years but that's about it.

Like my Dad that is. :)

Go to about 4 games a season, watch on telly/net/motd, get the shirts, post on here and twitter. Couldn't give a **** about any 'I'm a better fan' dickhead argument. I support villa, that's all that matters really.

When I lived in Birmingham I was a season ticket holder and went to a couple of away games. Now with work and living in London I go to on average about 10-13 games a season. I don't usually go if the games on TV unless there is a big game... Like Sunderland, which I had to book a day off for.

Last year however I went to 4 games, the worst total for 20 years as my first season ticket was 92/93 (I know what a treat), and I have to admit its been hard getting back into the habit, but watching games like QPR and Sunderland have helped and I hope to get the 8 games this year back up to my average.

I got into the Villa through my father's side of the family, and being the local team to where I grew up it made perfect sense. Since I moved back to Brum 7 years ago I've been to more and games, before that when I was at Uni in Manchester I only used to go to about 2 or 3 games a season.

As I live in the Smethwick area I probably go to about 10-15 home matches a season. My running commitments kind of take priority though as a lot of my races are held on saturdays during the winter. I tend to go to most midweek games when I can. Unfortunately I havent been to an away match for years!

I only really care about Villa and couldnt give a rats arse about England, who are a London football club to me in all honesty. I go to a few Peterborough matches with one of my old uni mates every now and again, but it doesnt feel anywhere near as exciting or involving as going to see Villa.

I got into the Villa through my father's side of the family, and being the local team to where I grew up it made perfect sense. Since I moved back to Brum 7 years ago I've been to more and games, before that when I was at Uni in Manchester I only used to go to about 2 or 3 games a season.

As I live in the Smethwick area I probably go to about 10-15 home matches a season. My running commitments kind of take priority though as a lot of my races are held on saturdays during the winter. I tend to go to most midweek games when I can. Unfortunately I havent been to an away match for years!

I only really care about Villa and couldnt give a rats arse about England, who are a London football club to me in all honesty. I go to a few Peterborough matches with one of my old uni mates every now and again, but it doesnt feel anywhere near as exciting or involving as going to see Villa.

Have you seen Dwight Gayle in action then?

I love football. Will watch most televised games if I can, and go to Villa Park when I have funds and someone to go with. Usually I go 4-5 times a season. This year I've only been twice - which I suppose makes me a slight glory supporter in that I have been put off by our form and performances. I don't earn much, so I find it hard to motivate myself to spend the money to be miserable, when I know it's going to happen. 

I still see going to Villa Park as a day out; a rare treat for myself. 

I'm a huge armchair fan though. I'll watch Premiership televised games whenever I can. I'll watch Soccer Saturday most weekends, if I am out and about when there's games on I'll have BBC iFooty loaded on my phone and continuously checking my pocket. Other leagues I'll keep an eye out for important games, but my interest does tend to fall off away from the Premiership, and most games are looked at how it influences Villa - even if it's pretty second hard - such as "if Man Utd only draw this game then they'll be more pumped up next weekend to get a result against our relegation rivals"

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

Season ticket holder and go to as many away games as I can get away with (finance wise and without getting dumped) lol.

This season I've been to 8 away games including Wigan next week.

When I was at uni in Leeds I went to the home games during uni holidays - around 5-6 a season, then went to a lot of the away games in the north - around 7-8 games a season, which worked really well.

As long as I'm living in or near Bham I think I'd always have a ST. If I moved away I probly wouldn't get one but would still make the big games at VP and try and get tickets to a good number of the away games every year.

I am a disillusioned football fan and am trying to wean myself off premier league football full stop. I hate prima donnas and they are the ones ruining the game. I know its been going on for some years but its reached a tipping point for me. So I havent seen a single ball being kicked since January. Not on sky, not at VP not MOTD. Its been fantastic. I support Villa, but certainly nothing like you boys do. If the unthinkable does happen next weekend, I will shed a tear.

Same here. Couldn't give a toss about anyone else. I dont even bother with MOTD unless we win, and then turn over as soon as we have been on.

Former season ticket holder, now get to about 4 games a season. In my teens I was obsessed with football and I pretty much spent all of my time watching/playing/talking about it. I have since lost a bit of interest in the sport generally, but my passion for Villa has never waned. My dad still follows Oldham Athletic rigorously even though he has hasn't lived anywhere near Oldham in over 40 years. Football inspires a sense of loyalty and tribalism which can't really be found elsewhere.

Edited by vivahate

Same here. Couldn't give a toss about anyone else. I dont even bother with MOTD unless we win, and then turn over as soon as we have been on.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Season Ticket holder this season, but probably not renewing next season. I would say for the last 4-5 seasons I would be  going to villa at least 10-15 times a season. No other sport moves me like football. Its mad and frustrating, but when you get the occasional night like Sunderland, its magic.  I do watch other games and watch a local lower league  team as well. I think fans do come and go to their team due to the  ebb and flow of life. I treat them all the same- its like a huge revolving cast of people. Some come and go. Other stay for longer. But they  all care deeply about the Villa.

Â