The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I've sent PMs to those who requested. There is a Rinder quote in there:

Almost quaintly in an age of profiteering from football, he quotes Frederick Rinder, the chairman from 1898 to 1925 who saw Villa as a flagship of the Midlands community: “Finance is important but we must never forget that we are not talking about a mere business.”

Perhaps instead of bleating like a stuck record on this thread about everything that is wrong you would outline your vision for what the club should do going forward.

Just a thought.........

He has numerous times like many others:

- Decent board with an experienced CEO (£100m t/o niche consumer/sports business) and someone with football knowledge

- Decent managerial appointment i.e. someone who will give the fans some hope

- A cohesive PR strategy

- No sudden U-turn on policies that leaves us short of players

Okay for you?

- please provide a short list of decent candidates for CEO

- please provide examples of 'decent' managers who would 'give the fans some hope'

- what is a 'cohesive PR strategy', and what is uncohesive about the current 'strategy', given that we have had more and much broader information from the club in the past 5 years than we had in the previous 50?

- what 'sudden U-turn'?

Interesting stuff coming out of the Man City losses.

A loss on such record-breaking scale raises immediate concerns about whether City have any chance of complying with Uefa's "financial fair play" rules, which will apply to clubs in European competitions from the 2014-15 season. Uefa will analyse top clubs' accounts for the three years before that, starting with the current 2011-12 financial year, and the rules allow clubs to lose just €45m (£38.5m) in total over those three years. Uefa's rationale is that such subsidised overspending is relentlessly inflating players' wages throughout European football, which has driven clubs insolvent.

City acknowledged the looming enforcement of financial fair play when releasing their figures, restating that despite this record loss close, they will attempt to comply. Graham Wallace, the club's chief operating office, said the 2010-11 financial year, in which those signings of top players added to the mountainous wage bill already accumulated, will be City's worst.

"Our losses, which we predicted as part of our accelerated investment strategy, will not be repeated on this scale in the future," Wallace promised. "These financial results represent the bottoming out of financial losses at Manchester City before the club is able to move towards a more sustainable position in all aspects of its operations in the years ahead.

"As we undertake the club's commercial transformation, we are cognisant of the incoming Uefa financial fair play regulations and consequently we continue to maintain positive and ongoing dialogue with all appropriate football authorities."

City are confident that with income having risen 22.5% to £153m during 2010-11, the boost of Champions League football, increased TV and commercial earnings from being successful, the £350m 10-year shirt sponsorship and stadium naming rights deal with Etihad airline and the shedding of players no longer part of Mancini's plans, will draw income and spending closer together. They hope to show Uefa a "trend" towards breaking even by 2014-15 even if the losses have not been sufficiently staunched.

Man City losses

You're allowed a total of 38.5M of losses in TOTAL over the next few seasons, but it seems Man City will try to get around this by showing a "trend" of heading to break even.

In terms of Villa:

If we were to be taken over now and then spent huge amounts - in the next three seasons would we have the time to build up the losses, but then reverse them again in order to show that we're working towards breaking even?

You don't need to be the worlds perfect owner to not employ houllier and then mcleish after you **** it up with a good manager.

But we shouldn't complain because we're not leeds and randy cares.

We had our best season in years, he employed a manager that pretty much destroyed all the good things about the team he inherited. Then working for lerner was seen as such a good job that roberto martinez would rather battle relegation than even talk to us about the job. Lerners vast knowledge led him to invite mclaren for an interview before actually listening to fans but then it seems all he could attract was a man who relegated our rivals twice in 3 years.

That would be bad enough if it wasn't for the fact he seems to make the wrong decisions for his other team which kind of ruins this nice theory that he'll learn from his mistakes.

We have a man who inherited all his money so theres not much chance of him having great ideas on how to increase our income so if we need to live within our means and focus on youth players then he has to get the right manager and so far i think hes **** it up.

Houllier may have had great plans for the future but he was useless at working with what he had and i doubt he had the ability to actually see his plan out. And now mcleish may be good at working with what he has got but i don't see the evidence to suggest he'll be able to plan and build for the future.

