The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I'm sure Steve Stride was around when we appointed Graham Taylor again.

Houlston, again you're off target. I've done a lot of research of late (for the new history coming out next year). GT wasn't really the problem - it was more the HDE environment he was working in. GT as good as stated that when he left with a year or two still left on his contract.

I think the loss of Steve Stride was an odd one, but then maybe his strong connection with the previous regime was considered to be a problem. He certainly would not have been suitable as a CEO, as he simply did not have the financial and general business experience required. I also would question how much involvement in decision making he'd ever had, sure he was Doug's apprentice, but a confidante ?

It's a shame though that loyal servants such as Steve Stride are no longer at the club, but then any new regime will want their people.

Houlston, again you're off target. I've done a lot of research of late (for the new history coming out next year). GT wasn't really the problem - it was more the HDE environment he was working in. GT as good as stated that when he left with a year or two still left on his contract.

ha ha ha amazing

I haven't really seen a good argument why we should all be happy with Lerner and why we should have faith in him for the future.

The main points of defending him seem to be

1) we all make mistakes

2) the grass isn't always greener

3) he has good intentions.

Not a great list really.

The majority of Villa fans are happy to hear from him no mater what medium he uses. There will always be some people unhappy and this forum brings out the extremes on both sides.

Personally, I'm happy that he wants to keep the club lets hope he is proved correct with his faith in McLeish.

Mate, it's not that people are not happy to get communication but that there's a deep suspicion amongst more than a few that what is delivered is not getting to the heart of the matter.

ha ha ha amazing

I inferred, of course, that whatever issue there was about GT's appointment and tenure was not the fault of Steve Stride.

My references to Steve Stride have been purely in the context of his decades of acquired football knowledge and many contacts in football which AVFC has not replaced.

In an RL environment where surely he needed help to find his feet, Steve would surely have been the ideal man. If not, someone else recruited who could provide a similar service.

The majority of Villa fans are happy to hear from him no mater what medium he uses. There will always be some people unhappy and this forum brings out the extremes on both sides.

Personally, I'm happy that he wants to keep the club lets hope he is proved correct with his faith in McLeish.

Mate, it's not that people are not happy to get communication but that there's a deep suspicion amongst more than a few that what is delivered is not getting to the heart of the matter.

Isn't the heart of the mater that we only have enough money to challenge for 7th under Lerner and he wants to stop around as owner?

What is the heart of the mater?

Yep, you do get the sense that when Lerner does talk, it's just enough to quiet the clamor at the gates...notice the timing as well-just prior to a very hard stretch of matches.

From outside of the business though, I don't see PF doing more or less than any Premier League CEO, and I for one would not be happy if we had some kind of "Celebrity" CEO.

You're probably right, but as a former long-standing business manager myself I don't have much faith in the 'professional manager' principle.

i.m.o. the football CEO job needs a hands-on approach with some nous - particularly as Villa's chairman is rarely to be found in the Midlands. Telephones and teleconferencing are sometimes poor alternatives.

Isn't the heart of the mater that we only have enough money to challenge for 7th under Lerner and he wants to stop around as owner?

What is the heart of the mater?

mater [ˈmeɪtə]

n

Brit public school slang a word for mother1: often used facetiously

[from Latin]

Quick question.

If lerner is such a good owner then why was alex mcleish the best manager to actually want to work for him?

1) I was of the impression the club chose the manager not the other way around

2) As much as AMcL isn't everyone's favourite, he does represent something and that is a shift of where we are right now and what we're looking to do. It is quite clear that we have had a change of fortunes financially and AMcL represents a very good manager for where we are right now. He's good at working on a shoestring, he's defensively at least quite good and he can do the wheeler dealing in such circumstances quite well, he's also quite diplomatic compared to either of the last two managers. He's a safe pair of hands for where we are right now. The fact that our current position is a scaling back of the original ambition that was held for the club under Lerner is an entirely different matter but that is what we have to accept as fans, unfortunately.

As much as AMcL isn't everyone's favourite, he does represent something and that is a shift of where we are right now and what we're looking to do. It is quite clear that we have had a change of fortunes financially and AMcL represents a very good manager for where we are right now. He's good at working on a shoestring, he's defensively at least quite good and he can do the wheeler dealing in such circumstances quite well, he's also quite diplomatic compared to either of the last two managers. He's a safe pair of hands for where we are right now. The fact that our current position is a scaling back of the original ambition that was held for the club under Lerner is an entirely different matter but that is what we have to accept as fans, unfortunately.

I think that is a fair arguement for appointing a manager.

Unfortunately, as a man who has been relegated twice in circumstances where he's worked in similar conditions to what is his now, and our scaling back, along with the results he's scraped together so far, the idea that he's 'a very good manager for where we are', 'good at working on a shoestring' and a good 'wheeler dealer' is sadly not true.

I haven't really seen a good argument why we should all be happy with Lerner and why we should have faith in him for the future.

The main points of defending him seem to be

1) we all make mistakes

2) the grass isn't always greener

3) he has good intentions.

Not a great list really.

Why shouldn't we be happy, what is really that wrong, I mean really?

As only really a select few clubs can win the league, should all other fans be un happy and hate their owners?

Villa fans the football experts they are seem to know how to run a football club and just say that he should be making more money is infact how easy it is.

That a long with some sort of bizare hatred of PF as some sort of pantomime villain.

Oh and banging on about doug.

From outside of the business though, I don't see PF doing more or less than any Premier League CEO, and I for one would not be happy if we had some kind of "Celebrity" CEO.

You're probably right, but as a former long-standing business manager myself I don't have much faith in the 'professional manager' principle.

i.m.o. the football CEO job needs a hands-on approach with some nous - particularly as Villa's chairman is rarely to be found in the Midlands. Telephones and teleconferencing are sometimes poor alternatives.

I'm sorry, but football has changed massively, and anyone investing upwards of £100M has a right to run the club as a business. The days of trading payers for lawn mowers are well gone.

Are you saying the problem is with the CEO or the chairman ? I would expect the chairmen and CEO are prefectly able to communicate via teleconferencing or Skype, thisis part of modern day business.

Â