Weekend Football 9/10/11 Feb

VillaForever1970

It's more of a boxing phrase than a football one I think.  To me World Class means a player who is easily good enough to be at home at the very highest level, ie the business end of major international competitions.   

As for Bale, he is now world class, but he is not at Ronaldo or Messi level.

I would say he is one of the top 10 midfielders in the world currently though. Anyone agree?

If you take midfield as a whole (ie wingers, AMs DMs etc etc) then no. He's not in the top 10.

if you're talking about just wingers or AMs then probably.

For me, Bale is currently the second best player in the League. One of the 2 top leagues in Europe. He absolutely flourishes in his new central role, and indeed back on the left where it all started for him. I'd say he is very much world class.

World class just means a player is among the very best in the world. It's a somewhat subjective term, as there's no real cutoff point, but imo Bale is probably the second best winger in the world after Ronaldo. Top 20 midfielders too I'd guess. That's good enough for world class in my book.

I also think Bale is the 2nd best winger after Ronaldo.

I  just had a look at fourfourtwo magazines top 100 players, and the Guardians top 100 players. (December 2012 for both), they were positioned at 30th and 11th.

Bale is currently carrying that spurs team.

but they are British publications and a hint of biased, I think Rooney was no.11 in the 442 and Hart was 2nd best keeper which neither are.

Id be interested to see what foreign press think of Bale and where they rate him

20. Edinson Cavani
19. Xabi Alonso
18. Philipp Lahm
17. Karim Benzema
16. David Silva
15. Cesc Fabregas
14. Vincent Kompany
13. Zlatan Ibrahimovic
12. Iker Casillas
11. Gareth Bale
10. Wayne Rooney
9. Andrea Pirlo