Does anyone else play 4 forwards?

VillanousOne

Is it driving anyone else nuts the fact we offer our defence so little protection - and concede some many set pieces because we play such a dumb formation?

Does any other team play 4 strikers? Ok Nzogbia may not be an out and out striker but he certainly is an attacker. Playing fwds as midfielders is no excuse.

Weimann may have scored but he lost the ball in some really stupid areas, neither him Zog or Gabby can track back effectively, all we did vs Arsenal was break at pace lose the ball really easily at the last moment and then watch as our defence was routed.

For god's sake we signed Sylla why aren't we playing him?

It's quite possible Sylla isn't fit yet - I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he's not match fit for premier league level. It's a big step up from the French Ligue 2 to the intensity of the premier league.

I agree about Weimann. I can't believe he got voted MOTM by Villatalk yesterday. He spent a lot of the match running around fruitlessly and his mistake in defence was crucial to the winning goal.

Yeah, N`Zog had a pretty bad match yesterday, but to be fair benteke didn`t really put himself out there either. Still, he fumbled way to much. 

There was one obvious one where he held on the ball because they were offside but everything else was on him.

Was Weimann that bad yesterday? Maybe I didn`t pay much attention to him after all. 

As for sylla, it is probable that he is not fit yet. I was surprised as well because I thought he would be starting this match. He was a player that we needed so I find that quite weird. Specially when he is on the bench also, maybe he was supposed to be a sub in the second half but lambert`s plan changed as the game went along? Don`t know.

People here are saying he has impressed on training so we will see, if that is true then he should get a try real soon. Might as well put him in the city game because I don`t see how we are going to take points from that one. 

@villanousOne.

We signed Bent,Ireland,Bannan,Warnock,Hutton and Given and we are not playing them either.Apparently Dawkins,Bowery and Marshall are much better players, otherwise they would not be in the team would they.

Either that or our manager is a fruit-loop

If the question is "does anyone else play 4 attackers (as N'Zogbia is an attacking midfielder, not a forward or striker)?"

Then the answer is most certainly yes. In fact i'd say more teams do than don't.

(I'm not saying that's what WE should be doing)

When we play a 3-5-2, that formation is crap and is why we're so weak defensively. Now, when we switch to a more traditional formation of 4-2-3-1 that is also a crap formation which is why we're so weak defensively. Just because Weimann isn't very good defensively doesn't mean there's something wrong with the formation. Gabby on the opposite side did a decent job, which helped out Bennett against Walcott for example.

well judging by the way Lowton bombs fwd at the moment and the better defensive performance of Bennett maybe we should go with:

Guzan

Vlaar - Baker - Clark

Lowton - Delph - Westwood - Bennett

Zog - Gabby

Benteke

Lord knows if that would work, but I def think we need one less attacking player - I would bring on Weimann and go three up top if Zog is having a poor game. I would prefer to just play Sylla (if fit) or Kea instead of Weimann though.

@villanousOne.

We signed Bent,Ireland,Bannan,Warnock,Hutton and Given and we are not playing them either.Apparently Dawkins,Bowery and Marshall are much better players, otherwise they would not be in the team would they.

We didn't sign Bannan. Warnock is under contract at Leeds so I think they might have something to say if we were playing him. Hutton is out on loan. Marshall was on the bench instead of Given because Given was injured, not because he is "much better". Please think before you post, or would that stop you from being able to criticise the manager at every possible opportunity?

@villanousOne.

We didn't sign Bannan. Warnock is under contract at Leeds so I think they might have something to say if we were playing him. Hutton is out on loan. Marshall was on the bench instead of Given because Given was injured, not because he is "much better". Please think before you post, or would that stop you from being able to criticise the manager at every possible opportunity?

You are splittinh hairs there.Yes, ok we didnt sign Bannan but these players kept us in a better position last season and we did not conceed as many goals last season,so.

Maybe Bannan should be in the team and maybe Hutton and Warnock should be in the team as well, along with Dunn and Collins and Cuella.  

Other clubs sell players, get more players in and strengthen their team,Lambert's policy seems to be sell players and bring in worse players and weaken the team, and guess what ?.............so far he is doing very well at that.

Does any other team play 4 strikers

If by "striker" you mean attacking player, then yes, most teams do it every now and then, particularly the big teams.

Madrid does it, Barca do it sometimes, Utd did it against Madrid, Arsenal sometimes, Germany etc.

Well, he's perhaps not quite good enough to be described as "good".

5 league goals out of 19 appearances. Out of a tally of 26 goals in total. He's a flickering light in a dark place.

He's also scored 5 in cup competitions but we're out of those now.  :(

Is it driving anyone else nuts the fact we offer our defence so little protection - and concede some many set pieces because we play such a dumb formation?

Does any other team play 4 strikers? Ok Nzogbia may not be an out and out striker but he certainly is an attacker. Playing fwds as midfielders is no excuse.

Weimann may have scored but he lost the ball in some really stupid areas, neither him Zog or Gabby can track back effectively, all we did vs Arsenal was break at pace lose the ball really easily at the last moment and then watch as our defence was routed.

For god's sake we signed Sylla why aren't we playing him?

Why are people seeming really stupid this evening? I was going to leave it at that...no I will, actually.  

• Like 1

Praised mambo what is you find so disagreeable about my post? Yes I agree dropping Weimann seems silly as he scores goals, but I just don't think the formation/way we play offers our defence the protection it needs, there is no obvious answer but there has to be one.

Praised mambo what is you find so disagreeable about my post? Yes I agree dropping Weimann seems silly as he scores goals, but I just don't think the formation/way we play offers our defence the protection it needs, there is no obvious answer but there has to be one.

We need Benteke to give our defence protection from corners ^_^

Â