The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Aghanistan = my ARSE!

Given the restrictions on military aircraft landing at Kabul there is no chance of his :)

Fair enough. I only report what I know. If you choose not to believe it, that's cool.

Notice the :) Maybe he has had his new jet done up in cammo and fitted missiles :)

Erm...isn't that the same thing?

No because I believe he intended to get it back I don't believe it was a gift.

I think that he did say at the time that he bought the club that there were a lot better, and easier, ways of getting a return on £60m+. Most finance people concurred with that view at the time, so I don't think that he viewed buying the Villa as the way to a fast, or even medium term, buck.

He did and I agree with you but neither do I think he did it any of it as a gift.

Only briefly looking at the last two pages of debate with you and Blandy, I've only seen you use the term 'gift'. On the point of 'has he invested money', blandy has given an evidenced argument which shows he has, and you have agreed.

No he hasn't and no I certainly haven't. I agree he has invested as well as loaned I don't accept the notion that his investment wasn't actually an investment but a gift.

I responded to someone else (not Blandy) who claimed Randy had given/gifted money to the club saying I didn't agree, Blandy then disagreed with me.

I refuse to accept this notion that he has gifted the club money because there is absolutely nothing to support that other than personal belief.

The truth it neither of us can be sure our options are right but there really is nothing on which you can say I'm incorrect even if you don't agree.

Yes, there really is, mate. It's in the fecking accounts! I can be absolutely certain, even as a non-bean counter, that Randy has, via equity transferred money from his personal funds to those of the club. That is in layman's terms, to all intents and purposes "giving the club money".

It is also the means, by the by, that UEFA under their financial fair play rule allow owners to put in money, precisely because it is not a loan, and can't be just taken back out, (other than effectively selling all or part of the club. And as I mentioned, there is no realistic prospect of getting it all back, even then).

Only briefly looking at the last two pages of debate with you and Blandy, I've only seen you use the term 'gift'. On the point of 'has he invested money', blandy has given an evidenced argument which shows he has, and you have agreed.

No he hasn't and no I certainly haven't. I agree he has invested as well as loaned I don't accept the notion that his investment wasn't actually an investment but a gift.

I responded to someone else (not Blandy) who claimed Randy had given/gifted money to the club saying I didn't agree, Blandy then disagreed with me.

He has put money in, whether he is motivated by profit or on field success is IMO by the by, they are interlinked.

If he wants to speculate his own money to make us a success that's a good thing. Football isn't philanthropy, if anybody on previous pages described the investment as a gift, then that is probably incorrect - but it's not a black mark against Randy surely?

Yes, there really is, mate. It's in the fecking accounts! I can be absolutely certain, even as a non-bean counter, that Randy has, via equity transferred money from his personal funds to those of the club. That is in layman's terms, to all intents and purposes "giving the club money".

That isn't proof that it is a gift that is simply your view but I've already answered that.

And as I mentioned, there is no realistic prospect of getting it all back, even then).

At this moment in time. It doesn't mean he didn't think there was at the time or that it won't be possible in the future.

As I said it comes down to nothing but opinion mate and mine is different to yours. There isn't much point us both repeating them over and over as neither of us is going to change our view.

He has put money in, whether he is motivated by profit or on field success is IMO by the by, they are interlinked.

I agree I've never argued that he hasn't and I will argue with anyone who says he is no different/better than Ellis because of that very point (amongst others)

If he wants to speculate his own money to make us a success that's a good thing. Football isn't philanthropy, if anybody on previous pages described the investment as a gift, then that is probably incorrect - but it's not a black mark against Randy surely?

Yes it is and no it isn't we agree. Someone did described it as a gift or being given to the club which is what I disagree with and on that Blandy disagree's with me.

Perhaps I should add I don't expect him to give his money to the club either but I just don't accept the suggestion that this is what he has done because he might not get a return on his investment.

Exactly, absolutely laughable scenario

You do not take a private jet into Kabul just now

So what are the restrictions and current rulings that have been imposed with regards to chartering a private plane to Afghanistan? I dont think he mentioned Kabul though.

Been bought by the Taliban could be intriguing as doubt many the players be going on the lash before/after the game and not only would it increase our profile in Asia(which some people are craving) Im sure we be known all over the world :P

Dont get me wrong, I think the issue at the Villa is 100% the fault of Faulkner and would rejoice in the streets if he quit / was sacked.

But I don't buy this "we need a CEO who knows football" line. Just coz they know football, does not mean they will be any good.

I mean, Ray Ranson became a multi-millionaire in his businesses and played nearly 500 games at the highest (apart from when he was at the Blues) level.

Didn't make him any good for Coventry did it.

Look at all the good CEO's and they have no connection to football. What they do have in common though is they listen to the managers who actual do know !!!!

I agree. A good CEO would be someone with experience of a niche sporting/leisure/entertainment business of at least £100m turnover.

However, it would be useful if there was someone on the board/acting in an advisory capacity who had specific knowledge of the football world and how things move/happen.

Â