Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Interesting how relatively quiet this thread has been almost a full day since our game ;)

95 posts since the final whistle yesterday.

How much "noise" do you think would be about right?

Well for comparison, there were around 200 in the same timeframe after a boring 0-0 draw last week. Easier to discuss the negatives I guess *shrug*.

So, 95 posts this week., 200 posts last week. What exactly is your point, if in fact you have one?

Edited by briny_ear

wow it's not even December yet and Lambert's bleating on in the press about how we won't make any big money signings, doesn't even say when so I guess he means ever.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9019570?

so you can bet your arse that signing this much desired central attacking midfielder is about as likely as Alan Wright coming out of retirement and replacing Guzan in goal.

• Like 1

To be honest it's disappointing the match reaction thread dies so quickly after a game. It is generally full of pretty fair reflections and comment, maybe that is partly because it's full of people who watched the game. 

Pretty shortly after a game this thread reverts to a 'battle' between the overly optimistic and overly pessimistic posters and it has all gotten a bit dull and predictable. I think I'll just stick to the match threads from now on. 

Joint 10th after these first 11 fixtures is an impressive start. Especially the -1 GD when last season in the same fixtures we conceded rather a lot of goals.

I have just put Guzan in my fantasy team though so you can expect this newfound defensive toughness to end after the international break!

Interesting how relatively quiet this thread has been almost a full day since our game ;)

95 posts since the final whistle yesterday.

How much "noise" do you think would be about right?

Well for comparison, there were around 200 in the same timeframe after a boring 0-0 draw last week. Easier to discuss the negatives I guess *shrug*.

So, 95 posts this week., 200 posts last week. What exactly is your point, if in fact you have one?

His point is 

wow it's not even December yet and Lambert's bleating on in the press about how we won't make any big money signings, doesn't even say when so I guess he means ever.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9019570?

so you can bet your arse that signing this much desired central attacking midfielder is about as likely as Alan Wright coming out of retirement and replacing Guzan in goal.

Before falling for this type of Talksport/tabloid nonsense, ask yourself: When did Lambert make this statement and in what context?  Don't allow journalists to manipulate your feelings.

If the crowd could just accept what is happening & what is tryng to be achieved

What is trying to be achieved? Maybe the fans would accept it if they actually knew what the plan is. Fans are never going to just accept mediocrity, thankfully the expectations of the paying fans don't seem to have been lowered to the level of some on here.

Edited by Big_John_10

I dont agree with booing at half time in a game. Or full time. It's not as if the players or Lambert aren't trying to win. Booing them isn't going to motivate them.  It's an absolutely pointless exercise if you ask me, which does no good whatsoever. But, it's people's right to do it, even though I wish they wouldn't.

I agree with you-I put it down to ignorance & stupidity. Footballers know when they are not doing as well as they can, sometimes if it's just 2 or maybe 3, the team can carry them but when it's more, it becomes difficult. The booing adds to the pressure, especially to younger players like our lads. We know it could be better sometimes, and they know it as well. If the crowd could just accept what is happening & what is tryng to be achieved, it would take a lot of pressure away from the players. I thought we did this last season although it seems expectations have raised this time around & patience seems to be lacking. Maybe the crowd would prefer Ian Holloway for example? His games are often open & high scoring-He just doesn't win many of them. W look like we're becoming a bit more solid & a bit harder to score against. urley when we get this part right, people can work out that other areas of our play will be addressed?

We're Aston Villa, not Man United or Arsenal-People placing these ridiculous expectations on young players need to wake up & smell the coffee-Or at least try to understand what it takes to maintain a top 6 position in the Premiership.

What are these 'ridiculous expectations on young players' you speak of? I've seen no-one on here with anything more than just reasonable expectations to see a repeat of the style of football from the very same players produced at the tail end of last season.

However what i do feel is more than unreasonable is to refer to our fans as ignorant and stupid when they have made their displeasure heard in the only way possible at probably the worst first half performance by the team this season and that criticism, as another poster has suggested, could have actually spurred the team on to perform much better in the second half.

• Like 1

If the crowd could just accept what is happening & what is tryng to be achieved

What is trying to be achieved? Maybe the fans would accept it if they actually knew what the plan is. Fans are never going to just accept mediocrity, thankfully the expectations of the paying fans don't seem to have been lowered to the level of some on here.

Big John-Nobody wants mediocrity. Unfortunately, as Aston Villa fans, this has been what we normaly get. 5 top 4 finishes since the war, 1 league win, 1 FA Cup win. You've mentioned before that you are aware there is no financial backing for the manager.

My attitude is that we have a young hungry side who are still developing. They are already showing that they are more resolute than a year ago. There is still a challenge. Under MON, the challenge was to finish 6th in the league. This season, the challenge is to finish top half. Next season, maybe top 7 or 8?

