Simon Dawkins

Kwan

I hope this isn't true

Funny story about Dawkins loan to Villa. Villa originally contacted San Jose as nobody realised Dawkins was contracted to us. They then contacted us and asked us for him on a real cheap loan (at this stage Dawkins was due to move back to San Jose permanently they even had interviews and press conferences complete! You can find these online im sure.) We worked everything out in about 45 minutes as it was against the clock and we were getting a 100k loan fee. After signing him one of their officials said they were ecstatic to get a young right winger to cover injured marc albrighton.Turns out Aston Villa signed Dawkins off of an internet scouting report! They had no idea he was 25, no idea he was actually a central midfielder and no idea he is left footed! This is why he got so little game time as they did not need a player in that position.

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/the-daily-itk-discussion-thread-the-bedknobs-broomsticks-edition-2nd-july-2013.98858/page-41

Common sense would suggest it isn't, especially as we know from signings like Westwood that Lambert scouts players extensively. Besides the point about cover for Albrighton is extremely unlikely.

I hope this isn't true

Funny story about Dawkins loan to Villa. Villa originally contacted San Jose as nobody realised Dawkins was contracted to us. They then contacted us and asked us for him on a real cheap loan (at this stage Dawkins was due to move back to San Jose permanently they even had interviews and press conferences complete! You can find these online im sure.) We worked everything out in about 45 minutes as it was against the clock and we were getting a 100k loan fee. After signing him one of their officials said they were ecstatic to get a young right winger to cover injured marc albrighton.Turns out Aston Villa signed Dawkins off of an internet scouting report! They had no idea he was 25, no idea he was actually a central midfielder and no idea he is left footed! This is why he got so little game time as they did not need a player in that position.

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/the-daily-itk-discussion-thread-the-bedknobs-broomsticks-edition-2nd-july-2013.98858/page-41

Ha I know someone who claims to be 'ITK' on that website... He isn't. At all. There isn't a rigorous interview process before the title is bestowed.

Even if £100k is a pittance for a Premiership side, you still don't spend that sum on a player whose age, preferred foot and club remain a mystery. Dawkins, the antithesis to our transfer policy? Or a spurs fan spouting shite on the internet?

A low-cost gamble that didn't pay off. Moving on...

pzc7VIa.png

Bebe, if you were wondering.

Yes, Ferguson infamously signed Bebe without seeing him play.

But they are still very different transfers. For one, the Dawkins transfer doesn't stink of corruption.

• Like 1

That can't be Bebe. He's being congratulated as if he's done something good.

Dawkins was a panic loan, there's no doubt about that. Realised we needed cover and got whoever was available quickly and without any negotiation.

It doesn't tie up with the first line though.. if we originally thought he was contracted to San Jose, then we wouldn't have been likely to be able to bang out a deal in 45 minutes. I think it's more likely we scanned through Spurs' surplus of midfielders for one who would be easily gettable, and maybe just hit gold that they're any good.

In fairness to Dawkins he didn't do a huge amount wrong. Couple of poor touches but generally when he was on the pitch he wasn't awful, made a couple of nice runs, I seem to remember he played a nice ball into Wiemann who should have scored. He's not Premiership quality though.

That can't be Bebe. He's being congratulated as if he's done something good.

Dawkins was a panic loan, there's no doubt about that. Realised we needed cover and got whoever was available quickly and without any negotiation.

It doesn't tie up with the first line though.. if we originally thought he was contracted to San Jose, then we wouldn't have been likely to be able to bang out a deal in 45 minutes. I think it's more likely we scanned through Spurs' surplus of midfielders for one who would be easily gettable, and maybe just hit gold that they're any good.

In fairness to Dawkins he didn't do a huge amount wrong. Couple of poor touches but generally when he was on the pitch he wasn't awful, made a couple of nice runs, I seem to remember he played a nice ball into Wiemann who should have scored. He's not Premiership quality though.

IMO Lambert doesn't seem to panic, while most were losing they're shit after a horrendous run of form, the man told us we'd be fine.  Most thought he was insane but turned out he was right and knew what he was doing.

Given the constraints on the wage bill at that time, i think it was a worthy punt but having seen him up close in training obviously decided he couldn't offer us anymore than what we'd already got.

• 8 years later...

Not as good as Gresford but still, he gets into any book about Villa players coz he actually played for Villa.

Sort of.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Â