The Randy Lerner thread

CI

7th in the league, unbeaten - a solid if unspectacular start to the season? Good youngsters coming through? An in form Gabby? A superb striker (Bent)? A reasonably solid defence? A superb keeper? Any of that ring a bell?

So, you're happy with the way things are at the moment? You think that 2 wins out of 7 from our very easy start is a good return? As for the good youngsters that's all they are at the moment. Good youngsters there's no guarantee even one of them will be first-team regulars. And whilst Rome is burning let's just pat ourselves on the back that we have Darren bent. great, but who is going to create for him?

Clearly the playing side needs 3 or 4 players minimum. We can't get them because of our wage bill. We need to get more players out before we get players in and you think what we have now is good enough? We were better last year and we struggled for most of the season. We can't get more players in because as a business we have been poorly managed and now those big birds are coming home to roost.

As defines Villa we haven't grabbed the bull by the horns when we had the opportunity to do so. We're sitting back crossing our fingers and hoping that what we have is good enough. For the first time in a long time if we combined a Villa and Fulham team, Villa and Stoke, Villa and Newcastle we'd find a lot more of their players getting into our team than has been seen for a while. And ask yourself who's anti-football would you watch if you had to all things being equal, that of Pulis or McLeish?

randy is now constantly getting things wrong off the pitch. No matter how many free coaches are laid on big changes in personnel behind the scenes are needed. the car crash that is faulkner is the first.

We're not good enough on the pitch for a respectable 7-9th finish? Bullshit.

VT and a number of threads on here read like tabloid newspapers constantly like a dripping tap coming up with negative sensationalist bullshit. Constantly repeating the same shit in the face of fact, evidence and reason wont make it true.

According to a lot on here we're always only just about good enough to avoid relegation.

No, but one or wo injuries again (remember them if not see last season) and the cupboard is hardly full of ready replacements. last year our two best players more or less kept us afloat by suppying Bent. They've gone. The team is disjointed. An injury to gabby and Bent and then what's left?

An injury to Petrov in the middle and what's there?

We're just drifting again. its the shocking slide to mediocrity that is angering people and the realisation that Randy hasn't got a back-up plan to avoid it rather than selling our assets and hoping the kids come good.

Who's fault is it that we're going back to being a club that are a top-flight non-entity? That's arguable but what isn't is that we should be patting Lerner on the back for past efforts. Doug got those in 68.

For those who are looking lovingly back to the Ellis years, get a grip. It was shit, we were truelly going nowhere with for the most part, mediocre signings (McCann anyone?)

I doubt anyone is looking back lovingly on the Ellis years, quite the opposite actually as I think people are actually comparing where we are now to those years and saying that those years were bad, not good enough and where we are now is similar, we have not moved on significantly.

I could argue that those who seeing the comparisons being made and then arguing that some of us are over estimating them are actually themselves over estimating the current situation.

An injury to x and injury to y

Only a few teams in the whole league can cope with an injuries to key players.

Move on to next excuse to have a go.

I think most could cope with an injury to one or maybe two key players. Not sure we could even do that.

The accounts aren't healthy, but they're not shocking, that's sensationalist bullshit.

Oh? I await your analysis with baited breath.

There is plenty of info on the net regarding the state of clubs finances.

You HAVE actually seen the accounts then? You wouldn't possibly shout "bullshit" on information you haven't seen, would you?

The accounts aren't healthy, but they're not shocking, that's sensationalist bullshit.

Oh? I await your analysis with baited breath.

There is plenty of info on the net regarding the state of clubs finances.

You HAVE actually seen the accounts then? You wouldn't possibly shout "bullshit" on information you haven't seen, would you?

I believe there is enough information regarding premiership club finances, it's a topic that is discussed and analysed to death. I take the view of most experts, that although not healthy our finances are not in dire straits.

Aston Villa need to scale back

Ha ha, I'll take that as a no then!

I could tell you were talking out of your arse, but I had a small hope that your research would amount to slightly more than a 3 line summary from The Guardian, especially as you seemed so sure that other people's opinions were BULLSHIT!!!!1111

The subject has been discussed in many places, the general consensus is we need to trim the wage bill. The challenge is doing that without weakening the team too much. At the moment we're good for a 7-8th finish and the wage bill is being dealt with. We wont get relegated, we wont go bust. You spout sensationalist bullshit.

