Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I've been banging on for some considerable time now about Lambert not purchasing quality Premiership experience first, to compliment the young players we had already coming through but i wouldn't advocate bringing too many 30+ pros to the club. Berbatov, if it ever was possible, would have been my choice in the 30+ range to supply either Bent or Benteke if Lambert still insisted on playing with a narrow midfield. I would have liked to see more of the 24-28 players coming to us but i realize that would have been expensive in fees and wages, although Diame was available on a free.

There has also been one question bugging me since Lambert unveiled his first transfers for the club. Can a club like ours build a young team within the rigours of the Premiership and expect to stay up?

You could say Ferguson did it but how often do Players such as Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and the Nevile brothers come through all at once? Harry Redknapp's West Ham also brought through several of their younger players but probably not to the extreme that Lambert is trying to implement. Arsenal have introduced several 'home grown' players into their first team but that has been a gradual progression.

I suppose it's a question of time and patience but i tend to think that this season, it has been a question of balance between starting to revolutionize the club while also trying to secure our Premiership status. I'm still not sure whether Lambert has got that balance right but he has one more chance in January.

I've been banging on for so considerable time now about Lambert not purchasing quality Premiership experience first, to compliment the young players we had already coming through but i wouldn't advocate bringing too many 30+ pros to the club. Berbatov, if it ever was possible, would have been my choice in the 30+ range to supply either Bent or Benteke if Lambert still insisted on playing with a narrow midfield. I would have liked to see more of the 24-28 players coming to us but i realize that would have been expensive in fees and wages.

There has also been one question bugging me since Lambert unvelled his first transfers for the club. Can a club like ours build a young team within the rigours of the Premiership and expect to stay up?

You could say Ferguson did it but how often do Players such as Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and the Neviles come through all at once? Harry Redknapp's West Ham also brought through several of their younger players but probably not to the extreme that Lambert is trying to implement. Arsenal have introduced several 'home grown' players into their first team but that has been a gradual progression.

I suppose it's a question of time and patience but i tend to think that this season, it has been a question of balance between starting to revolutionize the club while also trying to secure our Premiership status. I'm still not sure whether Lambert has got that balance right but he has one more chance in January.

Several problems with your logic

1) Our own "young players" aren't up to the job. Albrighton has totally lost the plot, Weimman, Fonz and Baker will never be PL regular players at any club. The only two I have hope for are Herd and Clark. Gabby has been terrible for 2 seasons (not that he's all that young now)

2) We were never ever ever ever ever going to bring in established PL players who would want a **** ton of money in wages. PLEASE stop going on about Berbatov, we've got one lazy clearing in the woods leading the line - we don't need a second. I will happily have a bet with you now that come Christmas Berbatov will have got comfy at Fulham and won't be performing anywhere near the level he is now. Berbatov has also hardly been a creative force thru his career has he? He has a few nice touches but doens't "create" in the sense that Mata/Silva/Cazorla/Bale create play.

3) As for Lambert using hungry experience.... great I'm 100% behind it - even if we play shit and lose. The "experienced" pro's had their shots under GH and McLeish. They pretty much let us down to a man. Lets try something new that may benefit the club in years to come.

Lambert should take Malouda on loan to the end of the season when window opens again. Bit of experience on high wages but only for 5 months. Training with the Chelsea youth at the minute. He couldnt have went that badly of the boil. Chelsea might only want to sell thought, then i wouldnt touch him.

100% behind it even if we play shit and lose?

Seems very strange.

It's utterly bonkers. Lambert can thank his lucky stars that he's following on from the most unpopular Villa manager ever, because it's hiding his crap performance to date. He spent his money badly in the summer, and the football has been mostly a load of crap since.

It's utterly bonkers. Lambert can thank his lucky stars that he's following on from the most unpopular Villa manager ever, because it's hiding his crap performance to date. He spent his money badly in the summer, and the football has been mostly a load of crap since.

