Reporting transfer figures

Avflife

Just seen a tweet from Sun journalist Charlie Wyett claiming we have only spent 14m on transfer fees, not the 22m most of us have been lead to believe. He is currently being tormented on Twitter by the majority of Villa fans.

"One of the season's myths is Aston Villa spent £22m. Was actually £14m including Benteke £6.5m, Vlaar £2.5m, Westwood £900k and Lowton £900k."

Comical as he has half the figures wrong e.g Benteke 7.5m and Lowton 3.5m and hasn't even bothered to consider how much we spent on Bennett (4m) and KEA (2m)

"Getting quite a lot of stick from Aston Villa fans but standing by fact club has spent £14m and not £22m on players. Big difference."

Most of these figures are speculative anyway. Clubs rarely publish definitive figures and there are often hidden extras (e.g. the infamous Bent 50 match supplement) that might or might not be included.

However much we spent, it didn't really do the trick, did it?

What briny said really, unless the club came out and said this is what we spent in the summer then we can all speculate as much as we like. Only benteke has turned out to be a half decent signing so only 1/7 there mr lambert ;)

2 with Westwood  ;)

Westwoods been ok, nobody apart from benteke has been anything to shout about though imo.

I think Lowton was a good signing, but people rarely shout about a right back.

Vlaar too has been decent, but his time out injured and a few errors that have cost us points have taken away from his performances.

I thought Lowton was only £2m?

I don't know how these figures becomes so artificially inflated. It's like Chinese whispers. A prime example is '£6m for Jean Makoun' when Gerard Houllier said himself that it was "€5m", which at the time was £4.2m

Edited by Spoony

Â