Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I just love the fact that Bowery was brought on when we were in the lead. A kid that had a price for 500k against city. That really sums it up. Not a fan of him but that fact is awesome

Did his job though, to be fair Weimann was injured and bringing Bowery on as a big physical presence did the job in the end. Held the ball up for a few minutes and even made a tackle to break one of their final attacks I believe.

Mental though like you say, £500k compared to them bringing Jovetic on!

Well i for one after the first 6 games had us down for 6 points and a bollocks goal difference so we are really well off. I didnt give a toss about the spurs game.

Spurs are better than citeh IMO.

• Like 2

Evening all,

Some place this isn't it......second string lose to Spurs in the Cup and dear old Lambo is a dud according to a few. Now, after carrying a fair bit of luck and beating City he is back to being the best thing to happy to Villa.

The point is this - there are going to be highs and lows this season. I think we all understand this. But what I would say is maybe it's about time the critics of the manager - and you were all out in force during the week - take time to appreciate Rome wasn't built in a day.

With Gabby injured and Benteke out he made a massive call to change the formation today and it worked brilliantly. We would not have got away with just one up top with two others supporting them as we have played recently because it would have invited City on us from the first whistle. Playing two up top was always going to occupy their defenders more even although they were always well on top.

The five in midfield were needed and so was three at the back. Tactically, the manager got it right because as much as City have great players were managed to keep it tight and ride our luck when it was required.

Lowton has just discovered if you aren't playing as well as you should then you won't start. Bacuna looks like great business for someone who cost less than £1m, He will have ups and downs like the team but he is a good hungry young player.

Anyway, if you can't enjoy a good night when you beat City at home then when can you! Just think it's worth noting there will be good times and bad this season so lets not get too high when it is good and equally not too low when results don't go as we would have hoped.

UTV.

Well said Paul

Great when your manager spends time explaining to the fans about his actions isn't it. Cheers again Lambo.

• Like 1

I just love the fact that Bowery was brought on when we were in the lead. A kid that had a price for 500k against city. That really sums it up. Not a fan of him but that fact is awesome

Did his job though, to be fair Weimann was injured and bringing Bowery on as a big physical presence did the job in the end. Held the ball up for a few minutes and even made a tackle to break one of their final attacks I believe.

Mental though like you say, £500k compared to them bringing Jovetic on!

....and that was a huge **** up by Pellegrini. Dzeko was giving us problems, had already scored and seems to have a habit of scoring late goals. Jovetic came up and looked terrible.

If anything it was Jovetic who looked like a £500k player.

• Like 1

Lets be honest about this. We don't have a great team or great players in any way shape or form. What we do have though is a manager that gets the most out of his resources through sheer resilience and bloody mindedness ( come from behind victories against both arsenal and man city )

Genuinely can't think of anyone else I would want in charge with the budget we have

And I know I certainly want him in charge if we ever have a decent budget!

I back Lambert 99.9% :P

He has made some mistakes tactically and I'm not totally sold on all the players that he has brought in this summer but the last 2 games have shown that togetherness, hard work and bloody mindedness can actually take you quite far.

Can you think of anyone else that could have turned around the team like this with such a small transfer and wage budget ? I genuinely can't. We are lucky to have him as our manager.

Agree.

• Like 1

I think it's obvious that he's been trying to get a tactic together that works at home. Away we seem to have the right balance, but our home form has been screaming out for a different system. 

He tried 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and now 5-3-2. At least he has been trying to change things up to get a win, which has now come against a team the majority of us expected to get hammered by.

Don't know if it was the formation - as were on the back foot first half - same formation 2nd half much better. I think the key was some players really upped there game 2nd half - and pelegrini had a bit  of mare with his subs.

This time last year we were 15th on 5 points scored 6 conceded 10.

This year we're 4 points better off having scored 9 conceded 8.

Looking at like for like fixtures

Arsenal away this year 3-1 win, last 2-1loss.

Chelsea away this year 2-1 loss, last 8-0 loss.

Liverpool at home this year 1-0 loss, last 2-1 loss.

Newcastle at home this year 2-1 loss, last 2-1 loss.

Norwich away this year 1-0 win, last 2-1 win.

Man City at home this year 3-2 win, last 1-0 loss.

6 points & 11 goals better off.

was just this minute wondering what our comparative numbers were. good man

and some will still say there's no improvement. we've at least equalled every result last season, and bettered  2

We improved upon every result bar Liverpool and Newcastle, actually. A 2-1 win is better as far as the table is concerned than a 1-0 win.

Evening all,

Some place this isn't it......second string lose to Spurs in the Cup and dear old Lambo is a dud according to a few. Now, after carrying a fair bit of luck and beating City he is back to being the best thing to happy to Villa.

Perhaps what is best for all of us is that we don't use whatever result we have to hand as an excuse to criticize other fans; that we each and all give our views as time goes by without having to worry about whether we'll be called too positive or negative; condemned as lovers or haters; written off as company moles and so forth.

We beat Man City today and, whether the victory was deserved or not, we should be glad; we shouldn't, though, fail to say just where we thought we may have gone wrong today in the same breaths as we applaud where we did well.

Edited by snowychap

Evening all,

The point is this - there are going to be highs and lows this season. I think we all understand this. But what I would say is maybe it's about time the critics of the manager - and you were all out in force during the week - take time to appreciate Rome wasn't built in a day.

With Gabby injured and Benteke out he made a massive call to change the formation today and it worked brilliantly. We would not have got away with just one up top with two others supporting them as we have played recently because it would have invited City on us from the first whistle. Playing two up top was always going to occupy their defenders more even although they were always well on top.

