World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

I don't either, they've lost their last two qualfiers aswell while quite a few others who have finished 2nd have achieved 4 points or the full 6 this weekend. Losing twice to Scotland should deduct them -500 points.

This would be a good play off draw...

Sweden v Iceland

Portugal v Ukraine

France v Croatia

Those 3 would be excellent match ups imo, think Iceland would have a shot at taking out Sweden, France Croatia (hopefully with a new coach) would be a brilliant two legged match and Ukraine would give Portugal some trouble.

Leave Greece Romania for the football insomniacs, even I would pass that one. Greece are horrible and Romania are pretty non-descript to me.

When's the play-off draw? I'll be supporting whoever faces Portugal.

Yeah I'd go with that.

I wanna see Ronaldo at the World Cup.

yeah and me, I wanna see him go missing in a big game again...

I wanna see Argentina vs Portugal

Ronaldo gets a hat-trick and Messi flops at the World Cup again.

The good thing about FIFA announcing world rankings would determine the seeds was that all the teams went all out until the final game. Teams like Switzerland, Netherlands and Germany could have taken it easy in their last few games but they knew they needed to win to guarantee being a seed. I am now hearing that 6 of the seeds are already decided. Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Germany, Netherlands and Italy. That leaves Belgium, Uruguay and a few others fighting for the other spot.

So despite winning, Uruguay now face a play-off with Jordan after finishing below Ecuador on GD. Jordan did beat Japan and Australia at home in their qualifying group but got stuffed by both of them away.

Wow that was some crazy stuff in CONCACAF tonight. Panama/Mexico teetered back and forth with regards to getting the final spot, and out of nowhere the USA scores two very late goals to knock Panama out and send their hated rivals, Mexico, to the playoffs. 

Edited by LockStockVilla

How lucky are Mexico?????!!!!!! They lose 2-1 to Costa Rica after a dismal campaign and yet scrape into the play offs as Panana conceded twice in injury time to US to turn 2-1 into 2-3.

Amusing people saying they have as good a team as England, yes good forwards but little else (had to recall Rafa Marquez to the team who's about 35). Rough on Panama considering they lost to an 85th minute wonder goal at the Azteca otherwise they'd have been in the driving seat.

I think Concacaf is pretty lucky to get a play off when already the top 3 get through personally.New Zealand are probably even weaker than what Concacaf produces so I'd back Mexico to get through over two legs, again they're lucky as in the previous campaign Costa Rica had to play off against Uruguay.

So despite winning, Uruguay now face a play-off with Jordan after finishing below Ecuador on GD. Jordan did beat Japan and Australia at home in their qualifying group but got stuffed by both of them away.

Uruguay will walk that...if it was the same as the last qualifying process it would've been a Uruguay Mexico play off

On the plus side I did win 250 quid as Bet 365 had odds of US winning at 250/1 just before injury time....

I'm not alone in thinking it's very generous that Concacaf gets three automatic places and then a play off from a 6 team group, imo there should just be a top 3 that go through.

And as we've seen in this campaign that doesn't always mean U.S and Mexico + 1.

Any Kiwi Villian's think they've got a chance of actually going through? I really don't see it but at least the second leg is in New Zealand.

I'd say that New Zealand have a chance if they play well at Azteca. The Mexican fans have a terrible habit of jumping on the teams back at home if they are underperforming and its gotten worse as of late...I feel like the Mexicans would almost favour playing both legs in NZ. 

Hope Greece don't qualify. They play some of the most dull, insipid football I've ever witnessed. I can't blame them since they manage to grind out results in qualification but they certainly won't add anything to the WC.

Yes it was bad for football when they won the euros

Hope Greece don't qualify. They play some of the most dull, insipid football I've ever witnessed. I can't blame them since they manage to grind out results in qualification but they certainly won't add anything to the WC.

Yes it was bad for football when they won the euros

I was actually quite happy for them when they won it as it was a nice underdog story and was great for the country with them about to host the Olympics. That was almost 10 years ago though and their football has regressed if anything over that time. Edited by Isa

I really hate to see a team like Mexico who did poorly for over a year in arguably a considerably easier qualifying section get a chance to go to the world cup while Czech finishes 2nd in their group and doesnt even get a chance for a playoff. Put Czech in the Concacaf qualifying group and we'd be at every world cup. 

I really hate to see a team like Mexico who did poorly for over a year in arguably a considerably easier qualifying section get a chance to go to the world cup while Czech finishes 2nd in their group and doesnt even get a chance for a playoff. Put Czech in the Concacaf qualifying group and we'd be at every world cup. 

So what you're saying is you want a World Cup.....

... that doesn't represent the entire world?

Both our teams were shockingly poor..But you ended 3rd. ;)

Â