The interesting stat thread

The_Rev

These are Villa related stats, but I couldn't figure out where else to put them:

• By my count, Villa are 4-2-3 this season when scoring the first goal, having lost on the last three occasions.
  • The 2013/14 signings (including loans) have played 6,152 minutes this season.  Bacuna and Luna account for 59% of those minutes.
  • Taking injuries into consideration, Villa's new signings are on pace to play 7,663 minutes this season, last years signings played 15,971
Edited by Houseoftomorrow
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Participation in the Europa League group stage, if anything (and contrary to popular opinion), does not appear to hurt a team's position in the PL.

Raw data

Previous Position   Participation   Teams/seasons   Finishes
4th                 Y               Tot (11-12)     5th

5th                 Y               Eve (08-09)     8th
                                    MnC (09-10)     3rd
                                    Tot (10-11)     4th
                                    New (11-12)     16th

6th                 N               AVl (08-09)     6th
                                    AVl (09-10)     9th
                                    Lvp (10-11)     8th

7th                 Y               Ful (08-09)     12th
                                    Lvp (09-10)     6th

7th                 N               Eve (10-11)     7th
                                    Eve (11-12)     6th
Summary

Participated in Europa League

Improved: 3

Declined: 4

Did not participate in Europa League

Improved: 1

Declined: 2

Potential EL teams is defined as clubs in top 7 who don't participate in CL group stage or qualifying. Non-participation means not making group stage whether due to elimination in qualifiers or cup results taking European positions from the league.

Edited by leviramsey

Participation in the Europa League group stage, if anything (and contrary to popular opinion), does not appear to hurt a team's position in the PL.

Raw data

Previous Position   Participation   Teams/seasons   Finishes
4th                 Y               Tot (11-12)     5th

5th                 Y               Eve (08-09)     8th
                                    MnC (09-10)     3rd
                                    Tot (10-11)     4th

6th                 N               AVl (08-09)     6th
                                    AVl (09-10)     9th
                                    Lvp (10-11)     8th

7th                 Y               Ful (08-09)     12th
                                    Lvp (09-10)     6th

7th                 N               Eve (10-11)     7th
                                    Eve (11-12)     6th
Summary

Participated in Europa League

Improved: 3

Declined: 3

Did not participate in Europa League

Improved: 1

Declined: 2

Potential EL teams is defined as clubs in top 7 who don't participate in CL group stage or qualifying. Non-participation means not making group stage whether due to elimination in qualifiers or cup results taking European positions from the league.

Not convincing in the slightest, sorry.

Would Aston Villa be more like Tottenham, Everton or Fulham or Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham?

I suggest that Manchester City and Liverpool were okay because they could afford a huge squad with depth. Everton and Fulham could not and dropped.

Also, where is Newcastle? Swansea? Their poor seasons in the PL followed Europa League participation.  Why? They don't have massive squads.

Edited by Con

Likewise you've got to go back to before the Premier League was founded to find an example of a club who hadn't qualified for Europe in the previous season winning the title.

Liverpool's 'advantage' can't have been that big or why hasn't it happened more often?

• Like 1

It's a small sample, but most clubs in the top 7 one year will finish in a lower position the next.

2008-09 (2 improve, 4 decline)

1st (Man Utd) -> 2nd (Decline)

2nd (Liverpool) -> 6th (Decline)

3rd (Chelsea) -> 1st (Improve)

4th (Arsenal) -> 3rd (Improve)

5th (Everton) -> 8th (Decline)

6th (Villa) -> 6th

7th (Fulham) -> 12th (Decline)

2009-10 (3 improve, 4 decline)

1st (Chelsea) -> 2nd (decline)

2nd (Man Utd) -> 1st (improve)

3rd (Arsenal) -> 4th (decline)

4th (Spurs) -> 5th (decline)

5th (Man City) -> 3rd (improve)

6th (Villa) -> 9th (decline)

