Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

TrentVilla

Doesn't the fact a neighbour has already said in court that she heard screams and called security before the gunshots mean it's game over for Oscar already?

you mean the neighbour who was several hundred metres away and pretty much already discredited as lying  ..if the defence team cant rip her to shreds in seconds then they should be fired 

Hard to know how someone will react in a state of panic but I find it very hard to believe he woke up confused thinking there may be an intruder in his house and he didn't think to check his girlfriend was still lying next to him before he fired 4 shots through the bathroom door again without checking if his girlfriend was in there, surely that would be your first thought before firing.

Hard to know how someone will react in a state of panic but I find it very hard to believe he woke up confused thinking there may be an intruder in his house and he didn't think to check his girlfriend was still lying next to him before he fired 4 shots through the bathroom door again without checking if his girlfriend was in there, surely that would be your first thought before firing.

maybe he thought there was a Brazilian electrician in his bathroom  ?

• Like 1

how do you prove that though?

thats why im surprised the prosecutors have gone for murder rather than manslaughter, i think it's dodgy as **** but a shit hot lawyer will get him off that charge

in my mind theres pretty much no chance of proving that he knew what he was doing

thats why im surprised the prosecutors have gone for murder rather than manslaughter, i think it's dodgy as **** but a shit hot lawyer will get him off that charge

in my mind theres pretty much no chance of proving that he knew what he was doing

Yes exactly. He will literally get away with murder. 

You shouldn't be able to walk away from killing an intruder and certainly not when you find out the 'intruder' was your girlfriend. 

I watched a bit of it and I thougnt the prosecution trying to claim  the witness couldn't distinguish between a female and male scream was a bit weak and also that she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between gun shots being fired and a cricket bat bashing a door. It was a bit farcical as well with the defence lawyer asking the questions in English Ms Burger replying in Africaan and the intepretor translating to English and then Ms Burger correcting the translation. 

Doesn't the fact a neighbour has already said in court that she heard screams and called security before the gunshots mean it's game over for Oscar already?

you mean the neighbour who was several hundred metres away and pretty much already discredited as lying  ..if the defence team cant rip her to shreds in seconds then they should be fired 

177 metres, apparently.  At night, in a gated community, presumably not a place with lots of heavy traffic or other night-time noise.

I was on a quiet railway platform this afternoon and could hear someone speaking into his phone about 60 metres away, not shouting, just talking.  Sometimes at night people sit on a bench about 60 metres away from my bedroom window, and I hear them talking.  I'd say my hearing is reasonably good, nothing out of the ordinary.

I'd be very surprised if a loud scream couldn't be heard from some distance, at night, without much other noise going on.  Especially since screaming is a signal we're wired to respond to.

Yep I have sat on one side of Edgbaston cricket ground and heard someone shout from the opposite side so I would say its plausible that you could hear someone yell out in the middle of the night when theres no other noise around from a distance of 177 metres.

177 metres, apparently.  At night, in a gated community, presumably not a place with lots of heavy traffic or other night-time noise.

I was on a quiet railway platform this afternoon and could hear someone speaking into his phone about 60 metres away, not shouting, just talking.  Sometimes at night people sit on a bench about 60 metres away from my bedroom window, and I hear them talking.  I'd say my hearing is reasonably good, nothing out of the ordinary.

I'd be very surprised if a loud scream couldn't be heard from some distance, at night, without much other noise going on.  Especially since screaming is a signal we're wired to respond to.

at the initial hearing that witness was 600m away   ...  she seems to have moved some distance since Feb 2013

at the initial hearing that witness was 600m away   ...  she seems to have moved some distance since Feb 2013

wasn't it the defence that exaggerated the distance.

you mean the neighbour who was several hundred metres away and pretty much already discredited as lying ..if the defence team cant rip her to shreds in seconds then they should be fired

177 metres, apparently. At night, in a gated community, presumably not a place with lots of heavy traffic or other night-time noise.

I was on a quiet railway platform this afternoon and could hear someone speaking into his phone about 60 metres away, not shouting, just talking. Sometimes at night people sit on a bench about 60 metres away from my bedroom window, and I hear them talking. I'd say my hearing is reasonably good, nothing out of the ordinary.

I'd be very surprised if a loud scream couldn't be heard from some distance, at night, without much other noise going on. Especially since screaming is a signal we're wired to respond to.

at the initial hearing that witness was 600m away ... she seems to have moved some distance since Feb 2013

wasn't it the defence that exaggerated the distance.

Thought it was Botha , the now disgraced policeman ??

Yes exactly. He will literally get away with murder. 

You shouldn't be able to walk away from killing an intruder and certainly not when you find out the 'intruder' was your girlfriend. 

apart from if you live in country where its legal to kill an intruder, such as south africa....

Three distances are mentioned in the Guardian coverage today, picked up from a reporter tweeting from the courtroom.

Burger: We heard in the pre-trial about a witness who lives 600 metres from #Pistorius and realised how important our testimony is.

— David Smith (@SmithInAfrica) March 3, 2014

(Which seems to mean that the 600m refers to another witness, at which point this one came forward).

Court studying photo taken from Burger's bedroom balcony, 177 metres from #Pistorius's house.

#Pistorius says witness's house is 105 metres from his and it would not have been possible for witness to hear voices raised in argument.

But never mind all that. Has anyone asked if Alan Pardew can account for his movements that evening?

• Like 1

She was wearing Nike trainers when she was killed. Who gets up at 3am and laces up a pair of trainers, without turning on a light, to walk into their ensuite and go to the toilet?

Perhaps they hadn't gone to bed yet? No, sorry, that doesn't fit the defence case. My mistake.

• Like 1

Â