The subject has been discussed in many places, the general consensus is we need to trim the wage bill. The challenge is doing that without weakening the team too much. At the moment we're good for a 7-8th finish and the wage bill is being dealt with. We wont get relegated, we wont go bust. You spout sensationalist bullshit.

Please highlight in this thread where I have said we will either get relegated or go bust, and if you can't, perhaps you'll be man enough to apologise.

So Randy is now guilty of not understanding the limitations of certain players and how much they should be paid.

Mon - I'd like to sign Emile Heskey he will cost x amount, he's currently on 35k so to come here he wants a pay rise.

Randy - Ok, will he be first team, is this the man you want?

Mon - Yes and Yes

Randy - Ok then we'll get him

If Randy said no Mon spits his dummy and Randy is then accused of interferring with player selection and management of the team.

Mon - I'd like to sign Habib Beye he will cost x amount, he's currently on around 35k so to come here he wants a pay rise.

Randy - Ok, will he be first team, is this the man you want?

Mon - Yes and Yes

Randy - Ok then we'll get him

If Randy said no Mon spits his dummy and Randy is then accused of interferring with player selection and management of the team.

Repeat to fade.

The thing is eventually we werent succesful with the players bought and some of these players were not even involved in the team at all. So Randy puts a stop to it and guess what MON spits his dummy out and half the supporters are up in arms. Now it has come full circle and Randy should have known better than the manager of who should and shouldnt have been signed.

Theres' a middle ground here.

Yes we're short of playing staff but you cant pin the blame for that soley on the door of the likes of Beye and Ireland, or the people that brought them into the club.

Our wages are limited by 2 factors:

1. The amount of income the club can generate.

2. The amount of that income we're prepared/permitted to spend.

Unless football goes through another reform similar to when the PL was instigated we can do little to significantly improve our revenue, in fact we're lucky Liverpool failed in their TV money ploy.

Now regardless of whether your name is Martin O'Neil or Arsene Wenger, good players capable of improving most PL squads cost a set amount of money per week. That amount will of course vary but with the way the business is now with agents and the like players will be well aware of what they can earn and who is prepared to pay it.

Now no defence for MoN a large portion of his wage budget was wasted, but what we are being told now is that our wage structure as it stands is unaffordable, so even if those players were playing and lighting up the league we still couldn't afford their wages.

That in turn has repocussions for our better players, for example why would Young wish to remain here with wages capped at say £60k a week when he can go to Utd on £100k a week and actually win something?

Lerner can do little about that, and a director of football whilst he might veto some of the signings and present some slightly more fan friendly names will actually struggle to recruit real quality in the quantity we require given the budget of the club.

I fear that unless something in football fundamentally changes, like a standard wage cap per squad regardless of income(which of course will never be approved) then our ionly hope is to follow the Man City model before UEFA close that door as well.

Please highlight in this thread where I have said we will either get relegated or go bust, and if you can't, perhaps you'll be man enough to apologise.

You want rid of Lerner, you think he's shit, I assumed the way your posts have gone, you thought we were relegation fodder. Your telling my your chucking a hysterical fit because what? You think we're mid table quality? Get a grip.

I saw the PL trophy yesterday, it was at my work for some PR thing, anyway I looked at the inscriptions from 1992 onwards and couldn't help but ask myself what if.......

And here lies the root cause of our problems today. We proved in 1992 we were good enough to challenge for this league, but where as our competitors realised the game was changing and invested heavily (except Chelsea and City) we got left behind and Man Utd grew into one of the biggest brands in the world.

What we're asking for now as fans is players capable of challenging these clubs but with a fraction of their budgets and the maths simply do not work. Yes Beye is a donkey but who else was prepared to sign on less money? Yes Heskey wasn't great for the wages but again who else was interested ina move for less.

Looking at TV revenue Liverpool had a valid point I think, I was in Kenya a couple of weeks ago and everybody out there supports an English team well 1 of 4 (can you guess which), and they genuinely only bother to watch the games when either one of those 4 are playing. Needless to say the bar showing QPR Vs Villa was empty with the exception of me and my GF.

So if anything our TV revenue is more likely to go down than go up in the near future. But pretty much none of this is Lerner's fault, nor McLeish's.

We're asking our manager to go out and buy a top 4 squad on a midtable budget and it simply is not sustainable.

Â