The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Say if someone came in with a bid of 30m for Benteke in January. Now i wouldn't want to see him go as he is a fabulous player whom some cretin likened to Balaban :blush: but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Lerner sanctioned the sale and gave Lambert half of the proceeds to get someone else in on the basis of well you got Benteke for 5m-7m so do it again and use the rest for an AM.

I believe that PL was handed £7m for Benteke's replacement on the last transfer deadline day.

I think that PL likes to work ahead, and clearly the owner was prepared to back him in this instance.

Because you believe something, it does not make it real.

Secondly, I know more Spurs fans tthan I have pubes, my boss is one (a Spurs fan, not a pube) and he has mentioned a few times the investment they have had over a consistent period.

Say if someone came in with a bid of 30m for Benteke in January. Now i wouldn't want to see him go as he is a fabulous player whom some cretin likened to Balaban :blush: but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Lerner sanctioned the sale and gave Lambert half of the proceeds to get someone else in on the basis of well you got Benteke for 5m-7m so do it again and use the rest for an AM.

I believe that PL was handed £7m for Benteke's replacement on the last transfer deadline day.

I think that PL likes to work ahead, and clearly the owner was prepared to back him in this instance.

Secondly, I know more Spurs fans tthan I have pubes, my boss is one (a Spurs fan, not a pube) and he has mentioned a few times the investment they have had over a consistent period.

It was real that we signed a forward for £7m on deadline day, surely you remember that?

I sat with the Spurs fans when we beat them at WHL and they were on 2 points from their first so many matches, with our expensive players on wages that they couldn't match, so I remember it well. Lots of moaning from them then.

Absolutely and its just my opinion based on the current financial restrictions. 

When have spurs not been able to match us. Haven't they made more money than us for years?

They may have chose not to match us when we were letting our wage bill spiral out of control but I'd imagine they could have if that was their plan.

John, just a question

What would have happened when we were letting our wage bill spiral out of control....if we had of signed players of the quality of Sturridge, Suarez, lukaku, cabaye or Ben Haifa...that kinda of calibre. As opposed to the mediocre signings in the main that we did.

Interesting watching Everton tonight, particularly first half, considering the modest fee's they get involved with, very good play...Bill Kenwright is not exactly an Oligarch/Sheikh is he?

I know it's early but 4th ain't bad with a new manager and all.

Seems like us and albion can take some scalps with our modest buys....of course there are mitigating circumstances, but it can be done.

Edited by TRO

When have spurs not been able to match us. Haven't they made more money than us for years?

They may have chose not to match us when we were letting our wage bill spiral out of control but I'd imagine they could have if that was their plan.

They were more than likely able, but had (and may still have) a strict ceiling on what they would pay in wages. Arsenal have also practised the same model, which is why you will have heard plenty of moans from their support, even up until recently.

Certainly when we had the likes of Young, Heskey, Downing etc on big money, it was more than Spurs were prepared to pay players. I guess that Van der Vaart and Adebayor is when they started to stump up a bit more.

And that was from someone very close to the very top at Spurs

Historically clubs finish roughly in the league where their revenue suggests they should ours suggests mid table so guess where we should finish..... I go back to my original point no owner should have to fund a club and clubs should only spend what they receive

I don't remember too many hoping our new billionaire owner would never spend any of his own money when he first bought the club.

We have mid table revenue thanks to our owner and I'd be surprised if we haven't dropped lower when last seasons figures are released. And it's not like we're finishing mid table is it? The last two years have been the worst we've ever had in the premier league so we haven't even been able to manage what you say historically most clubs do.

We finished a couple of points off mid table...... also you are taking the message too literal like I said 8th place was 1m above 11th was 5m less. So the difference isn't massive especially if one of those clubs does have an owner who dips into his own pocket. You are also forgetting that when rebalancing the books in our case and I am looking at players we know have gone or are going in the summer to come that they have been like leaches on our finances (not blaming them for staying they have a contract and a right for that contract to be upheld) so once that is done the accepted logic is we can spend like the other teams around us revenue wise who don't spend above their own means for example Everton.

Secondly I don't give a toss what fans think he should spend his own personal money on it isn't their business if the club spends what it makes and he isn't taking money out of the club then they have sod all to moan about with regards to spending. If you want to criticize him then criticize the managerial appointments and the lack of preparedness when taking over the club by not bringing in industry experts to help run the club.

You say he has made us mid table revenue wise...... he hasn't that is where we were before.

Obviously we can only surmise what RL's long term plans are but it is a fair assumption given our spending under PL, that he has decided we must trade within our means. I believe he wants out but what would he have to sell for to avoid any losses?

