The Randy Lerner thread

CI

He didn't have half the money to actually have a proper go at it. 

I think he did, barely, and within a very tight window, but we spent enough money to be able to do it. And we fcuked it up

• Like 1

Did we spend enough to do it? It took man city a hell of a lot to do it and stay there. Look at spurs and Liverpool and the money they've spent and their not consistently in the top 4.

We gave it a good go but I can't agree we spent enough to say we should have done it

• Like 1

Now do a second good thing and sell us. Don't want more days like this. to the right buyers, and not a dodgy consortium that needs to take loans to afford us. Otherwise, feel free to stay and keep things as they are right now

Fixed

You can't blame everything on the MON era.

Find me a Villa fan who didn't enjoy the football 2006-2010.

What would you prefer 6th or battling relegation year on year relying on others to keep us up

Well, we have had to enjoy both under Lerner. It has taken him nearly 10 years to find the right manager. Five of those years he covered his eyes and ears as the spending went too far (five year plan? - not sure how the word 'plan' can ever be used with Lerner!), and the other five were all about cutting the team/spending, appointing awful managers (and sticking with one too long) - before FINALLY making a decent decision and getting somebody else in to run the football side and suddenly the correct decision about management is made.

It's been one cock up after another from the idiot who owns this club and it's about time somebody else took over.

• Like 2

Hopefully this won't take the thread down the "was MON good or bad" rabbit-hole, but quite honestly I didn't enjoy the football for the last 2/3rd's of the MON era. 

We were tough to beat sure - the football was effective but it wasn't particularly exciting or attractive. Defend the 18 yard area with 3 centre backs in the back 4, and give it Ashley Young and hope he can cross it to Carew. It was quite boring to be honest and I don't believe we would have ever really competed at the top of Premier league, let alone in the Champions League with those fairly antiquated, one dimensional tactics.

Why O'neil didn't use his plan B was the consistent gripe for years. The reason was he didn't have one - unless you count putting Milner at right back and sending Zat Knight up front to play as a target man.

Because we never had the talent in the team for top 4. We got a less than a goal allowed per game over a whole season out of a Dunne-Collins centre back pairing FFS, this is incredible no matter how you slice it. With Cuellar and Warnock as full backs to boot!

Our star players - Young, Milner, Barry and Downing - have moved on and proved to be no more than bit part players on top 4 teams ( some have done better - Barry, some worse - Downing ). They were never good enough.

Our main striker loved strip clubs and has unsurprisingly disappeared off the face of the (football) world shortly after leaving and our top goalscorer was Gabriel Agbonlahor. Say that again cause it's ridiculous - top goal scorer is Gabriel Agbonlahor. 

Top 4? Having a laugh.

Tactics were too antiquated, undeniably, but with the talent available top 4 was way out of reach realistically. 

Every time I think about the MON era now a days, the only thing that comes into my head is Habib Beye.  I’ve tried seeking help about it but to no avail.  Just won’t leave my head,

Multiply that by about another 20 odd and you will be somewhere close.

Any villa fan would take the league position....but there was more to it than that.....the money spent to achieve it for starters.

Any villa fan would take the league position....but there was more to it than that.....the money spent to achieve it for starters.

As Folski's post shows the money was not enough for 4th.

It was if it wasnt spent on some of the defo we bought. Unless you're saint we bought as well as we possibly could have?

As Folski's post shows the money was not enough for 4th.

It was if it wasnt spent on some of the defo we bought. Unless you're saint we bought as well as we possibly could have?

No team ever buys as well as they possibly can. You have to factor in some wastage. 

We never had the budget to get top 4. Man City showed the type of spending you need to do it. 

• Like 2

Â