The Randy Lerner thread

CI

It's bollocks. We are not reducing our wage bill to meet any sort of stringent Uefa guidelines as these will only matter if we make it into Europe, which we won't with a poorer quality squad.

Besides, how exactly are Man City justifying their wage bill? With "investment" of some sort it doesn't actually matter what the wage bill is as other clubs will already have a workaround in place. The fact is RL wants to drastically cut costs and try to turn a profit, which is fair enough. It's more the PR bullshit than the actual fact we are cost cutting that's the problem.

Although I do agree that their are several players that I would be happy to see the back of come the summer...

Dunne (55k)

Heskey (60k)

Collins (45k)

Beye (40k)

Ireland (72k)

Warnock (45k)

Petrov (50k)

367k/week (£18.85m/week roughly) on average (at best) players.

While I agree with your sentiment there are 5 first team regulars in there which will need replacing, and with no fees coming in for them I cant see how that will happen

I've just dug out the following extract (90% of the article) from the Telegraph of April 11, 2010 (it refers to statements given by RL to the Independent, not the Telegraph):

While Lerner will only talk to O'Neill, who is on a 12-month rolling contract, at the end of the current campaign, the American businessman is eager to reward Villa's faithful supporters by giving something back.

"I think there's a palpable frustration among football fans right now that I believe we in the football business should be conscious of," Lerner told the Independent.

"Fans see TV revenues going up, wages going up, the price of their tickets going up and they're thinking: 'Hey, it's the same round ball, the same number of players and still two 45-minute halves. We don't get it.'

Then, he states:

"Winning supporters over can only really be achieved by what you do, not what you say. It's no use just smiling and shaking hands and getting quoted with witty one-liners. We'll be judged by our actions: ticket prices, conditions inside the ground, how good our hospitality is and, of course, how the team develops.

"I'm not in this to win a popularity contest and I guess that's why I keep a relatively low profile. Winning our fans' approval will come from all of us doing the right things for the right reasons, me included."

"We'll be judged by our actions" ... "doing the right things for the right reasons".

"How the team develops" seemed to be bottom of the list of his priorities.

That's what he stated then and perhaps part of the reason why we wondered about the lack of communication on a change of tack since then. Not saying that pulling his horns in financially was not a right thing, but I think you know what I mean.

Be interesting to see if Mcleish shares the view of Faulkner. I very much doubt it and I very much doubt he will appreciate Faulkner coming out with unrealistic bollocks.

Very true. Given the word from the club at the time of the appointment/before the season that we were still aiming to reduce the wage bill and hence meet the forthcoming UEFA wages/revenue guidelines etc, this really is baffling from Faulkner. Can't make up my mind as to whether he is extremely naive and thinks his statement will appease some of our support or is simply an absolute moron who has no idea what is going on.

The latter.......

It's bollocks. We are not reducing our wage bill to meet any sort of stringent Uefa guidelines as these will only matter if we make it into Europe, which we won't with a poorer quality squad.

Besides, how exactly are Man City justifying their wage bill? With "investment" of some sort it doesn't actually matter what the wage bill is as other clubs will already have a workaround in place.

So we don't have a good enough squad to get into Europe, so what's the alternative? We put players on huge money again, causing an even larger wage bill (again), and thus reversing the club's efforts to dig us out of our losses! ...

Being careful with money is of course important, but to make best use of resources it would be a good idea to appoint of a manager who has some idea on how football should be played. Especially to keep the fans reasonably happy and feel that at least there is an attempt at keeping up to an acceptable standard.

John, I agree with that.

My only gripe with Lerner is the appointment of McLeish. All it does is drive the fans away. Some people said from the start that they have no interest in watching McLeish's anti-football. Some said they wouldn't go any more because he's ex-Blues. Those who said they'll give him a chance will start to drift away, bored by the awful football being served up.

We need someone in the hot-seat who can bring the fans back with a decent brand of football.

Besides, how exactly are Man City justifying their wage bill? With "investment" of some sort it doesn't actually matter what the wage bill is as other clubs will already have a workaround in place.

So we don't have a good enough squad to get into Europe, so what's the alternative? We put players on huge money again, causing an even larger wage bill (again), and thus reversing the club's efforts to dig us out of our losses! ...

Being careful with money is of course important, but to make best use of resources it would be a good idea to appoint of a manager who has some idea on how football should be played. Especially to keep the fans reasonably happy and feel that at least there is an attempt at keeping up to an acceptable standard.

John, I agree with that.

My only gripe with Lerner is the appointment of McLeish. All it does is drive the fans away. Some people said from the start that they have no interest in watching McLeish's anti-football. Some said they wouldn't go any more because he's ex-Blues. Those who said they'll give him a chance will start to drift away, bored by the awful football being served up.

We need someone in the hot-seat who can bring the fans back with a decent brand of football.

please tell who this magic person is ?

What happens? We will be in the bottom half and we will likely stay there for some time.

As for where Randy is I'd imagine he is somewhere many miles away thinking of things to do tomorrow that don't involve watching more of the shite we saw on Sunday at stupid o'clock US time.

There is no chance of Mcleish being sacked though. If people want him gone the only way that can happen will be for hardly any fans to turn up to home games and completely boycott the away games too. I don't know how I feel yet, I'm not at the 'Mcleish out stage'. That's probably because I know for a fact that that there are 4 teams far frigging worse than us.

