The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think the fans are part of the reason, we are not a draw as we get crap attendances and spend half our time booing our own team. So we don't get the sponsorship etc required to compete.

Pathetic. The club treats fans as customers, they should hardly be shocked when fans act like customers who have just spent a fortune to watch shite.

Attendances have gone down because the standard of football has gone down. It works both ways. Oh the WBA album had a good atmosphere? Was that because we were scoring goals and were playing half decent football for the first time in god knows how long. Our home record must be the worst in the Premier League over the past 4 years. You can't expect everyone to be happy to pay for that. It's not the fans fault the club has been totally mismanaged.

There is always a reason or other, as said above we weren't exactly attracting the numbers under MON either and crap football hasn't stopped other clubs getting better attendance.

Money has to come from somewhere...

I wonder...

That old saying....no smoke without fire...

and before that:

Re press reports today,every club is for sale.... So #AVFC wouldn't be a surprise....Wish I knew what's going on....if anything actually is!

isn't Taylor supposedly our club ambassador, or isn't he anymore?

Randy used to be a sterling billionaire, he isn't any more. He has seen almost half his fortune disappear since he bought Villa and has recouped some of that deficit with the sale of Browns. He's still rich, but he's also older, sadder and probably a little bit wiser. We need to take this into account when we discuss our current expectations of RL.

Randy used to be a sterling billionaire, he isn't any more. He has seen almost half his fortune disappear since he bought Villa and has recouped some of that deficit with the sale of Browns. He's still rich, but he's also older, sadder and probably a little bit wiser. We need to take this into account when we discuss our current expectations of RL.

His Net worth in 2013 was £1.1Bn, after the Browns sale, I'd say he is very much a sterling Billionaire again.

There is always a reason or other, as said above we weren't exactly attracting the numbers under MON either and crap football hasn't stopped other clubs getting better attendance.

Wrong. Our attendances grew under MON to near sell outs every game and would have increased further if we had developed a more attractive playing style at home.

Wrong. Our attendances grew under MON to near sell outs every game and would have increased further if we had developed a more attractive playing style at home.

36000, hardly amazing!!

His Net worth in 2013 was £1.1Bn, after the Browns sale, I'd say he is very much a sterling Billionaire again.

1 Billion according to the Birmingham Mail January 2014 (down 100 million from last year), but if you take into account an approximate 200 million valuation for AVFC, that would leave him with approx 800 million other capital. Still a large amount, but not at all comfortable in comparison to his pre Villa financial status. The Lerner family trust may be larger, but he would be a mug to gamble large slices of it in the Premiership lottery (imo).

36000, hardly amazing!!

It was more 38/39k virtually every game under MON post 2007.

They show as 36k but maybe that's all comps. Again we have one of the cheapest tickets too, so not making the sums that say many London clubs are making.

Premiership matches were around 38k to 39k. Considering the brand of football that we served up, it was excellent and could have been increased further.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

I just don't think he put the money in as some sort of heroic gesture because of how much he loves us.

And neither will anybody else !!!

We will still only get investment that matches our 'true' position - whatever that is.

What if it turns out that the new owners also feel only able to afford wages that result in another Holt, more loans etc ?  Those of you who desparately want a new owner could well be back all ovwer again a bit further down the line wit hthe same problem..or worse, one where we have a few years of overspend and bust ......slightly too low and you will all be on their back.too high and we will go bust.......

It isn't that I am Pro or anti RL, I just think maybe people could do with remembering the old days when you just supported - or not - what you had (like many thousands of fans of lower League Clubs still do) and didn't spend your lives wanting something else.

• Like 3

My worry is that he doesn't want to "cut his losses"

He's after every penny back that he's ploughed in.

This will price us out of potential deals

Surely he must have made big profits this year and last with the new tv deal and low turnover.

I understand why fans would be worried about crazy owners taking over like Tan or Venkys. But what fans need to realise is we are much bigger than the clubs these owners have bought.

For someone to buy Villa they are going to have some serious financial clout and really mean business. The UK's second city has so much potential.

• Like 1

They show as 36k but maybe that's all comps. Again we have one of the cheapest tickets too, so not making the sums that say many London clubs are making.

Talk of attendances is a nonsense in cash terms anyway.

If you had a 60,000 stadium with a flat rate of £50 a ticket, that would give you £3m per home game (if you assume that catering / programme sales offset other costs such as power, staff etc).

Over the course of a Premier League season you'd generate £57m in gate receipts.  Or Suarez and Andy Carroll (at the time) without signing on fees, agents fees or wages.

Kit deals are generally minimal.  At c. £3.5m per year we're far ahead of where we could be for a club with our level of success.  That kit deal covers Gabby's wages.

Shirt sponsor?  Where are we at with that?  £1m a year?  That's Weimann paid for then.

TV money is where it's at, and even then you can't genuinely compete based off that alone.  You need massive investment from outside, and then the success that comes with it helps to generate cash for the future.  I believe that's what Randy aimed to do when he bought the club.

But if Lerner genuinely thought he could throw £100m or so at player transfers and then sit back and watch us be self-sufficient in the Champions League he was at best naïve and at worst stupid.

Let's give it one last shot of perspective.  If the stadium held 100,000 people and tickets were a flat £50, we'd generate £95m in gate receipts per season.  Manchester City spent more than that on players this summer alone.

• Like 3

36000, hardly amazing!!

Not sure where you've got that figure from, it's way out.

We averaged over 40k MON's first top 6 finish

Averaged 39.8k the second top 6 finish

Dropped to 38.5k the third top 6 finish

Averages out at nearly 39,500.

• Like 4

I think Lerner will attach some conditions to the sale, like no name change, no colors change, etc. "Stewardship", and all...

Yeah I think he'd do that too. I don't dislike the bloke at all, I think  as a chairman he genuinely has had the clubs best interests at heart. He's just made some awful mistakes and had to learn some things the hard way. I imagine he himself now knows he's not up to the job of owning a Premier League team. 

Talk of attendances is a nonsense in cash terms anyway.

If you had a 60,000 stadium with a flat rate of £50 a ticket, that would give you £3m per home game (if you assume that catering / programme sales offset other costs such as power, staff etc).

Over the course of a Premier League season you'd generate £57m in gate receipts.  Or Suarez and Andy Carroll (at the time) without signing on fees, agents fees or wages.

Kit deals are generally minimal.  At c. £3.5m per year we're far ahead of where we could be for a club with our level of success.  That kit deal covers Gabby's wages.

Shirt sponsor?  Where are we at with that?  £1m a year?  That's Weimann paid for then.

TV money is where it's at, and even then you can't genuinely compete based off that alone.  You need massive investment from outside, and then the success that comes with it helps to generate cash for the future.  I believe that's what Randy aimed to do when he bought the club.

But if Lerner genuinely thought he could throw £100m or so at player transfers and then sit back and watch us be self-sufficient in the Champions League he was at best naïve and at worst stupid.

Let's give it one last shot of perspective.  If the stadium held 100,000 people and tickets were a flat £50, we'd generate £95m in gate receipts per season.  Manchester City spent more than that on players this summer alone.

Another great example of where Lerner went badly wrong.

Â