The Randy Lerner thread

CI

You are still missing the point.

Back then it didn't matter how rich the owner was. Doug got away with investing none of his own money because he didn't need to, in fact he paid himself a lot of money out if the club to buy his houses and cars etc.

That would not fly these days. You need an owner willing to put his hands in his own pockets like Lerner had done.

So how does it show it was easier then?

In Ellis' time a chairman didn't need personal wealth to invest in the club and there was only really Chelsea who had a significant sugar daddy in the latter stages of Ellis' tenure. Now a chairman needs to be a billionaire and half the league (or more?) have sugar daddies. That's why it was easier back then. Ellis wouldn't survive in this league the way the landscape has changed and we were on our way out of it before being rescued.

But Lerner is a billionaire so why is it hard for him? He also had the advantage of being a billionaire owner before others came into the league.

You asked why it is harder to be a chairman today than in Ellis' time. That's the question I answered. Not why it's harder for Lerner to be one, but the same answer would apply. Someone with a billion quid back at a time when you didn't need a billion quid would obviously have an enormous advantage. Now he merely has a level playing field because he's one of many billionaires. Back then he'd have had the whole field to himself (barring that pesky Russian).

Again though, the wage bill would have been fine if the players were good enough

Only partly true and should a club be aiming to sell its better players when trying to break the top 4?

And struggling to move players on doesn't just apply to Mon signings does it? When it's constantly happening maybe you need to question the one man who was there all the time.

Again though, the wage bill would have been fine if the players were good enough

Only partly true and should a club be aiming to sell its better players when trying to break the top 4?

And struggling to move players on doesn't just apply to Mon signings does it? When it's constantly happening maybe you need to question the one man who was there all the time.

Every club needs the  turnover of sales, but I'm not specifically talking about selling your best players, I'm talking about any players at all

Now he merely has a level playing field because he's one of many billionaires

So isn't that like when Doug was here? Lerner isn't a financial power house compared to his peers and neither was Doug when he was in charge. Why did Doug have such an advantage over his competition that made it easy?

The only reason Lerner has less of his personal wealth to invest in the club is because of his mistakes in life and football. It's not hard for a wealthy man to spend money.

I hear in some posts references to our best players being sold.

I ain't so sure those " best players" were even good enough.

hey just opinions.

Edited by TRO

I love how some of our fans are mentioning Roberto Martinez, when Randy went for him, the outrage on here was evident. Martinez turned us down, the man wasn't stupid, he looked at our squad and thought nah I'll be better off at Wigan.

We never offered him the job. We turned him down if you want to phrase it that way. Same as Liverpool.

Whelan wanting to big up his manager by claiming the opposite doesnt make it true.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

I love how some of our fans are mentioning Roberto Martinez, when Randy went for him, the outrage on here was evident. Martinez turned us down, the man wasn't stupid, he looked at our squad and thought nah I'll be better off at Wigan.

Yes, when MON left just before the season started fans were talking about bringing in Ancelotti or a manager like that, Martinez was howled down on here.

We were always going to struggle to get a manager at that stage of the season. It would have been a real struggle to find someone willing to take the job after preseason had finished and the window was almost closed. I don't have a problem with the appointment of Houllier under those circumstances.

We'd just finished 6th, from all reports houllier was on a decent wage and was allowed to smash the clubs transfer record.

Of course we wouldn't have struggled to get a manager. To think a man out of the game for 5 years with health issues was the best we could do is madness.

We'd just finished 6th, from all reports houllier was on a decent wage and was allowed to smash the clubs transfer record.

Of course we wouldn't have struggled to get a manager. To think a man out of the game for 5 years with health issues was the best we could do is madness.

Well I disagree and there is no way of proving either opinion correct. 

I can't wait to see what Lerner does next. I'm intrigued to see what happens after all the bomb squad have gone. Let's see what Lerner's plans are then.

No more excuses to hide behind then. I think this summer will really show what his intentions are for the future.

• Like 1

Well I disagree and there is no way of proving either opinion correct.

Common sense should tell you a club that just finished 6th, offering a good wage and allowing the clubs transfer record to be smashed is not going to be short of options.

I can't wait to see what Lerner does next. I'm intrigued to see what happens after all the bomb squad have gone. Let's see what Lerner's plans are then.

No more excuses to hide behind then. I think this summer will really show what his intentions are for the future.

He can still hide behind the contracts of Given and N'Zogbia unfortunately.

Â