But, for What happened Monday - we can't have another performance like that - that really was a load of shit. I actually wanted the time I spent watching it back! God knows what those who actually went to the game felt...

Besides, how exactly are Man City justifying their wage bill? With "investment" of some sort it doesn't actually matter what the wage bill is as other clubs will already have a workaround in place. The fact is RL wants to drastically cut costs and try to turn a profit, which is fair enough. It's more the PR bullshit than the actual fact we are cost cutting that's the problem.

Although I do agree that their are several players that I would be happy to see the back of come the summer...

Dunne (55k)

Heskey (60k)

Collins (45k)

Beye (40k)

Ireland (72k)

Warnock (45k)

Petrov (50k)

367k/week (£18.85m/week roughly) on average (at best) players.

While I agree with your sentiment there are 5 first team regulars in there which will need replacing, and with no fees coming in for them I cant see how that will happen

Cuellar, Clark, Baker and Stevens battling for three defensive spots there?

Delph replacing Petrov.

Gardner replacing Heskey.

--------------- Given -------------

Lichaj --- Cuellar - Baker --- Clark

--------------- Herd --------------

---------------------- Delph ------

------ Gardner --------------------

NZogbia --------------------- Gab

--------------- Bent --------------

I don't think we will be the only PL team that needs to bring through youth as the only teams that really generate enough funds to pay transfer fees (profit after wage bill) are Utd and Arsenal, unless another club sells a player. I think the landscape/rules are about to change with FFP.

Lerner needs to sell up. An absolute joke of an owner.

:lol:

Perhaps the venkeys could buy us.

Yes, lets bring up the very worst chairman in the league as an example of why Randy is good. Well done.

Now lets make a list of chairman who do a much better job and who don't screw up two sports clubs (and football club by spending too much like a little schoolboy on sweets trying to buy attention of the bullies around him to stop them beating him - and then when it doesn't work, selling his mums best jewellery to make up for it) and also a man who appoints one of the worst managers in the premier league last season, one who has relegated more clubs than any of our past 5 managers and one who has no idea how to set up a football team.

So yes, lets bring up venkeys and use them as a tool to beat people with who do not lick the PR off the current chairmans bollocks.

Yes, lets bring up the very worst chairman in the league as an example of why Randy is good. Well done.

Now lets make a list of chairman who do a much better job and who don't screw up two sports clubs (and football club by spending too much like a little schoolboy on sweets trying to buy attention of the bullies around him to stop them beating him - and then when it doesn't work, selling his mums best jewellery to make up for it) and also a man who appoints one of the worst managers in the premier league last season, one who has relegated more clubs than any of our past 5 managers and one who has no idea how to set up a football team.

So yes, lets bring up venkeys and use them as a tool to beat people with who do not lick the PR off the current chairmans bollocks.

THIS!!!

All the way ....................Mr Grin You are officially annoying !

OMG. An actual post in which you don't criticise Villa fans.

You still did not answer my post from last week on whether you actually go to Villa Park. Any time I've looked through match day threads you are in there slabbering about Villa fans once the game is going on.

:lol: you have an Un-healthy obsession with me dodgy, posting in poster left right and centre.

So Lerner is a joke of a chairman, but not as much as a joke as an actual shit owner in the venkeys, oh ok. Typical VT depressive logic there..

Season ticket for many a yeah thank you TheDrums lower holte, enjoyed supporting villa when we were doing nothin, supposedly doing something under o'neill and back to doing nothing, couldn't afford it this year :(

I'll still enjoy it if we win the league or are relegated god forbid, whilst plenty of vt will witness the apocalypse unless PF is sacked along with our current manager and the second coming owner (with a self made fortune obviously) comes along and makes people feel important again.

John, I agree with that.

please tell who this magic person is ?

That magic comment is just ludicrous. Why dont we just build for the future, with the kids and a progressive brand of football. I cannot fathom how people cannot see that? As for managers:

Gus Poyet

Paul Lambert

Brendon Rogers

Mark Hughes

Roy Hodgson

Thats in England alone and I would bet good money any single one would bring a better philosophy than McLeish.

Thinking we better stick to McLeish because there is no one better out there is paranoid android stuff.

I'd say my only obsession is defending the fans from abuse which is not wanted or needed. You seem to think we want anybody but Lerner, not the case at all and most of us appreciate what he has done at the club but that does not make him the best man to take us forward.

So he is sat there protecting the future of our club by making cut backs to the wages and saving money. Who was it who invested all the money and took out a high rate loan from his own family and who then took that money back in lump sums at the same time we made around £20m in transfer fees?

Who also appointed a manager who has twice been relegated in England, once in Scotland and who also cost Rangers their annual spot in the top two some 10 years ago.

At least he is not Venkeys is exactly what is wrong...

At least Saddam was not Hitler... bet the Kurds loved that, of course the halabja poison gas attack is most certainly a crime not worthy of looking at as Hitler did worse.

At least David Cameron is not Thatcher.

At least Villa are not Leeds (although seeing as Randy studied them hard, you'd think he wanted us to be with the reckless way he handled the club and its finances)

So all hail Randy.

Â