7th (Liverpool) -> 6th (improve)

2010-11 (3 improve, 3 decline)

1st (Man Utd) -> 2nd (decline)

2nd (Chelsea) -> 6th (decline)

3rd (Man City) -> 1st (improve)

4th (Arsenal) -> 3rd (improve)

5th (Spurs) -> 4th (improve)

6th (Liverpool) -> 8th (decline)

7th (Everton) -> 7th

2011-12 (3 improve, 4 decline)

1st (Man City) -> 2nd (decline)

2nd (Man Utd) -> 1st (improve)

3rd (Arsenal) -> 4th (decline)

4th (Spurs) -> 5th (decline)

5th (Newcastle) -> 16th (decline)

6th (Chelsea) -> 3rd (improve)

7th (Everton) -> 6th (improve

So among top 7 teams in the period, 11 improved their position the next year vs. 15 declined.

The Championship is the 4th most watched league in Europe in terms of stadium attendance behind the big 3.  That really surprises me. I thought the Italian league would have a higher attendance average. I know the Italian league is not at it's peak like it was in the 1990s, but still......

Yeah I guess that is a factor. But you have 2 teams who play in the San Siro which is a 5 star UEFA rated stadium (hosts champions league finals) you have 2 teams which play in the Stadio Olympico which is also a 5 star UEFA rated stadium. And you have Juventus smart new ground which will host this years Europa League final. Plus Napolis's arena. That is 7 clubs or 1/3 of the league who play in very impressive stadiums. The Championship can't compete with that, to me it is still a surprise.

Average attendances so far

Inter: 44,382

Napoli: 42,112

Roma: 38,542

Juventus: 38,149

Milan: 37,985

Lazio: 32,610

Fiorentina: 31,414

Sampdoria: 22,301

Hellas Verona: 21,220

Bologna: 20,335

Genoa: 20,236

Torino: 16,624

Catania: 14,864

Udinese: 14,344 at one stadium/9,750 at another

Atalanta: 13,916

Sassuolo: 13,239

Parma: 12,765

Livorno: 10,872

Chievo: 8,549

Cagliari: 5,500 at one stadium/4,692 at another

Sassulo play their games 15 miles from their main stadium, which is too small. Udinese and Cagliari each played some home games in a stadium in Trieste (where Triestina (currently in Serie D)) due to renovations of their stadia. For Cagliari, this meant playing home games a 17 hour drive away from home!

Yeah I guess that is a factor. But you have 2 teams who play in the San Siro which is a 5 star UEFA rated stadium (hosts champions league finals) you have 2 teams which play in the Stadio Olympico which is also a 5 star UEFA rated stadium. And you have Juventus smart new ground which will host this years Europa League final. Plus Napolis's arena. That is 7 clubs or 1/3 of the league who play in very impressive stadiums. The Championship can't compete with that, to me it is still a surprise.

5 star just means it ticks boxes, most of them are still shit.

I get the impression things are just different on the continent. I went to a Villa game with someone from a different country, he was shocked that there were so many women and children in the stadium. Ticket prices may be shit here, but on the whole it's very much a family thing rather than just blokes.

Aren't they in poor states of repair?

A mate of mine went to the Stadio Delle Alpi once and said it was an utter shithole. It was only built in 1990 and I think that may have been a five star stadium.

I don't think it was, but I may be wrong. Just had a look at the list of 5 star UEFA stadiums. All the ones you'd expect apart from Ibrox and Vicente Calderon.  Surprised to see those 2 there.

San Siro and Stadio Olimpico are not shit stadiums.

I've not been to either myself. But I know a bunch of Milan fans who've been and they say it's a complete shit hole. It's just big and ticks boxes, but apparently the state of the place is appalling. 

It's the case with a lot of place in Italy supposedly, which is one reason a lot of clubs apply for new stadiums. It's no shocker Juve's attendances dwarf what they were at the Delle Alpi, because it was shite.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â