The five in midfield were needed and so was three at the back. Tactically, the manager got it right because as much as City have great players were managed to keep it tight and ride our luck when it was required.

Lowton has just discovered if you aren't playing as well as you should then you won't start. Bacuna looks like great business for someone who cost less than £1m, He will have ups and downs like the team but he is a good hungry young player.

Anyway, if you can't enjoy a good night when you beat City at home then when can you! Just think it's worth noting there will be good times and bad this season so lets not get too high when it is good and equally not too low when results don't go as we would have hoped.

UTV.

Well said Paul

Did anybody call Lambert a dud? Again, honest question.

Nothing at all wrong with Lambert, back him all the way. All I want is for him to be able to bring in a few more players no matter what they cost. We'll win trophies under him if we can do this.

For example, it looks like we wanted an AM, we were linked strongly with three and the admission was there. If we could have brought in an AM alongside Kovak, it would have been a much better window.

Edited by dodgyknees

Evening all,

Perhaps what is best for all of us is that we don't use whatever result we have to hand as an excuse to criticize other fans; that we each and all give our views as time goes by without having to worry about whether we'll be called too positive or negative; condemned as lovers or haters; written off as company moles and so forth.

We beat Man City today and, whether the victory was deserved or not, we should be glad; we shouldn't, though, fail to say just where we thought we may have gone wrong today in the same breaths as we applaud where we did well.

Well said. 

Interesting formation yesterday-I didn't see that coming. Reminded me of the way we played under Brian Little & how well it worked for us then. Its hard to pick out players, I thought they were all superb but the back 3 did exceptionally well considering the pressure we were put under. KEA has been a revelation this season & clearly it's his place to loose at present. The same will hopefully apply with Bacuna who has been excellent in the last 2 games. Kozac is another who has come in & done a job for us.

I'm a big fan of the 3 up front that we usually play with but the system yesterday has got me thinking. I know we'll probably use both in the future but I wouldn't like to pick one out of Weiman, Gabby & Kozac to partner CB though.

Watching the other teams on MOTD this morning, I didn't see many players outside of the top 8 or so who I would like bought in to replace anyone in our team. I think we're probably a bit stronger than some give us credit for.

Great result versus Man C, we did what we're set up to do and picked their pockets, even though we should have been on the end of another cricket score. We should have lost 6/7-0 such was their dominance.

I don't expect us ever to compete with Man City, we may as well be in different leagues, but what we need to do is start keeping possession of the ball better, and dominating home games against the teams around us. It's when we start doing that we've turned a corner - so... Man City, great result but nothing to get excited about.

Evening all,

UTV.

crikey, if I want a sermon, I'll go to church this morning, thanks. Some of us have been supporting this club for a lot longer than you lot have been on the scene and will have perspectives on the current regime that may not be totally in line with your thinking.

I think this is a site where people are free to express a range of views and should be able to do so without worrying what the club's management think.

• Like 1

Evening all,

UTV.

crikey, if I want a sermon, I'll go to church this morning, thanks. Some of us have been supporting this club for a lot longer than you lot have been on the scene and will have perspectives on the current regime that may not be totally in line with your thinking.

I think this is a site where people are free to express a range of views and should be able to do so without worrying what the club's management think.

Think that's a bit harsh Briny. HH made some relevant points & it is true that football suporters can be fickle. PL has had a pretty rough ride this past week & unjustly so IMO. People bought too much into the Spurs result & it is equally important that we don't get carried away after yesterdays result. That said, I don't think theres a drug on this planet that gave the high that full time bought yesterday, the atmosphere in the Holte Suite afterwards was infectious. This is where we are at present & there will be more highs & lows throughout the season.

Losing at home to Newcastle & then beating Man City a couple of weeks later sums it up for me. If we can step it up a notch or two then the consistency will come. 

• Like 1

Interesting formation yesterday-I didn't see that coming. Reminded me of the way we played under Brian Little & how well it worked for us then. Its hard to pick out players, I thought they were all superb but the back 3 did exceptionally well considering the pressure we were put under. KEA has been a revelation this season & clearly it's his place to loose at present. The same will hopefully apply with Bacuna who has been excellent in the last 2 games. Kozac is another who has come in & done a job for us.

I'm a big fan of the 3 up front that we usually play with but the system yesterday has got me thinking. I know we'll probably use both in the future but I wouldn't like to pick one out of Weiman, Gabby & Kozac to partner CB though.

Watching the other teams on MOTD this morning, I didn't see many players outside of the top 8 or so who I would like bought in to replace anyone in our team. I think we're probably a bit stronger than some give us credit for.

Or the Premiership is very poor this season?

I'm not in any shape or form trying to detract from our win yesterday because it was a fantastic victory but so far there have been some very strange results and this could be the season that the usual stranglehold at the top may be broken?

Or the Premiership is very poor this season?

I'm not in any shape or form trying to detract from our win yesterday because it was a fantastic victory but so far there have been some very strange results and this could be the season that the usual stranglehold at the top may be broken?

Think the top 3 all having managerial changes has had something to do with that.

Spurs have now turned the top 4 into a top 5. With Liverpool & Everton looking strong, I think the top 7 will be those teams. After that, I would fancy us to beat any other team in the division. Going back to the 3-3 at Everton in February, with the exception of a draw against Fulham & Wigan & the defeat to Newcastle a couple of weeks back, we've won every game outside of top 7 opponents. That's not bad going at all. 6 points from Arsenal & Man City are bonuses & imagine if we'd have gained the draw that we deserved against Chelsea?