The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

@mjmooney. I have listened again to your mate, the drummer and as ,i said before he is brilliant and well out of my league . But .....would he be able to back a cabaret act, some female singer, no dots , no run through. Probably with bleached blonde hair, hooped earrings (sufficient to have a budgie swinging in them), singing 'My Way', unsure of key and doesn't count the number in. Probably has all tattoos spelled correctly though.  I have !!!

Reluctantly selling my epiphone es-333 tom delonge signature guitar 

Cost of living without working due to having a brain tumour has caught up with me now, if anyone is interested let me know please

Mods please delete if not allowedp6b6zq6ii1x51.thumb.jpg.6522ea0512f8b73741600c0bd4a98ef8.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, veloman said:

@mjmooney. I have listened again to your mate, the drummer and as ,i said before he is brilliant and well out of my league . But .....would he be able to back a cabaret act, some female singer, no dots , no run through. Probably with bleached blonde hair, hooped earrings (sufficient to have a budgie swinging in them), singing 'My Way', unsure of key and doesn't count the number in. Probably has all tattoos spelled correctly though.  I have !!!

I stake any amount that he would. 

• 4 weeks later...

Do any of the guitarists have any tips for playing outdoors with no amplification? I've been asked to play at an event of around 100 people, an open space with no walls... and there's no power.

The two options as I see it are to get a very loud acoustic guitar, or to get some kind of battery amplication. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm worried it's just going to sound very flat / inaudible.

Absolutely no idea on that one Kent, just the thought of playing in front of a group of people terrifies me, I'm pretty good on the acoustic but I hate even going into guitar shops to play.

Weird thing is that I would happily play the piano in front of anyone, I used to often walk down to the bull ring just to play the old Yamaha baby grand that they had there.

I am fully aware that this post is of no help whatsoever to you.

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Do any of the guitarists have any tips for playing outdoors with no amplification? I've been asked to play at an event of around 100 people, an open space with no walls... and there's no power.

The two options as I see it are to get a very loud acoustic guitar, or to get some kind of battery amplication. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm worried it's just going to sound very flat / inaudible.

Play the drums instead. They are much louder. I know for a fact that crowds love it when you just play random drum solos for hours on end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Are you just playing instrumentally, or singing? Alone, or with others? How long a set? 

Most versatile option would be an electro-acoustic guitar with a battery powered amp, preferably with two channels so you can run a mic through it. There a several amps on the market aimed at buskers, the best reviewed of which seems to be the Roland Street Cube - but it's a bit pricey, especially if it's just for a one-off gig. But if you're going to do this more often, probably worth it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Are you just playing instrumentally, or singing? Alone, or with others? How long a set? 

Most versatile option would be an electro-acoustic guitar with a battery powered amp, preferably with two channels so you can run a mic through it. There a several amps on the market aimed at buskers, the best reviewed of which seems to be the Roland Street Cube - but it's a bit pricey, especially if it's just for a one-off gig. But if you're going to do this more often, probably worth it. 

Instrumental, alone, fingerstyle, so really worried about volume being an issue. Will take a look cheers!

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Do you have easy access to an Alpenhorn? 

Also, can you play the Alpenhorn?

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve been watching a few of these type of videos lately . The ASMR in me enjoys it, plus I find it interesting

Sorry Ruge, but that bloke doesn't know what he's talking about, if you want to see someone work on a guitar take a look at this absolute pro, there are so many luthiers out there who should watch this video just to pick up some tricks.

P.S. I would recommend that any guitarists do not actually watch this video, it was genuinely upsetting at times.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 20/06/2022 at 11:15, GarethRDR said:

Any Line 6 Helix users about?

Not yet, but I hope to be at some point (would ideally like the Neural DSP Quad Cortex but it's way too pricey).

I was only discussing this with someone the other day - I think I'm over the valve amp + big pedalboard thing. I was getting all my gear together the other day and I just can't be arsed lugging that much stuff around any more. Amp modelling has come on leaps and bounds the past few years to the point that the difference is pretty much negligible to most ears. I'm about ready to sell my amps and pedals, get a Helix and an FRFR cab and never need anything else ever again (he says....)

• Like 1

I'm slightly gutted I pulled the trigger on a mk1 Boss Katana when I did, if I'd waited literally a couple of months, the mk2's have an FRFR in. I'll make the trade up at some point.

I still don't fully have my head around everything the Helix can do, but I can quickly put together passable patches now (which for me really is just how many different delays I can smash together before the Helix combusts).  For everything else, there's a tonne of free user patches out there already, easily downloadable through the editor software.

I did painstakingly craft a Slint clean/dirty patch I was very pleased with.

Then remembered I can't actually play any of their songs.

• 2 weeks later...

My mate is looking to get this on Monday, end of stock clearance, it was about £650 and he'll be getting it for £350

Looks good I'm gunna go down with him to take a look at it, it'll be his first decent guitar, he's got my clapped out Tanglewood which is 25 years old and he's got a cheap Fender which was about £150, I'm actually excited for him, I'm looking forward to playing it myself.

Alvarez MDA70CWEARSHB

Alvarez MDA70CWEARSHB Dreadnought Electro-Acoustic Guitar

Edited by leemond2008
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â