Doesn't mean I WANT that to happen, but you learn more from poor performance than you do from pissing every game 5-0. Lambert will get it right, the team will sort itself out and will get better as we go along. Its not going to be a pretty season but we are starting from such a low ebb. Dumping Lambert within the next 3 years, regardless of results will do this club no favours at all.

Very true. The levels of hypocrisy in some comments are laughable, especially when people say Lambert should be backed even if he relegates us. McShite didn't do it and he had much less resources than Lambert. If we go down this season it'd be 100% on Lambert. That said, I doubt it, cause I believe he can become the good manager that people think he already is.

Several problems with your logic

1) Our own "young players" aren't up to the job. Albrighton has totally lost the plot, Weimman, Fonz and Baker will never be PL regular players at any club. The only two I have hope for are Herd and Clark. Gabby has been terrible for 2 seasons (not that he's all that young now)

2) We were never ever ever ever ever going to bring in established PL players who would want a **** ton of money in wages. PLEASE stop going on about Berbatov, we've got one lazy clearing in the woods leading the line - we don't need a second. I will happily have aiii bet with you now that come Christmas Berbatov will have got comfy at Fulham and won't be performing anywhere near the level he is now. Berbatov has also hardly been a creative force thru his career has he? He has a few nice touches but doens't "create" in the sense that Mata/Silva/Cazorla/Bale create play.

3) As for Lambert using hungry experience.... great I'm 100% behind it - even if we play shit and lose. The "experienced" pro's had their shots under GH and McLeish. They pretty much let us down to a man. Lets try something new that may benefit the club in years to come.

Edit.

We don't necessarily need to buy experience in January we need quality, and we don't necessarily have to look in the Premier League to get that. Unlike previous Villa managers Lambert has actually shown a willingness to look abroad so hopefully that combined with our new chief scout could mean we get to see some decent players coming in in January but not over-priced, over-rated "experience" from the Premier League.

We don't necessarily need to buy experience in January we need quality, and we don't necessarily have to look in the Premier League to get that. Unlike previous Villa managers Lambert has actually shown a willingness to look abroad so hopefully that combined with our new chief scout could mean we get to see some decent players coming in in January but not over-priced, over-rated "experience" from the Premier League.

100% agree.

We also need to make sure that lambert is allowed to offer wages to attract the right quality.

Very true. The levels of hypocrisy in some comments are laughable, especially when people say Lambert should be backed even if he relegates us. McShite didn't do it and he had much less resources than Lambert. If we go down this season it'd be 100% on Lambert. That said, I doubt it, cause I believe he can become the good manager that people think he already is.

The use of the word "hypocrisy" here troubles me greatly...... where have I been hypocritical?

Well, if we can shift Warnock, Hutton and Given off the wagebill we'd free up 100k+.

Surely we shouldn't have to clear those first though.

Our wage bill must be low right now and we are in desperate need of quality.

I'd also be very surprised if we can shift given.

Maybe not, but it would certainly help. Dunne will also be gone in the summer so that's probably a good 175k+ we've got on the bench/in the reserves/out on loan/injured. Ridiculous really, but that's the situation Lambert inherited. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if our fully fit first 11 combined is on a lot less than the rest of the squad.

Still clinging to the logic that if McLeish couldn't manage to take us down, Lambert won't.

We will need to invest in January though.

We were tougher to beat last season so we regularly picked up points, particularly in the first half of the season with Petrov controlling the midfield and Gabby and Bent up front together.

We had a dire run in the second half of the season with injuries to important players (Petrov, Bent, Dunne) and have not improved since then.

Our current squad only has a hand full of permier league caps between them and so we are basically one of the promoted teams this season. It will be a fight with the other promoted teams and wigan/QPR to avoid the drop.

The main criticism I have is the approach he has taken to some experienced players like Ireland and Bent. We are struggling to score goals and pickup points and it is the managers responsibility to utilise a system that plays to the strengths of our best players. Bent is a goal poacher who IMO must play. Other managers at other clubs have played systems and got results with him in their team. I struggle with the love-in for Gabby.