Margaret Thatcher dies of a stroke.

Milfner

The government haven't; the BBC have...

But why let a little thing like facts get in the way of politically uninformed faux outrage.

Good to see the lefty BBC sticking to the Right Wing government. :)

• Like 1

Ah but the Official Monster Raving Loony Party [insert almost anything]

Hopefully twonk status achieved.

Although in fairness to them I thought it funny when they ran with "against Margaret Thatcher - a nasty experience, as Denis can testify"

Edited by Houlston

I think I might inform the BBC that I will be watching every program BBC3 currently farts out as a piss take to Thatcher. That way there might be an episode of Snuff Box or Monkey Dust on when I get get back from the pub.  :thumb:

Edited by flamingsombrero

The government haven't; the BBC have...

But why let a little thing like facts get in the way of politically uninformed faux outrage.

Good to see the lefty BBC sticking to the Right Wing government. :)

ahhh the old "lefty BBC", blimey they are all coming out today - good to see it again. Can't wait for the next contribution

As for the "song", then the BBC, anyone etc should play it as there is obviously a desire by those that have (legally) purchased it to hear (Edit: :-) oops spelling) it. It actually makes quite a serious statement both in terms of censorship and also how despite the best will of the "annoyed of Surrey" there are a significant amount of people who are quite keen to show their views re Thatcher and don't subscribe to the "we must honour this brave old woman" mullarky

Edited by drat01

Interesting those supporting this record as peaceful protest. What if he BNP supporters were to download and purchase a racist song as a peaceful protest, no doubt those supporting this continued spewing of bile would similarly support that effort at peaceful protest.

Are you really stupid enough to conflate something being aired that is intentionally offensive aimed at someone who is despised for her actions, by those who bought the song, and airing something that promotes racial hatred?

Apparently on Lasminute.com there is a cheap room at the Ritz due to an early cancellation - it made me chuckle, I wonder if they are selling her room

Richard is probably in there sniffing the bed sheets ;-)

• Like 2

Deary me Richard you really don't help yourself sometimes

why? Both are offensive

Being offended by something doesn't give anyone the right to ban it in a free society. I might complain about someone being racist or offensive and try and talk them round and change their opinion but banning things is not the way forward. 

If some people find Ding Dong the Witch is Dead offensive in current context I find myself being even more in favour of is being played. Don't like it? Don't listen and get on with your life.

The same is true of this whole thing. Some people liked the woman, others despise her, both have their merits dependant on personal circumstances. Ignore the side you disagree with and get on things, as there is nothing constructive to be achieved here so entrenched are views.

• Like 1

I remember very well the "outrage" that some of the VT'ers who shall we say are UKIP and Tory supporters had regarding things like Civil Liberties and Freedom of Speech etc. It now seems that these liberties and freedoms are a one way thing and only apply when a) they are in opposition (I appreciate UKIP will always be that but let's be honest them and the Tory party are pretty much the same thing) or B) when they don't want to hear from anyone having differing viewpoints to theirs, especially about some as iconic to them as the Thatcher woman.

I suppose the songs that were released at the height of the Thatcher reign should also be banned, damn you Specials etc never let your music be heard again

Deary me Richard you really don't help yourself sometimes

why? Both are offensive

Being offended by something doesn't give anyone the right to ban it in a free society. I might complain about someone being racist or offensive and try and talk them round and change their opinion but banning things is not the way forward. 

Well, it's already kind of banned, laws against inciting racial hatred.

I agree with your point though, it's ridiculous how many overgrown children think they have the right to not be offended.

I have just been to B&Q, the security blokes stopped a man leaving the shop with a 6x4 panel under his arm. They said to him "We believe you are stealing that" to which he replied "I take a fence at that" and left whistling some song from the Wizard of Oz

Â