The Randy Lerner thread

CI

TRO you seem to just be desperate to lay some blame for our current position on MON without anything to really back it up.

Since he left we've spent £61 million on new players and £16 million on compensation to managers.

I've also pointed out 6 players that were signed on contracts that total around £275,000 per week.

Simple question again which people don't seem to answer. Would we be in this current position if we'd hired the right man after MON and given them the exact amount of money as we've spent over the last 3 seasons? Quite clearly the answer is no. Of course we wouldn't.

Can we blame MoN for not being a top 6 club still? Yeah, he probably does deserve some blame for the club dropping from that position.

Is he to blame for our current situation? Absolutely not. Not even 1% to blame.

We had money and we had wages to spend after he left. We had plenty of opportunities to steady the ship.

Unfortunately all the things people soley blamed MoN for funnily enough continued for another 2 years after he left.

Actually, the only who seems desperate is you who tries to put away all the blame from MON. And whilst doing that, you also blame Lambert if he won't keep us up as that's the minimum you expect from him. Even though you say that Lerner has been all shite and done nothing right and hasn't backed up his managers as he should. Either he has done that and Lambert should do better, or he hasn't and Lambert is not to blame. Or, well, you expect us to always be up there as the least thing to expect. But even when we were up there under MON Lerner was still a bad owner as we crumbled when he left. And that we crumbled was all Lerners fault and nothing to do with MON. And if it was a little bit of MON's fault Lerner should have fired him, but when MON left it was just Lerners fault and not MON's whatsoever.

So all in all, after reading your posts, MON was the saviour that we kicked out and he did nothing wrong, but the reason we are where we are is because of everyine else surrounding the club. The other managers and the owner, and the CEO, combined. Sounds logical.

Genius, sounds about right.

For all the people who cannot let MON go there are some that still think the sun shines out his arse, the table must be tricky viewing at the moment.

I think he's doing an awful job at Sunderland.

But he isn't to blame one bit for our current situation.

I'll ask you the same. If we'd hired a good manager after Mon and spent the exact same amount over the last 3 years do you think we'd be in this exact same position?

Its already been spelled out by an earlier poster... the list of good managers were put off by the lack of funds that was consumed by the previous incumbent.... It was an austerity task that supposed good managers most likely baulked at.

I think we need to call it a draw John.

TRO you seem to just be desperate to lay some blame for our current position on MON without anything to really back it up.

Since he left we've spent £61 million on new players and £16 million on compensation to managers.

I've also pointed out 6 players that were signed on contracts that total around £275,000 per week.

Simple question again which people don't seem to answer. Would we be in this current position if we'd hired the right man after MON and given them the exact amount of money as we've spent over the last 3 seasons? Quite clearly the answer is no. Of course we wouldn't.

Can we blame MoN for not being a top 6 club still? Yeah, he probably does deserve some blame for the club dropping from that position.

We had money and we had wages to spend after he left. We had plenty of opportunities to steady the ship.

Unfortunately all the things people soley blamed MoN for funnily enough continued for another 2 years after he left.

Actually, the only who seems desperate is you who tries to put away all the blame from MON. And whilst doing that, you also blame Lambert if he won't keep us up as that's the minimum you expect from him. Even though you say that Lerner has been all shite and done nothing right and hasn't backed up his managers as he should. Either he has done that and Lambert should do better, or he hasn't and Lambert is not to blame. Or, well, you expect us to always be up there as the least thing to expect. But even when we were up there under MON Lerner was still a bad owner as we crumbled when he left. And that we crumbled was all Lerners fault and nothing to do with MON. And if it was a little bit of MON's fault Lerner should have fired him, but when MON left it was just Lerners fault and not MON's whatsoever.

So all in all, after reading your posts, MON was the saviour that we kicked out and he did nothing wrong, but the reason we are where we are is because of everyine else surrounding the club. The other managers and the owner, and the CEO, combined. Sounds logical.

For all the people who cannot let MON go there are some that still think the sun shines out his arse, the table must be tricky viewing at the moment.

I'll ask you the same. If we'd hired a good manager after Mon and spent the exact same amount over the last 3 years do you think we'd be in this exact same position?

Its already been spelled out by an earlier poster... the list of good managers were put off by the lack of funds that was consumed by the previous incumbent.... It was an austerity task that supposed good managers most likely baulked at.

ps but yes i get your point a couple of good managers would have been nice.

ps but yes i get your point a couple of good managers would have been nice.

pps another one like O'neill and we would have been playing greece....just joking.

I'm struggling to follow the debate on this thread. 

