The Randy Lerner thread

CI

We had more fan to owner communication than any team in the league.........through the General.

More like fan to Nicky Keye!

In retrospect all the big words that ever came from the General about the so-called "bright future" just look like propaganda and lies. We are currently travelling at the speed of light in the direction of nowhere. Our only ambition seems to be mediocrity. We have been defeated and deflated.

I used to hold principles about not "buying" trophies etc etc, but I've given up. I want us to win something and that means we need an owner who is willing and able to spend a lot more money than Randy Lerner ever will be.

Unfortunately, and I doubt whether anyone thought it at the time, including me, the worst thing that happened to Randy Lerner and Aston Villa was Martin O'Neill. Had a manager with some tactical nous been appointed, someone who was more capable in the transfer market, particularly given the riches afforded to him, we would probably be in a totally different position now. And for that Randy Lerner would still be lauded by the faithful.

So a bad businessman he may be, but his worst decision, rubber stamping the appointment of his first manager, is one that we would all have taken.

So we are all bad businessmen.

I think the worse/bad decision(s) was when MON left; selling Milner, buying Ireland and appointing Houllier.

Buying Ireland and appointing Houllier were certainly bad decisions, but they came after the aforementioned worst decision.

With regards to the sale of Milner, and for that matter Barry, Young and Downing, too many supporters believe that the club have any say in the matter. They don't. The players have all of the power in the modern game.

Unfortunately, and I doubt whether anyone thought it at the time, including me, the worst thing that happened to Randy Lerner and Aston Villa was Martin O'Neill. Had a manager with some tactical nous been appointed, someone who was more capable in the transfer market, particularly given the riches afforded to him, we would probably be in a totally different position now. And for that Randy Lerner would still be lauded by the faithful.

So a bad businessman he may be, but his worst decision, rubber stamping the appointment of his first manager, is one that we would all have taken.

I think the worse/bad decision(s) was when MON left; selling Milner, buying Ireland and appointing Houllier.

Buying Ireland and appointing Houllier were certainly bad decisions, but they came after the aforementioned worst decision.

With regards to the sale of Milner, and for that matter Barry, Young and Downing, too many supporters believe that the club have any say in the matter. They don't. The players have all of the power in the modern game.

I can see the argument for MON being a terrible decision; but I would argue that Villa were on the rise until he left. If we had decided to ‘poach’ a manager and back him we would be looking at a different situation now. Nothing about the Milner sale was defined; the club sold him because they believed they had to honour a deal. As you saw Milner would have continued to play for Aston Villa as he didn’t look like he couldn’t be bothered against West Ham. Appoint a great manager at this point and all would have been different....

A few good points made on both sides here. The appointment of MON was not his biggest mistake it was not having anyone else within the club with a footballing background who could have acted as a bit of a 'backstop' to MONs laisse-faire attitude to money (he did have Steve Stride and let him go)

The decision to work within our means would be laudable if it was a planned strategy for future success, rather than an emergency response to the fact that Lerner completely lost control of the finances at the club, such that there is now seemingly no way back.

Risso hits nail on head with this point, it's seems to be we are in a Corporal Jones situation 'don't panic, don't panic' when all the time the actions are of panic.

The point about players having the power is in someway relevant but again the 'club' indicated they wanted to keep Downing, Milner and Young which be default would have meant finding more wages forthem. As they have all left where would that money have come from, or do the club accept by lettingthem go that impacted on income?

We can all ask a lot of questions but there are no answers and this is where I feel the local pressmen should be making some noises to get some.

As I said John people can't be arsed, for many reasons, the ones you allude are also a factor but many are just tired of it all.

Agreed ... certainly the old hands are. But you'd think that there is spirit in the younger generations if it gets bad enough.

If what gets bad enough?

What are we supposed to be protesting about?

Bad Results? Player/Manager comings and Goings? Tactics we don't agree with? Its Football

Tom, read the previous page and you will find it was a seemingly sarky comment by MCTW talking about why there are no protests and consistency. I don't think anyone really said we should be.........yet!

And after today's better performance this is exactly why it hasn't got to the organised protest stage. A certain amount of time has to be given to see what transpires.

It's now up to the team to take what they've learnt from today and start moving into gear. Perhaps Jenas will make the difference (I hope so!), but if it wasn't for the surprising improvement by Gabby this season, and Bent now having re-found where the goalposts are, where would we be? Perhaps the midfield is in the course of being corrected, but there's summat wrong in defence i.m.o.

If Villa's results and level of performance do improve from hereon in then that might (just might) cover the communications cracks and other gaffs that have occurred in the last couple of years.

I hope so. As Lancs rightly said, there are a lot of fans that feel emotionally connected with Aston Villa and the tradition of the Villa means that the club is virtually obligated to ensure that our pride is not allowed to seep away.

Results is all that matters and will hide absolutely anything. If we are winning getting points no problems BUT we are doing OK at the moment but managing to hold out to Norwich with the Sky mob to come in the next month or so lets just hope they keep it up.

Agree 100%

Agree 100%

disagree 100%.

The point about RL appointing MON and that being his biggest mistake has some merit. That said, name MON's three most expensive signing?

Yes, we all know who they are.

Bought for roughly £30 million, sold for roughly £60 million after years and years of combined top class performances.

Only MON knows why he bought all these poxy players on disgustingly high wages and yet never had any intention of even playing them in the team!

Sidwell, Beye, Davies etc

The point about RL appointing MON and that being his biggest mistake has some merit. That said, name MON's three most expensive signing?

Yes, we all know who they are.

Bought for roughly £30 million, sold for roughly £60 million after years and years of combined top class performances.

Only MON knows why he bought all these poxy players on disgustingly high wages and yet never had any intention of even playing them in the team!

Sidwell, Beye, Davies etc

Randy Lerner did not appoint Martin O'Neill, he inherited him. A parting gift from Deadly....

Â