weekends footnall - 16/17 march - sponsored by andy keenan

Jimzk5

It's comments like that which make me embarrassed to be a Villa fan associated with people who believe them just because we happen to support the same club. :bang:

The thing that annoys me about the refereeing mistakes today (well generally) is that the solution is elegantly simple. 

Have a video official with a monitor at the ground in a quiet place. Automatically review all goals and review anything else as directed by the referee. So simple, so many other sports do similar. 

And have 40,000 people stare at a big screen for thirty seconds to see what the video referee thinks so much as every time that  both teams appeal for a throw in?*  **** that. 

Don't say it won't happen, because it will. Bringing in video refereeing for goals is the thin end of the wedge.  What happens if both teams appeal for a throw in, it goes the wrong way and somebody scores? We can't have that happen because we have video technology.  The TV companies will love it because they will be able to sell advertising space around it (video referee sponsored by Specsavers!) but it will take something from the game that we will never get back. It will happen of course, but it's just another nail in the coffin of a sport which is being strangled to death by money.

And have 40,000 people stare at a big screen for thirty seconds to see what the video referee thinks so much as every time that  both teams appeal for a throw in?*  **** that. 

Don't say it won't happen, because it will. Bringing in video refereeing for goals is the thin end of the wedge.  What happens if both teams appeal for a throw in, it goes the wrong way and somebody scores? We can't have that happen because we have video technology.  The TV companies will love it because they will be able to sell advertising space around it (video referee sponsored by Specsavers!) but it will take something from the game that we will never get back. It will happen of course, but it's just another nail in the coffin of a sport which is being strangled to death by money.

I don't know what you're on about. That happens in rugby does it? 

In Rugby League the referee gives a try if he's confident it was. If he wants the video referee to check something specific that's what he asks him to do. There's a question about how far the video official referee's review would go back but it's not exactly hard to create a set of rules to tighten up a review system i.e. what exactly can be reviewed and reversed and what can't. 

I find that most people that are against video technology just love the controversy of incorrect decisions. Personally I don't. 

was a horrible tackle and should have been a red card but I dont think he intentionally went in to break him up. He was remorseful and think tried to apologize when Haidara was on the stretcher

Needs a review system. Let teams challenge like you can in Cricket, Tennis, Rugby. It might slow the game down about 3-4 times a game, and if the refs get the odd one wrong fair enough, but there have been tons and tons of faults.

Football needs one more than any other sport, due to the relegation system. Each manager is allowed one challenge per game, sorted.

Sorted? How would that have helped Newcastle yesterday? The manager blows his appeal on the horror tackle, he can't appeal the hand ball before Wigan's winning goal.

It's all relative isn't it?

We WERE in their position, more or less, not so long ago. And there were a lot of fans on this forum slagging off players then.

I dont think we were in their position. We were never as close to the promised land as they were or never got 4th like they did last season. with 8 games left we were not favourites for the champs league like they are now

spurs fans are the most ungrateful fans in the prem

our 08/09 squad was no where no near as good as their current one

I said "more or less"

We were more or less in their position. Close to the top 4 and last 16 in Europe. And people moaned and moaned.

And I don't think one round further in the Europa and a few more points at this stage in the league would have suddenly cheered those posters up.

Football fans are ungrateful.

I bet there's a load of miserable bastards over on BarcelonaTalk.com moaning about why they aren't winning the league by more points.

Edited by Stevo985

Sorted? How would that have helped Newcastle yesterday? The manager blows his appeal on the horror tackle, he can't appeal the hand ball before Wigan's winning goal.

That's why it must be used judiciously and strategically. 

I actually agree with the challenges thing. I think you'd have to have more than 1 per game, and there'd need to be some sort of punishment for an incorrect one (like in NFL you lose a timeout) so that managers can't use it to stop an attack or something.

IF technology was to be used (and that's a big "if") then that's the only way it could work, imo.

A challenge system seems pretty simple to me. It doesn't need to be anything more than that. Every other sport has it so why not football?

It's just painfully obvious really.

Edited by PieFacE

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has defended Callum

McManaman following the forward's controversial tackle on Newcastle

left-back Massadio Haidara.

Haidara was stretchered off with a

knee injury during Sunday's Premier League game at the DW Stadium after

being caught by a high challenge from McManaman, who escaped punishment

from referee Mark Halsey.

But Whelan, whose own playing career was ended by a serious injury, insists there was no malice intended by McManaman.

Whelan told BBC Radio 5 live: "The ball was there. Young McManaman

went in for the ball and got the ball as clean as a whistle, but in the

follow through they collided.

"The ball was there. Young McManaman went in for the ball and got

the ball as clean as a whistle, but in the follow through they

collided."

"The referee saw it all, he had a clear view on that. He hasn't gone over the ball. That's an accident.

"There is not one ounce of malice in Callum McManaman. He is an

enthusiastic young boy. He has got great prospects. He was very upset by

it all."

Enthusiasm

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez also insisted after the game that there had been no intent from McManaman to harm Haidara.

Remember it's Callum's full debut in the Premier League. I haven't

seen the replay, I believe he touches the ball and then it's a bad

challenge, but it's nothing malicious, he's not that sort of boy,"

Martinez told Sky Sports.

"It's the normal enthusiasm that you get in your debut."

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew was outraged by the challenge and felt referee Mark Halsey should have sent off McManaman.

"It is an awful challenge. The pictures speak for themselves," said

Pardew. "I thought it was a bad challenge and I was 60 yards from the

incident.

"The players knew because they were on top of it and there was a lot

of bad feeling about that incident when it goes unpunished. He (Halsey)

said 'If I've missed it I apologise' - that was at half-time."

Former Premier League referee Alan Wiley , meanwhile, has offered his support to Halsey over the incident.

"When the ball goes out towards the touchline, Mark will probably

think McManaman has played the ball because he cannot see the challenge

as it is," Wiley said.

"It is a one in a thousand situation where at the opportune moment, a

player runs across his path and unfortunately, that (the foul) gets

missed."

Whelan doesn't even understand the rules properly

Â