Weekend Football 9/10/11 Feb

VillaForever1970

Yes, best is subjective. Bale/Suarez/Buffon wouldn't make my World XI and are therefore not World Class, as there are players out there a class above them.

So if Pele, Maradona and George Best all played in the same era, only two of them could have been considered world class, simply because they couldn't all fit into the same team?

Hazard is definitely not better than Bale.

If, taking ability as the only factor (ie not including price, resale value, attitude etc), I could have one of those two in my team, I'd pick Hazard.

Yes, best is subjective. Bale/Suarez/Buffon wouldn't make my World XI and are therefore not World Class, as there are players out there a class above them.

So if Pele, Maradona and George Best all played in the same era, only two of them could have been considered world class, simply because they couldn't all fit into the same team?

I agree. Mid 90s you had Romario, Baggio, Stoitchkov, a young Ronaldo and Klinsmann. I think it is universally agreed they were all world class back then. But according to Careweyebrowdesigner, 3 of them would not be. There is no actual definition of world class, so technically you are not wrong, but surely you can see the flaws in your own definition.

I'm sure you could squeeze them into a 4-2-3-1 ;)

"world class" means no more or no less than any other adjective, like "amazing" or "excellent".

It's just a superlative. It's definition is subjective.

The problem is the over-use of 'World Class' to describe a player. If people call Bale 'World Class', what does that make Ronaldo/Messi/Iniesta? 'Solar System Class'?

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I'm sure you could squeeze them into a 4-2-3-1 ;)

Would you not squeeze Bale into a world XI currently?

I may be biased as I watch a lot more of the PL than any other league, but my attack would be:

LW: Bale

RW: Messi

CF: Ronaldo

I genuinely think it's only a matter of time before he goes to Barca or Madrid.

but they are British publications and a hint of biased, I think Rooney was no.11 in the 442 and Hart was 2nd best keeper which neither are.

Id be interested to see what foreign press think of Bale and where they rate him

I'm pretty sure his stock is still very high from the two performances against Internazionale in the Champions League.  Inter were defending champions and at the time people were still calling Maicon the best right back in the world. Bale absolutely tore him to pieces in both games and I dont think Maicon's reputation ever recovered.  Spurs desperately need to qualify for the Champions League this season to have a chance of keeping hold of Bale and even if they manage it I think they will still struggle to resist the offers that will be coming in for him.  I can see him ending up at one of of the Manchester clubs or at Real Madrid.  I think he would thrive in a team who are as much about pace and power as Real Madrid are.  

Who would he replace in the Madrid team? Or the Barcelona team?

I think he is best going to a team that will play to his strengths rather than have him contribute to a team playing to get the best out of Messi/Ronaldo.

I could see him go to Citeh if they make a huge offer and a certain Portugese man is at the helm.

I don't see him as a Barcelona player, does he really fit into that system?   At Madrid he would probably have to drop in behind the central striker, he wouldn't be out on the left because that is where Ronaldo tends to play but since when has an issue like where he is going to play in the team bothered Real Madrid?  Based on the evidence of the last 20+ years they clearly don't give a ****.  He would be awesome at Manchester United too. 

I would rather have Mata in our team than Bale, wouldn't say he was debatable at all.

Forgetting who is better and speaking purely in terms of who is more suited to your team, I think you'd be mad not to prefer Bale. For all Mata's quality, you are a struggling side at the moment, who aren't dominating the ball and not seeing a great deal of it in the final third.

I thin to suggest Mata would be better for you is over complicating things. You'd be far, far better off with a player who can do this out of nothing on a regular basis.

As great as Mata is, surely given your current predicament, wouldn't it be much better to have someone who can score the sort of goal Bale did on Saturday against Newcastle? He's lethal on the break and given your current issue's I think it would be far more useful to have a player who can charge from the half way line and finish.

Â