Man Utd v Real Madrid Champions League 2nd Leg

andykeenan

PSG - Valencia should be tasty, especially with no Zlatan and Valencia needing to go for it.

At least we can enjoy the rest of the tournament without ITV fawning over British clubs.

Also, no English team in the CL Quarter-Finals. Best league in the world?

I think a PSG exit and then be easier to watch. as will be Beckswatch

I think the clear difference in the 2 images above is 'intent'. That final between Spain and Holland was one of the dirtiest games I've ever seen at that level. The kick was intended to hurt/injure. Nani clearly was trying to control the ball and didn't consider he might catch the opponent.

Getting away from the right or wrong call discussion. That picture highlights one thing. The difficulty of being a referee. I mean, he has to make a fast decision and we still debate whether he was right or not. And I think we're about 50-50. He has to take the decision there and then, without any replays and all that. And if he makes the wrong decision fans will start to boo him. And in some situations he will get abuse whatever he does. Who the hell wants to be a referee? Must be the most unappreciated job in the business.

Last night the ref had about 3 minutes before he brandished the red card. I agree he only had the benefit of seeing it once but he had time to mull it over, gauge the response from both sets of players, the effect it would have on the match etc before deciding Nani's punishment.

99.9% of people watching that match expected it to be a yellow card or less.

Are you sure? I can't speak for anyone else, and I didn't watch the game, just saw the incident right after the game. I watched it, thought it over and in a few seconds I thought it was the right decision. But tbh, I don't know what I would've thought if I'd been there and watched the game or watched it on TV. But today I can't see the debate. The rules are there. Studs up, flying in, intention or not. So we're back at it. Anyway, saying 99% thought it was wrong at the time is most likely wrong. I think 99% thought it was wrong when Beckham got sent off against Argentina in '98, this time I don't think it was that many.

Totally disagree Pelle.

You can't go into a challange with studs up, granted but if you don't know you are going into a challange then you haven't gone in with studs up. I honestly don't think Nani knew he was there, had he done so he wouldn't have gone for the ball the way he did, no way. The ref had plenty of time to make a decision and could have consulted his assistant but chose not to do so.

He got it wrong and I don't think a single person watching it, including Real fans would have expected a red card.

Imagine the ball is in the air and a player goes for a bicycle kick totally unaware a player is behind him and he catches him in the chest or head. Are you telling me that he has gone in with a high foot and therefore he should be sent off? I don't think so.

How aboput keepers who come out to claim a cross and catch players with their legs or boots when in the air, should they be sent off as well?

It was a terrible decision, one of the worst I've seen in a while.

I've no symapthy for United mind as they've had plenty go their way over the years including against us at Wembley a couple of years back. Them is the breaks, that is football but no way was it the right decision or even an excusable one in my view.

From the referee's position, I can see why he didn't give a penalty when Danny Murphy was brought down.

"The ball moved to the angle as Michael Carrick challenged him. From that position, it wasn't clear.

"It was a good claim but City could have had a penalty against them at Stoke for a foul by Gareth Barry. Every club gets breaks here and there, you get good ones and bad ones. It evens itself out over the season, that will never change

wonder who made them quotes 2 weeks ago :D

• Like 1

Had one of the plastic manure fans at work in near tears today. Took a proper hissy fit, lost it, and started ranting at me about Villa getting relegated, and going out of business. My job here is done. B)  

• Like 4

Haha, love trolling Manure fans, such sore losers.

They aint "fans" though. Just glory hunting plastic pubes. Hate these Sky Sports created sheep more than small heathens. In fact, i just tell them that i dont talk about Footy with them, because there opinion is worthless. Then they go into a fit like a spoilt child.....its very amusing.

• Like 1

True story here, apparently a ManUre fan From Notts (already you get the picture) rang 999 last night to complain about the refs sending off . Ha wtf ! You couldnt make it up.

He was let off without a caution as he later apologised.

True story here, apparently a ManUre fan From Notts (already you get the picture) rang 999 last night to complain about the refs sending off . Ha wtf ! You couldnt make it up.

He was let off without a caution as he later apologised.

Yep I can confirm that to be true. Brilliant.

Â