The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

A Christmas gift for you all: my masterpiece, over an hour of generative Eurorack synth sounds.

Blimey, hardware synths? Pics of your studio, please! 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Hahaha. Studio? Just a collection of haphazard eurorack stuff that I've built up over a number of years and failed to achieve anything with at all. Super fun though! I love just plugging cables where they aren't meant to go and seeing what happens.

23 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Hahaha. Studio? Just a collection of haphazard eurorack stuff that I've built up over a number of years and failed to achieve anything with at all. Super fun though! I love just plugging cables where they aren't meant to go and seeing what happens.

That's as much of a studio as my spare bedroom! 

studio.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Ok, here is my "studio" which consists of two shelves (plus the shelf with the speakers). I kept buying the odd module here and there and over the years built up this collection, with which I have discovered I have no discernable talent unless you're into avant-garde noise scapes (and even then I'm stretching the definition of "talent").

IMG_20231227_114602_(904_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.225521c750c3053290cfeb202cb9d13f.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Ok, here is my "studio" which consists of two shelves (plus the shelf with the speakers). I kept buying the odd module here and there and over the years built up this collection, with which I have discovered I have no discernable talent unless you're into avant-garde noise scapes (and even then I'm stretching the definition of "talent").

IMG_20231227_114602_(904_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.225521c750c3053290cfeb202cb9d13f.jpg

I wouldn't know where to begin with that lot - very BBC Radiophonic Workshop - but I bet it's a lot of fun to play with! 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just stumbled across something I did during the pandemic. Remember all that 'clap for the NHS' stuff? That was followed by a half-assed campaign trying to get people to play 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' on their doorsteps (typically the anodyne Eva Cassidy version). It set me to thinking about Jimi Hendrix's live improvs of 'The Star Spangled Banner' and 'God Save the Queen' - and I wondered how he would have done it. So I opened the front door, cranked up the Orange amp and treated the neighbourhood to this live, one-take, seat-of-the-pants rendition. I'm not sure they appreciated it, tbh.  :)

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I sold my Martin Backpacker the other day, didn't get as much as I wanted for it but I was struggling to get anyone interested in it.

The kid that came also offered to buy my Squire bass and Epi Les Paul while he was here.

I have been really toying with the idea of getting a Gretsch G5422TG but that would mean selling my Les Paul, I've had it for about 23 years I think, I know that if I sold it then I would miss it and now I'm operating a one in out policy.

image.png.50a9c381bb2629cafab19ed64a23c51e.png

I think I'm just going to have to admire the Gretsh from afar unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I sold my Martin Backpacker the other day, didn't get as much as I wanted for it but I was struggling to get anyone interested in it.

The kid that came also offered to buy my Squire bass and Epi Les Paul while he was here.

I have been really toying with the idea of getting a Gretsch G5422TG but that would mean selling my Les Paul, I've had it for about 23 years I think, I know that if I sold it then I would miss it and now I'm operating a one in out policy.

image.png.50a9c381bb2629cafab19ed64a23c51e.png

I think I'm just going to have to admire the Gretsh from afar unfortunately.

I have the G2622 Streamliner (couldn't afford an Electromatic). Hardtail - can't get on with Bigsbys, tbh. 

It's nice, but I wouldn't swap a LP for it (if I had one). 

Screenshot_2024-01-06-13-55-26-65_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Did anyone see that Documentary about bassist Ron Carter on PBS ? Only really knew of him from playing with Miles Davis but realised he was something of a legend. Programme included pieces by:- Stanley Clarke (who I saw at B/ham Odeon with George Duke), Victor Wooten, Herbie Hancock, Lennie White and Pat Metheny. He played one of his favourite numbers which was 'My Funny Valentine' ; coincidentally Herbie Hancock opened with that (Colla Voce) again at the Odeon, before launching into his "Head Hunters" material. If you like that sort of jazz it's well worth a watch. Not much coverage of drummers though !!:(

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a mate who took up guitar during lockdown, and he's been popping round to do some recording in my little home studio. Unfortunately, his ambition exceeds his ability. Now that's normal for all of us, but hearing his efforts played back is disheartening him. I've suddenly become aware of the dilemma of being a record producer. To what extent do I attempt to get him to change his style to something simpler? He's playing acoustic blues, but trying rather intricate fingerpicking. And it's all over the place - fluffed notes, bad timing, etc. My instinct is to tell him to drop that and stick to basic strumming, but he seems hellbent on sticking with his chosen approach. If he's ever going to master it, it'll need a LOT more practice, and a weekly recording session in my studio is not the ideal venue for that. I've suggested he get a little 4 track portastudio for home practice (I think he needs to repeatedly face the painful playbacks while working on the errors). 

Anybody else had experience of recording other people? 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Anybody else had experience of recording other people? 

In your friend's case, consider a looping sampler.

A zillion years ago we had a Lexicon JamMan. Digitech do one now, I think? There's others, I'm sure.

They encourage good timing with feet and fingers.

They work as delays too, so it's win win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

In your friend's case, consider a looping sampler.

A zillion years ago we had a Lexicon JamMan. Digitech do one now, I think? There's others, I'm sure.

They encourage good timing with feet and fingers.

They work as delays too, so it's win win.

He's already got himself a little TASCAM portastudio, as I suggested. I've recommended working with a metronome/click track, on one phrase at a time, until he gets it into muscle memory. 

The mindset is subtly different between studio recording and recording to loop.

A loop encourages precision. If you cock up a pass? You have to start everything again. This is frustrating, but the reset is instantaneous, and reconstruction to get to the same point is quick and straightforward. Then you're getting the practice that makes perfect on the first attempt.

Also looping is continuously rolling, it's more go than stop. I think that refines the internal clock somewhat? Keeping good time becomes less of a conscious effort.

Â