The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

My mini kit. It is a 10" mahogany snare and a tiny 14" kick with some 10" hihats. I have since added a kickport onto the kick drum.

I call it the Henge Kit (after the famous scene in Spinal Tap)

9590363_orig.jpg

• Like 4

That's very interesting; is the bass drum a converted floor tom by any chance ? A friend of mine works for a carbon fibre company and he had a snare drum made out of carbon. Premier provided the fittings for it but it never took off commercially and I haven't seen any advertised by the big manufacturers (TAMA, Pearl etc). He therefore let me have the drum and I just can't get a decent sound out of it - always sounds 'choked'. I was hoping it would make me sound like Steve Gadd !!!

To answer your question Leemond....as no-one else did :).... Like most pop punk kids, I wanted to be Blink 182, so I learnt guitar and bass to learn their songs. Then after developing my musical influences, I just wanted to be in a band writing good music, so learnt a bit of piano, a bit of drums, did a musical practice course in college which taught me to sing better and harmonise and then spent the next 5-6 years playing in bands.

My band days are done now, but when I get the time, I'd really like to sit down and finally record the 20-30 (probably more) songs I have, before I forget how to play them and before my voice goes to shit from not singing regularly.

I've got some recording equipment, mics, sound interface stuff, but I don't know how to set it up properly, so I could do with getting in touch with one of my Music Tech buddies to give me a hand.

So my story Leemond is this:

I did the standard childhood stuff like recorder/piano/oboe but either through lack of ability or interest never got anywhere with them.

Then one day I was listening to the then-new live Genesis album The Way We Walk vol 2. I was astonished at the way the drums were used and started backtracking through their catalogue. The way Phil Collins used the drums in the seventies completely amazed me - so musical and complex and well considered. I was inspired enough to buy my first beginner's kit from the Birmingham Drum Centre and try to teach myself by playing along with various tunes, trying to work out how the difficult bits were done.

Later on at Uni I formed a covers band with several fellow astrophysicists (as improbable as that sounds). Twenty years later and we are still together, and still all best buddies.

From those beginnings I joined other bands, writing our own music, trying and failing to make a success of ourselves. One of those bands is now trying to get going as a covers band, we have started playing a few gigs locally.

The moral of the story? If you can, join a band. You will have some of the best times of your life and you will make friends that will stay with you forever

You won't make any money though!

• Like 1

I'm sure Brian May, Alex James and Brian Cox could use a drummer for their astrophysics supergroup.

Yeah, there are a surprising number of physicist rock musicians around. Dunno why... Probably some attempt to shake off the 'geek' image or something :-)

Played a gig last night. At the Streetly Sports Club. Think we were a bit loud for the venue and most of the regulars left, but at least all our guests stayed and had a good time. Hopefully we can build on this and get some more gigs in and around Sutton.

The Reddrum performed admirably (as did the little Henge snare that I used as my side drum).

Anybody else here perform regularly in the area?

836 is my highest, seems I am stuck around the 800 mark

just wondering how is everyone else counting it in their head? are you just going dum dum dum dum or 1 2 3 4? I'm going with the old 1 and 2 and 3 and 4

My average is in the 875-925 range. I'm a drummer, so I don't know whether that's a solid score or not. I know I still haven't mastered playing to a click. But I find that with any groove, thinking in terms of smaller increments (e.g. 8th or 16th notes when you're playing quarters) keeps your time a bit more consistent. So when I did that tapping exercise, my other hand was doing 16ths on the desk.

Â