With the extra SKY funding AVFC must now worth a lot, lot more than the £64 million he paid. If the club still owes him £100 million plus lots of interest, would any of the financially astute members like to hazard a guess as to what the club is now worth and what the club's value would need to be if RL wanted to sell and avoid losses? Would £200 million be about right? And are we worth that much?

time after time every report shows most of the money from these ever larger tv deals goes on players wages and therefore doesn't drastically affect the price of a club. e.g inter is for sale at the moment for 150m

time after time every report shows most of the money from these ever larger tv deals goes on players wages and therefore doesn't drastically affect the price of a club. e.g inter is for sale at the moment for 150m

Well that certainly isn't the case this year at Villa so this isn't really relevant.

Historically clubs finish roughly in the league where their revenue suggests they should ours suggests mid table so guess where we should finish..... I go back to my original point no owner should have to fund a club and clubs should only spend what they receive

I don't remember too many hoping our new billionaire owner would never spend any of his own money when he first bought the club.

We have mid table revenue thanks to our owner and I'd be surprised if we haven't dropped lower when last seasons figures are released. And it's not like we're finishing mid table is it? The last two years have been the worst we've ever had in the premier league so we haven't even been able to manage what you say historically most clubs do.

We finished a couple of points off mid table...... also you are taking the message too literal like I said 8th place was 1m above 11th was 5m less. So the difference isn't massive especially if one of those clubs does have an owner who dips into his own pocket. You are also forgetting that when rebalancing the books in our case and I am looking at players we know have gone or are going in the summer to come that they have been like leaches on our finances (not blaming them for staying they have a contract and a right for that contract to be upheld) so once that is done the accepted logic is we can spend like the other teams around us revenue wise who don't spend above their own means for example Everton.

Secondly I don't give a toss what fans think he should spend his own personal money on it isn't their business if the club spends what it makes and he isn't taking money out of the club then they have sod all to moan about with regards to spending. If you want to criticize him then criticize the managerial appointments and the lack of preparedness when taking over the club by not bringing in industry experts to help run the club.

You say he has made us mid table revenue wise...... he hasn't that is where we were before.

So when Lerner took over from Doug you didn't want him to spend any of his own money? I find that hard to believe.

And trust me there's plenty more reasons to dislike our owner, I agree completely with that.

They were more than likely able, but had (and may still have) a strict ceiling on what they would pay in wages. Arsenal have also practised the same model, which is why you will have heard plenty of moans from their support, even up until recently.

Certainly when we had the likes of Young, Heskey, Downing etc on big money, it was more than Spurs were prepared to pay players. I guess that Van der Vaart and Adebayor is when they started to stump up a bit more.

And that was from someone very close to the very top at Spurs

Spurs seemed to have a plan while we didn't. Also our awful managerial appointments made us waste even more money when we should have been sensibly replacing top players that were sold.

John, just a question

What would have happened when we were letting our wage bill spiral out of control....if we had of signed players of the quality of Sturridge, Suarez, lukaku, cabaye or Ben Haifa...that kinda of calibre. As opposed to the mediocre signings in the main that we did.

Milner, Young, Carew ?

You can't just pick the best players each club have signed. Liverpool have one the worst records - Carroll, Allen, Downing for a combined total of £70m  - the difference is they went on to sign Sturridge, Countinho for big money - where as at Aston Villa were are in the main buying div 3 players or european equivalents.

John, just a question

Milner, Young, Carew ?

You can't just pick the best players each club have signed. Liverpool have one the worst records - Carroll, Allen, Downing for a combined total of £70m  - the difference is they went on to sign Sturridge, Countinho for big money - where as at Aston Villa were are in the main buying div 3 players or european equivalents.

would you care to mention the other c 35 signings that was rubbish or mediocre...my point is/was is it the money spent that was the problem or the poor quality of the player bought that deprived us of enhanced revenue.

the other point smetrov is all clubs do sign poor players its just the better clubs sign less of them in terms of good to bad ratio.

we all have different views on players.

sure Ashley Young was a good player for us and exciting, but also could be hit and miss, could have grumpy games....rated as good as the likes of Yorke or Platt...no not for me.

The only player I really regretted leaving in recent times was Gareth Barry.... the rest Que sera sera.

.....yes including Milner.

• Like 2

Little bit i heard yesterday, lerner was in birmingham at the time of last weeks cup game with spurs, buy didnt bother attending the game, he was expected but disnt show, the word is that the guy has completely lost his interest in football.

The money city, spurs, liverpool ect have now pales us into insignificance in respect as to what lerner could do for us, he saw us becoming like man city are now when he came in, but the revolution at city and spurs put stops to it... As soon as the club is back in the black, i think he will be actively looking for a buyer.

If true the guy is a total disgrace. There's nothing worse than an absentee landlord, and with some of the decisions he has made since 2010, I don't think history will be too kind on this era of Villa's history. I remember this quote from the man himself back in 2006:

"There have been plenty of custodians of Aston Villa since 1874 and if I can’t make it work, I will do what the others did, move on and let someone else try". -

I hope he sells up soon. A manager of Paul Lambert's potential needs backing to build a squad to challenge for honours, not bumping along from year to year.

Â