Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

there hasnt been much talk of who people would like to see in this thread like past transfer threads

That's because I change my mind every day as I do further research and try to second-guess what direction Lambert might go in.

Right now I'd "like" to see:

LB: Fabrice N'Sakala (Troyes)

CB: Bruno Ecuele (Lorient)

CM: Marco van Ginkel (Vitesse)

W: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqfmakUcQNQ(Bastia)

ST: Cenk Tosun (Gaziantepspor)

But as I say, this list could change tomorrow!

there hasnt been much talk of who people would like to see in this thread like past transfer threads

That's because I change my mind every day as I do further research and try to second-guess what direction Lambert might go in.

I bow to your superior knowledge Wes and i'm sure they are all great players but I can see the bulk of our signings being from the lower leagues in England. Young, hungry and ambitious. I think we may look at 1 or 2 continental signings but not all of them.

I bow to your superior knowledge Wes and i'm sure they are all great players but I can see the bulk of our signings being from the lower leagues in England. Young, hungry and ambitious. I think we may look at 1 or 2 continental signings but not all of them.

I think it could be the opposite tbh. We'll get a couple from the lower leagues I'm sure, but there's much better value, coupled with experience and potential, to be had abroad - and Lambert knows what he's doing in that regard

Oh I absolutely agree in terms of what will actually happen, those were just who I would like.

I would like us to sign Will Hughes but don't see it happening. Luke Murphy seems nailed on and makes a lot of sense. We could even be back in for Cresswell with a year off his contract he should be a bit cheaper.

I just like to throw perhaps unfamiliar names around in here :)

Certainly someone like Dragovic and a better left back are needed for a start.

Like the sound of Luke Murphy from Crewe to partner his mate in midfield.

Of the 'senior' players i'd sell/release the following and replace with 'young, hungry players'

Given, Dunne, Hutton, Makoun, Ireland and Bent

Also would accept bids for Bannan, Herd and Delfouneso

List for Lambert:

Defensively:

Dawson, Lescott or talented boy from either reserves or Championship to step up.

Going forward:

Maloney might fancy a return, might not.

Hoilett looked superb at Blackburn

Tom Ince - in our dreams.

Grealish to step up no doubt - fabulous prospect.

I know I don't rate Clark as low as other people on VT do but if we were to get rid of Clark we're left with two centre backs. There's no chance he goes, particularly considering he is young and on relatively low wages.

Herd likewise is a versatile backup player. Every team has them. We shouldn't get rid of him.

Think Clark is getting a new contract.. 

Yep - I've heard this to. It wouldn't totally surprise if he first choice again at the start of next season. Clearly Lambert is seeing something I am not.

I know I don't rate Clark as low as other people on VT do but if we were to get rid of Clark we're left with two centre backs. There's no chance he goes, particularly considering he is young and on relatively low wages.

Herd likewise is a versatile backup player. Every team has them. We shouldn't get rid of him.

Flip side is - If he isn't good enough for team football - why pay him a wage ? - People who are squad players need to be good enough to make an impact at first team level. Packing the squad with sub standard players doesn't help anyone.

Flip side is - If he isn't good enough for team football - why pay him a wage ? - People who are squad players need to be good enough to make an impact at first team level. Packing the squad with sub standard players doesn't help anyone.

You're right of course. An ideal situation is that you have starter quality players to fill your starting 11 and bench but only a handful of clubs in the league have the resources to manage that and we're not one of them at this stage of our transition.

The goal of course is continual gradual improvement of the quality of the players throughout the club but this isn't going to happen instantaneously. Clubs fall down sharpish when they try to do this (ie. QPR).

I would rather keep Herd likely on a wage around £10k as he is someone we know can play anywhere across the back or base of midfield if we're completely pushed with regards injuries and suspensions instead of bringing in a new third choice right back, centre back and defensive midfielder to cater for those eventualities. Even if we promoted youth players to fufill these versatile roles they'll be asking for wages similiar to Herd.

That said, Herd is in the final year of his contract and may be looking for first team opportunities himself so selling him this year may be the best situation for both camps.

I'm just a fan of versatile players is all :)