The Football Weekly Podcast

AVFCforever1991

I've only listened to this once (after our Anfield win) as it was said that Villa got some rare praise. I thought the Irish bloke was hilarious. They should get him on MOTD instead of the stale old farts they currently have.

Probably the best football podcast out there that I've come across (although the Ramble is funnier, imo, it doesn't match up to analysis)

Never miss an episode.

Best guests: Wilson, Cox, Honigstein, Ronay.

I do like Glendenning, but sometimes he annoys me.

Barry Glendenning is usually funny but often seems to get things spectacularly wrong. Like Stevo, I also find him irritating at times.

Love Jimbo. Who doesn't? That said, he doesn't seem to think much of Villa.

Michael Cox is excellent and I do like Honigstein too. Philippe Auclair is good.

I've listened to FW for a couple of years now though, and I don't think it's quite as good as it used to be. I like that it's generally informal and relaxed, and quite jokey, but sometimes they seem to go a little too far with the "yeah, we're not really bothered about this" comments, which are getting a bit repetitive. In fairness, they haven't seemed to play on that so much in the most recent episodes. Still great, nevertheless, but I do prefer listening to the Ramble (although that's often dependent on which guests are on Weekly). Both brilliant podcasts, either way.

Listened to Chris's Villa podcast for the first time last week too, and that's definitely worth a listen.

Love Football Weekly. Been listening to it since about 2007/2008. I think my favourite regular guests are Raphael Honigstein and Amy Lawrence. Fernando Duarte is fun too, but mostly because he is as mad as a box of frogs.

Barry Glendenning is usually funny but often seems to get things spectacularly wrong. Like Stevo, I also find him irritating at times.

Love Jimbo. Who doesn't? That said, he doesn't seem to think much of Villa.

Michael Cox is excellent and I do like Honigstein too. Philippe Auclair is good.

I've listened to FW for a couple of years now though, and I don't think it's quite as good as it used to be. I like that it's generally informal and relaxed, and quite jokey, but sometimes they seem to go a little too far with the "yeah, we're not really bothered about this" comments, which are getting a bit repetitive. In fairness, they haven't seemed to play on that so much in the most recent episodes. Still great, nevertheless, but I do prefer listening to the Ramble (although that's often dependent on which guests are on Weekly). Both brilliant podcasts, either way.

Listened to Chris's Villa podcast for the first time last week too, and that's definitely worth a listen.

Oh, you.

Agree with Trog, I do get a bit annoyed by the "we don't give a shit" attitude they have sometimes.

Also, whilst I do like the Serie A bits and La Liga etc, sometimes they go a bit mental on it.

Like Monday's I think they talked for Serie A longer than they did about the FA Cup. Which is weird.

Fernando Duarte is fun too, but mostly because he is as mad as a box of frogs.

I always think Duarte (and Auclair to an extent) hate, or are hated by, Jimbo. There always seems to be an obvious amount of tension when either of those are on the show, Duarte especially.

Yeah. And as I said I have no problem in them talking about it. Just seems a bit weird on an English podcast for them to spend more time talking about Serie A than the FA Cup (although I realise they had that other guy on, who's name escapes me, who's also a Serie A expert so the conversation was naturally going to go in that direction)

I always think Duarte (and Auclair to an extent) hate, or are hated by, Jimbo. There always seems to be an obvious amount of tension when either of those are on the show, Duarte especially.

Really? Jim might have a bit of fun at their expense at times, but I dont think there is any malice in it.

Yeah. And as I said I have no problem in them talking about it. Just seems a bit weird on an English podcast for them to spend more time talking about Serie A than the FA Cup (although I realise they had that other guy on, who's name escapes me, who's also a Serie A expert so the conversation was naturally going to go in that direction)

A lot of Jim's love of Serie A is from his old job, he probably lived/worked in Italy for 15 years. Surely you remember this?

Paolo Bandini is the other Serie A guy, he hasnt been on much of late, I think he is working overseas.

I don't see that in the slightest

Hmmm, maybe it's just me. I always think Jimbo deliberately rubs Duarte the wrong way. Not maliciously or anything (hate was the wrong word to use, I was exagerrating), just verging on genuine annoyance.

And yeah, Rev, I know all about Jimbo's love for Serie A and why (Football Italia). I was just remarking that it was strange to spend more time on that than the FA Cup.

And it was Horncastle on monday, not Bandini.

Edited by Stevo985

I just see it more as a bit of gentle piss taking. Glendenning gives/takes most of the abuse on the show, but I think it is all in good humour. It would be drier than a nuns fanny without that kind of thing I think, but I am glad they stop short of "staged" arguments like you get on the awful The Game podcast and Talksport.

in fairness except for Suarez wasnt really anything to talk about in the FA Cup last weekend

Paolo Bandini is the other Serie A guy, he hasnt been on much of late, I think he is working overseas.

I believe teh grauniad have posted him to America to cover the NFL (as it's only from their NFL coverage that I recognize the name, and his profile page goes NFL, NFL, Serie A, NFL, NFL, NFL, NFL, NFL, NFL, Serie A...)

I think you are right now I think about it. I seem to recall him being on earlier in the season talking about living in a dormitory town in the mid west (Wisconsin or Illinois I think) while his wife studies for a degree.

Â