The manager isn't the be all and end all of a club. I don't know how many people the club employs but quite a few coaches, quite a few scouts, several executives. Perhaps it's fully detailed in the accounts but I don't think it is. The only thing we can be fully confident that the manager does is pick the team each game. 

If anyone wishes to enlighten me who actually signs players and how it has changed under Lerner please do. Apologies if it's been discussed elsewhere in the thread but it's too many pages to plow through. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think he had it tough. He clearly wasn't backed well enough. But that's why I think he needed to be smarter with his signings.

But how?  He signed a 29 year-old Premier League quality goalkeeper for free who has won us points on his own, he signed an international centre-half for about £2m, he signed a raw striker who has tripled in value in one season, he plucked a couple of players from lower leagues who have turned into steady Premier League players (Westwood is starting to look the real deal), picked a French lad nobody had ever heard of who has won the two games he's started and has added some needed steel.  Only El Ahmadi and Bennett have struggled but could well turn into important squad players next season.  Lambert was given OK money by Lerner and he's spent it as if every penny was is own, it is exactly what we've needed to get ourselves sorted out.

We have one of the worst defences in the league that he put together and he didn't have to.

I don't think a defence of Hutton Collins Clark warnock would have done worse than the defence put together by Lambert.

Instead of buying Vlaar, bennet, Lowton and KEA he could have spent the money on better quality.

Not saying it was easy but I don't believe he had to spend the money like he did.

Game of opinions I suppose, I think a defence of Hutton, Collins, Clark and Warnock would have been much much worse.

And I believe Lambert would have been hammered for not replacing them after we condeded goal after goal. "Did he not watch us last season?" Etc etc.

Instead of buying Vlaar, Bennett, Lowton, KEA, who could he have signed? For a combined ~£10m? On a combined ~65k? 

I don't think any other other manager in the country would have been able to bring in better players for such small sums.

No one else would have signed Benteke, so to be honest, I think we'd probably be dead bottom with most other managers anyway. Of course I don't know that, but it's an opinion, just like your interesting one about those donks from last season being a stronger unit that the current set of donks we have.

Edited by Tomaszk

I think a defence of Hutton, Collins, Clark and Warnock would have been much much worse

Well we didn't concede this many goals last year.

When was the last time we conceded 60 league goals in a season? We're going to smash that figure this year.

Instead of buying Vlaar, Bennett, Lowton, KEA, who could he have signed? For a combined ~£10m? On a combined ~65k?

I think that could have signed a couple of decent players that would have strengthened areas we needed.

Instead we got two defenders that have created an awful defence and two players who don't play or look like they should play.

Get MON back? The biggest con in English football has finally been found out. You couldn't pay me to get him back.

How is he the biggest con in football?

This is the first time he's done a poor job at a club and actually he still didn't have 1 full season at Sunderland.

I think that could have signed a couple of decent players that would have strengthened areas we needed.

Instead we got two defenders that have created an awful defence and two players who don't play or look like they should play.

Who? What areas? For that money, on those wages?

If Vlaar had been fit all season, I think we'd be at least 6 points better off.

Get MON back? The biggest con in English football has finally been found out. You couldn't pay me to get him back.

This is the first time he's done a poor job at a club and actually he still didn't have 1 full season at Sunderland.

the man is a media hyped conman similar to Harry Redknapp. Football will breath a sigh of relief now he is gone from teh game.

anyway that is goingoff-topic. can talk about the fraud in his own thread ;)

I bet every team could mention one player and talk about how they could be better off.

I'm not a professional scout but I'd be amazed if we couldn't get a couple of decent players for £5 million and £30,000 a week wages each.

Are you really suggesting that our money could not have been spent better?

The defence is a shambles.

KEA, Bennet and Bowery barely play and contribute very little.

You're honestly going to argue that it couldn't possibly be better?

I bet every team could mention one player and talk about how they could be better off.

I'm not a professional scout but I'd be amazed if we couldn't get a couple of decent players for £5 million and £30,000 a week wages each.

The same Bennet who has played 23 games......

If he played fifty games, does that make him any good?

The guy is simply not a defender. Wide midfielder, yes.....with promise. But leftback? really?

If he played fifty games, does that make him any good?

The guy is simply not a defender. Wide midfielder, yes.....with promise. But leftback? really?

I didnt say he was any good and I agree I am forever telling my friends in the pub no way is he a left back a left winger maybe, way too careless on the ball to be a defender. He simply made the comment he barely plays I just wanted to correct it.

In hindsight, he did a pretty awful job here. 

Â