So like i said i think we'll once again be a midtable nothing team but now its not doug its acceptable and we should all be grateful for it.

Thanks randy.

That interview says nothing at all really, other than "at least we're not Leeds", which is a statement that Uncle Doug used to get a lot of stick for.

What do you want it to say Risso?

What on earth do people really think hes going to tell us/should tell us?

I've sent PMs to those who requested. There is a Rinder quote in there:

Almost quaintly in an age of profiteering from football, he quotes Frederick Rinder, the chairman from 1898 to 1925 who saw Villa as a flagship of the Midlands community: “Finance is important but we must never forget that we are not talking about a mere business.”

That's great, Coda, many thanks! :)

So like i said i think we'll once again be a midtable nothing team but now its not doug its acceptable and we should all be grateful for it.

Thanks randy.

Run along and support Man City then, because your **** tedious now, you think our owner is shit because he does this this and this, but he wasn't shit when spending shit loads and employing a manager that would would only take the job if shit loads was spent.

Boring.

Why is Doug still being talked about, football was an entirely different world back then?

Imagine if Randy sold to someone and they asset stripped us and threatened the existence of the club, would you be more happy then or now?

The grass is not always greener and if you cannot support or enjoy a club that is not just about spending shit loads then god knows why you even follow football.

As i think there are more teams and supporters not going to win or be able to spend money than not..

What suckers hey, why is every single fan at every single club depressed or pissing and moaning thinking they can do better?

That interview says nothing at all really, other than "at least we're not Leeds", which is a statement that Uncle Doug used to get a lot of stick for.

Just about to say the same!

And?

Villa fans are obsessed with that quote and Doug, wheel it out whenever shit loads of money is not being spent.

Bastards.

But we shouldn't complain because we're not leeds

This whole Leeds thing is so boring and typical of an over exaggerated view point. Its not that were not Leeds its actually that we arent at least 80 of the entire english football league.

We have a man who inherited all his money so theres not much chance of him having great ideas on how to increase our income.

An incredibly narrow minded view point and one with no real credence.

And?

Villa fans are obsessed with that quote and Doug, wheel it out whenever shit loads of money is not being spent.

Bastards.

Because that interview could easily be something from Doug. Anybody who is happy sat mid table has zero ambition. Don't worry though, Randy probably has a helicopter on his list next.

Crazy how Doug can rightly get so much stick yet Randy with some carefully placed words can be called a saviour.

Wow.

And?

Bastards.

Because that interview could easily be something from Doug. Anybody who is happy sat mid table has zero ambition. Don't worry though, Randy probably has a helicopter on his list next.

Crazy how Doug can rightly get so much stick yet Randy with some carefully placed words can be called a saviour.

Wow.

And?

Who cares about Doug.

Was football the same as it is now under Doug. Yes or No?

So if Randy got rid of his tattoo and spent all his money on the club he would he alright?

How about if he just threatened the existence of the club sold everything, take take take.

Would he be a bastard then like he is now?

:lol:

Because that interview could easily be something from Doug. Anybody who is happy sat mid table has zero ambition...

Where does Randy say he is happy with midtable?

Furthermore taking your statement of being happy in midtable means zero ambition let me say this I would love to be a millionaire, I am happy with how my life is but that does not mean I do not have the ambition to become a millionaire because I do.

You don't need to be the worlds perfect owner to not employ houllier and then mcleish after you **** it up with a good manager.

That's where opinions differ, because there or those who think that the 'good manager' was the most tactically inept and useless manager going.

But I am sure that he will get a job at a top 4 club soon. Motherwell or Portadown should be willing to give him a try

:winkold:

I genuinely still have no idea what everyones whinging about.

Simple, exactly!

Its really not that bad, we're trying to be a club run properly and be a team in the top flight.

We're not going to win the league or get into the champions league, we're not going to go out of existence, like a hell of a lot of other clubs we're just there... Really is nothing wrong with that.

Fans are obsessed with money and then in the same breath complaining its ruining the game, fans being obsessed with money and whether their club is spending is ruining the game!

Â