The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think Randy will stick around a few years, repay the loans to himself, charge interest and management fees and once the club is debt free and he has recouped most of what he has invested he will look to sell and recoup the initial investment of buying the club.

In order to do that he just needs us to stay in the PL and keep our wage bill lower than our income to generate enough money to repay the loans.

The strange thing is there are going to be fans who have no problem with this.

This approach also runs the risk of relegation like we're seeing now. When you continue to cut costs and employ a poor manager all it takes is a bad injury period or other teams to have a shock run of form and you could find yourself down.

I also worry what our reputation will be like and what long term damage this approach will cause by the time Lerner moves on.

Truly an awful owner.

Randy made mistakes, I believe he's trying to correct them now, and i think he's done enough good to be given the time to do that, and then see where he takes us from there.

If he f***s up again though I want his head on the gates by the North Stand !

Just humour me.... but whats he correcting?

Randy made mistakes, I believe he's trying to correct them now, and i think he's done enough good to be given the time to do that, and then see where he takes us from there.

Well, The finance issues are by far the biggest that the club faces at the moment, he's correcting the wage bill, changing the transfer policy, increasing commercial revenue etc etc.

Football will suffer during this time, maybe that's why McLeish got the job :)

Can you just note down the good things he has done that give you hope for the future?

I wish he'd speak to us fans! It's not like he is not around. He's really f**ked us over this season and kept very quiet. If he wants to sell some more season tickets, he could do with convincing the fans to buy them. Not many people are so convinced it seems. His puppets Faulkner and McLeish are struggling to put his plans across to us, apart from the clear "cost cutting" one.

Well, The finance issues are by far the biggest that the club faces at the moment, he's correcting the wage bill, changing the transfer policy, increasing commercial revenue etc etc.

I must have have missed all this.

Attendances are down, and will slump further next season - against that I can't see commercial revenue increasing.

I suppose your right about the wages - but thats pretty easy to do (sell your best players) - on a value point - i reckon Ashley young on £50k per week - was better value than Hutton on £30k per week

Like Oil tankers things turn round slowly.

But its vital you make sure the captain and the pilot are experienced maritime people. Not Faulkner and McLeish.

The ship is holed below the waterline. The question now is whether it can limp back to port or will we run aground and have to be refloated in the championship...

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has urged his players to be strong following Stiliyan Petrov's diagnosis with acute leukaemia.

The 32-year-old began treatment in a London hospital this week after being diagnosed with the condition.

Continue reading the main story

“He also told the players to be strong and be in charge of their own destiny for the remaining eight games”

Alex McLeish Aston Villa manager

Lerner has spoken to the players about Petrov, who he visited this week, and urged them to take charge of their remaining matches.

Villa are only five points above the Premier League relegation zone.

They were missing eight senior players for last weekend's defeat by Chelsea.

Villa manager Alex McLeish said Lerner had rallied the players and said "a few words about Stan and said we were all standing toe to toe to support him".

"But he also told the players to be strong themselves and be in charge of their own destiny for the remaining eight games.

"He told the lads to have the confidence and belief in themselves and for the youngsters to really make a go of it.

"It was good for [Lerner] to do that with the boys." .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17625923

Reading between the lines....is there a bit of hope in this?

But he also told the players to be strong themselves and be in charge of their own destiny for the remaining eight games.

In other words, ignore this numpty and do your own thing!?

Attendances are down, and will slump further next season - against that I can't see commercial revenue increasing.

I suppose your right about the wages - but thats pretty easy to do (sell your best players) - on a value point - i reckon Ashley young on £50k per week - was better value than Hutton on £30k per week

Attendances are meaningless in modern football.

Nonsense. Money from matchday accounts for somewhere between a quarter and a third of the club's income.

It's become proportionally less important with the rise of TV money, but far from meaningless. The more attendances drop, the less we can afford in the wagebill.

But he also told the players to be strong themselves and be in charge of their own destiny for the remaining eight games.

Wishful thinking I think mate :winkold:

Just some cliché pick-me-ups methinks to try and get the lads a bit more motivated.

Unfortunately I don't think it's code for, "Ignore McLeish and do what you think is best out there on the pitch. Bear with it for a few more games, he'll be gone at the end of the season, promise."

Though at the same time it very much could mean that.. I know Lerner is quite the wordsmith and rather epic at stringing a long a well crafted tale of success, but for him to come out and pretty much say in less direct words to ignore the manager isn't something a chairman says unless the manager is going soon.

Nonsense. Money from matchday accounts for somewhere between a quarter and a third of the club's income.

It's become proportionally less important with the rise of TV money, but far from meaningless. The more attendances drop, the less we can afford in the wagebill.

Not true, international TV rights are rising, the club could absolutely not manage without TV money, whereas factoring in all the costs of match day it probably could manage without the fans at the game.

Admittedly it would be like football on the Mary Celeste, but the influence of fans is dwindling when compared with the big money form TV.

Though at the same time it very much could mean that.. I know Lerner is quite the wordsmith and rather epic at stringing a long a well crafted tale of success, but for him to come out and pretty much say in less direct words to ignore the manager isn't something a chairman says unless the manager is going soon.

Except...

a) It's not a direct quote as to what he said as far as we know,

and

b)It was even McLeish who was paraphrasing him, so I highly doubt that was the intention.

I mean, I wish it was, but it's clearly not that. By saying you're in charge of your own destiny he's trying to gee up the players saying that it's in your hands to win games, you're the eleven men out there on the field so go and get it done. I don't even think Lerner would be that unprofessional to tell the players to ignore the manager, even though it would be a cracking piece of advice.

Is Lerner, the magical disappearing owner doing McLeish's job and galvanizing the squad? He really must be even more useless than I thought. I think he's probably the most useless Villa manager I've known. This isn't news to anyone, I just felt the need to post something as I haven't for ages.

Â