Simon Dawkins

Kwan

True Stevo.  I wouldn't rule out us signing him, just because he's hardly kicked a ball for us doesn't mean that Lambert doesn't rate him for the long-term.  None of us know how he's done in training or what Lambert's plans are.

Exactly.

And if he is shit and he's let go in the summer, what have we lost?

6 months of wages, which I'm guessing for him would be... I dunno 200k? If that? It's peanuts, relatively speaking.

It's not like we signed the guy for a few million.

True Stevo.  I wouldn't rule out us signing him, just because he's hardly kicked a ball for us doesn't mean that Lambert doesn't rate him for the long-term.  None of us know how he's done in training or what Lambert's plans are.

Exactly.

6 months of wages, which I'm guessing for him would be... I dunno 200k? If that? It's peanuts, relatively speaking.

He's not a kid though. Would you really rather have him in than, say, Carruthers or Grealish? I'd be up for strengthening in the winger/wide forward position but it should be someone good not just someone for the sake of it. 

maybe a long shot but he could be that he out of contract that Lambert is hiding him until next season and we will nab him on a free as nobody will have seen him.

as said could be a long shot :P

If we were comfortably squandering around in mid table, then perhaps. But if he was going to be any help to the cause, then he would have been playing for the first team..

Exactly.

He's not a kid though. Would you really rather have him in than, say, Carruthers or Grealish? I'd be up for strengthening in the winger/wide forward position but it should be someone good not just someone for the sake of it. 

Absolutely.

I'm not trying to say he was a good signing.

I'm just saying if he doesn't improve and he's let go it isn't a terrible signing because he's barely cost us anything.

Yeah Dawkins was there as backup but we shouldn't be signing him as a squad player as he won't help us push up the table next season. Be a waste of wages signing him when we've got Graham and Grealish who can sit on the bench instead next season and eventually make an impact.

Like someone said earlier, Dawkins was clearly backup player and extended trial to see if he's good enough - he didn't do too badly against West Ham but was anonymous against Wigan yesterday but we can get someone better and he'd hinder the progress of our own youngsters.

He'll probably go back to MLS.

What I dont get, is that if he dos go, which looks ost likley, why was he on the bench yesterday all of a sudden, and then chosen for some game time in a larley nothing game ahead of Gardner or Herd. Both of whom I thought deserved a little run out to reward them for their fight against thier personal injuries.

Most teams played a few randoms kids yesterday to reward them for their hard work in the reserves, we played a guy who will probably fly back to the USA in a few weeks?

Makes we wonder if he will stay?

I'm not being biused to the comments shown above but the fact he's 25 and has had trials with RC Strasborg and Bournemouth pretty much says it all. Not saying he's that standard of player because clearly if he was we wouldn't have signed him.

I just think that i'd rather play carruthers or graham burke and save ourselves the wages (Even if it is peanuts). Fair play to him for giving it a try and no doubt he'll do a job at another championship/league one club if we don't take him on.

On another note... I'd prefer to see us use our wages on someone like Andros Townsend on a long season loan rather than a permanent deal for Dawkins. That's if AVB doesn't use him which i doubt wil happen as i've seen AVB rotating players since hes been at spurs.

if we did sign him, what sort of fee would we be looking at? would it be worth it?

he may of been ok in training, and hes probably a sound guy, but id prefer to see a youth step up (like grealish) to take that spot in the first team, so the kid can develop more, players like dawkins will only hinder trainees progression as hes a fringe player

I'm not being biused to the comments shown above but the fact he's 25 and has had trials with RC Strasborg and Bournemouth pretty much says it all. Not saying he's that standard of player because clearly if he was we wouldn't have signed him.

I just think that i'd rather play carruthers or graham burke and save ourselves the wages (Even if it is peanuts). Fair play to him for giving it a try and no doubt he'll do a job at another championship/league one club if we don't take him on.

On another note... I'd prefer to see us use our wages on someone like Andros Townsend on a long season loan rather than a permanent deal for Dawkins. That's if AVB doesn't use him which i doubt wil happen as i've seen AVB rotating players since hes been at spurs.

Yes I like Townsend but only if we buy him. I don't think we should be looking at loan signings myself

Lambo took a punt, didn't fulfill, doubt we will be signing him but I wish him all the best and hope he succeeds at his next club. Still can't believe he hasn't played a single game for Tottenham, poor guy.

• 1 month later...

I hope this isn't true

Funny story about Dawkins loan to Villa. Villa originally contacted San Jose as nobody realised Dawkins was contracted to us. They then contacted us and asked us for him on a real cheap loan (at this stage Dawkins was due to move back to San Jose permanently they even had interviews and press conferences complete! You can find these online im sure.) We worked everything out in about 45 minutes as it was against the clock and we were getting a 100k loan fee. After signing him one of their officials said they were ecstatic to get a young right winger to cover injured marc albrighton.Turns out Aston Villa signed Dawkins off of an internet scouting report! They had no idea he was 25, no idea he was actually a central midfielder and no idea he is left footed! This is why he got so little game time as they did not need a player in that position.

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/the-daily-itk-discussion-thread-the-bedknobs-broomsticks-edition-2nd-july-2013.98858/page-41

I hope this isn't true

Funny story about Dawkins loan to Villa. Villa originally contacted San Jose as nobody realised Dawkins was contracted to us. They then contacted us and asked us for him on a real cheap loan (at this stage Dawkins was due to move back to San Jose permanently they even had interviews and press conferences complete! You can find these online im sure.) We worked everything out in about 45 minutes as it was against the clock and we were getting a 100k loan fee. After signing him one of their officials said they were ecstatic to get a young right winger to cover injured marc albrighton.Turns out Aston Villa signed Dawkins off of an internet scouting report! They had no idea he was 25, no idea he was actually a central midfielder and no idea he is left footed! This is why he got so little game time as they did not need a player in that position.

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/the-daily-itk-discussion-thread-the-bedknobs-broomsticks-edition-2nd-july-2013.98858/page-41

Why would we get someone to 'cover' Albrighton? He was nowhere near first choice even when fit.

Exactly.

You have to factor in his failure compared to the fact that we could have gotten another player instead of him. People always say that cheap players have no risk, but I beg to differ. We were close to relegation all season and another player could have gone straight into the team and made it better. We didn't relegate and were safe before the last game of the season, but it would only take an injury to Benteke in March to royally **** us over...

Â