Nothing is going to happen overnight & people who expect it to are just showing their ignorance. Just because people will accept 10th this season, doesn't mean they accept mediocrity. You are not going to go from relegation material to challenging for Europe on our budget-You know this so do you just bury your head in the sand & constantly moan or do you enjoy the challenge that lies ahead?

I dont agree with booing at half time in a game. Or full time. It's not as if the players or Lambert aren't trying to win. Booing them isn't going to motivate them.  It's an absolutely pointless exercise if you ask me, which does no good whatsoever. But, it's people's right to do it, even though I wish they wouldn't.

I agree with you-I put it down to ignorance & stupidity. Footballers know when they are not doing as well as they can, sometimes if it's just 2 or maybe 3, the team can carry them but when it's more, it becomes difficult. The booing adds to the pressure, especially to younger players like our lads. We know it could be better sometimes, and they know it as well. If the crowd could just accept what is happening & what is tryng to be achieved, it would take a lot of pressure away from the players. I thought we did this last season although it seems expectations have raised this time around & patience seems to be lacking. Maybe the crowd would prefer Ian Holloway for example? His games are often open & high scoring-He just doesn't win many of them. W look like we're becoming a bit more solid & a bit harder to score against. urley when we get this part right, people can work out that other areas of our play will be addressed?

We're Aston Villa, not Man United or Arsenal-People placing these ridiculous expectations on young players need to wake up & smell the coffee-Or at least try to understand what it takes to maintain a top 6 position in the Premiership.

What are these 'ridiculous expectations on young players' you speak of? I've seen no-one on here with anything more than just reasonable expectations to see a repeat of the style of football from the very same players produced at the tail end of last season.

However what i do feel is more than unreasonable is to refer to our fans as ignorant and stupid when they have made their displeasure heard in the only way possible at probably the worst first half performance by the team this season and that criticism, as another poster has suggested, could have actually spurred the team on to perform much better in the second half.

The standard of football produced is no worse than any other team from around 9th downwards.

People want us to win & win in style. Man U are struggling to do that, as are Spurs-It's not just a case of telling 11 players to go out & win but win by entertaining you know.

Many of our fans are ignorant, games against the likes of Cardiff are rarely going to be pretty & sometimes results need to be ground out which is what happened yesterday.

If you appoint mediocre managers, playing bog-standard hoof it British football, then mediocrity is all you'll ever get.  Lambert's style of football is really dull and uninspired.  Even if all the young kids he's bought 'make it', it'll still be O'Neillesque boredom.  We need some new thinking, and a manager who will play a more expansive, European type game.

If you appoint mediocre managers, playing bog-standard hoof it British football, then mediocrity is all you'll ever get.  Lambert's style of football is really dull and uninspired.  Even if all the young kids he's bought 'make it', it'll still be O'Neillesque boredom.  We need some new thinking, and a manager who will play a more expansive, European type game.

Quality LOL

I think you've found your niche in life

• Like 1

I think there might be one or two fans from Newcastle, West Brom and Swansea who would disagree with that.

The standard of football produced is no worse than any other team from around 9th downwards.

People want us to win & win in style. Man U are struggling to do that, as are Spurs-It's not just a case of telling 11 players to go out & win but win by entertaining you know.

Many of our fans are ignorant, games against the likes of Cardiff are rarely going to be pretty & sometimes results need to be ground out which is what happened yesterday.

I think there might be one or two fans from Newcastle, West Brom and Swansea who would disagree with that.

No-one is expecting us to play to the same standard of Man U or Spurs either even when they have an off day and you seem to have the attitude that our fans are ignorant of what the project is here just because they booed despite how the fans backed both Lambert and the team at Villa park last season through a start which broke all the wrong records and if you remember Lambert commented on that at the time.

So those boos you have commented on were not born out of ignorance but rather frustration at a first half performance which was well below what our team could provide and they proved that with their performance in the second half.

Quality LOL

I think you've found your niche in life

Did you really just type 'LOL'?

We're a work in progress. I doubt Lambert wants us to be playing hoofball in a few years time.

He could have bought a decent midfielder in the summer.  Instead he spent £7m on a carthorse to hoof it up to in the event of us not being able to hoof it to Benteke.  Other fans are starting to view us in the same way they do Stoke and West Ham.

No-one is expecting us to play to the same standard of Man U or Spurs either even when they have an off day and you seem to have the attitude that our fans are ignorant of what the project is here just because they booed despite how the fans backed both Lambert and the team at Villa park last season through a start which broke all the wrong records and if you remember Lambert commented on that at the time.

So those boos you have commented on were not born out of ignorance but rather frustration at a first half performance which was well below what our team could provide and they proved that with their performance in the second half.

If the people booing don't expect us to be at the standard you just said why are they booing after 11 games in 10th doing much better than this time last year after playing 6 of the 7 biggest clubs in the league?