U.S. Politics

maqroll

27 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

You're right about the dismissive attitude towards 'lesser' nations. Hasn't our relationship with India ever been thus?!

Hard to be able to judge the intelligence of the people there or their reasoning to be honest but I would tend to go with the answer that doesn't try and attribute any sort of group identity to those I have no information on.

That the press have made 4 days worth of 'NEWS' out of some people waving placards and not the actual state visit/NATO meeting etc is criminal. No mention of half the govt resigning this week. Just Strength and Unity.

We are so far down the creek it's not funny and it hasn't been funny for the last 20 years. Anything that makes people ask questions about their surroundings can only be a good thing imho.

Glad they didn't all get kettled and beaten and dragged into vans. That's what we normally do to protestors over here isn't it?

I’m struggling to understand what people are protesting about.  Its almost like it’s a game to these bums. 

If they cared at all about their own country they would understand that a good relationship with the president of the richest most powerful nation in the world would be good for the country and for the future. But nah, f**k that. His a **** so let’s make sure he knows about it. 

These people make me sick. Selfish riotous scum.

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

teresa may is a vixen

Because the emotions I am describing are not sensible and she is patently very sensible. The extravagant collection of shoes, and the controversial leather trousers — so often derided by political commentators and fashion editors — could be seen as attempts to dispel, or at best modify, her sensible image, though I think that judgment overlooks something which we are sometimes too delicate to spell out. This is that — in contrast to some of the other women who have dominated British public life in the last half century — she exudes erotic appeal. Sex appeal is not quite the same as the big mythological draw which was summoned up by, say, Golda Meir or Queen Victoria, but the two are in some way connected.

*gag*

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m struggling to understand what people are protesting about.

Is your problem with criticisms of Trump or with the protesting or that there may not have been similar protests against Xi or the Indian PM?

It's not really clear because in one post you've said that you're 'not saying protesting against Trump is wrong' and that you're 'just questioning the ignorance of the protesters on what they decide to protest against' and in the next post you're saying that you don't understand what they're protesting about and calling them scum.

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Is your problem with criticisms of Trump or with the protesting or that there may not have been similar protests against Xi or the Indian PM?

It's not really clear because in one post you've said that you're 'not saying protesting against Trump is wrong' and that you're 'just questioning the ignorance of the protesters on what they decide to protest against' and in the next post you're saying that you don't understand what they're protesting about and calling them scum.

I think they are what is wrong with the world. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m struggling to understand what people are protesting about.  Its almost like it’s a game to these bums. 

If they cared at all about their own country they would understand that a good relationship with the president of the richest most powerful nation in the world would be good for the country and for the future. But nah, f**k that. His a **** so let’s make sure he knows about it. 

These people make me sick. Selfish riotous scum.

Perhaps they are there because of the innocent people killed in Syria recently or the countless other countries around the area over the last 20 years. Which is....you know......in the millions.

Perhaps they were there because of the Drug war fought in central and South America by the CIA, or the governments overturned around the globe? Eminating from the country he represents.

Maybe they are unhappy for a plethora of reasons.

Why people don't care so much about issues here or in India I don't know but then I don't even know if that's true. If the question is why aren't there more things like this all the time about all kinds of things then stick the kettle on and we'll tell a tale of Thatcherite glory........

The media have a massive role to play in the perception of fear and control. It's all amazingly inter-weaved. But there IS a simple rule everyone can live by with the media.

Listen to what Piers Morgan thinks on a subject, if you think what he says, you're almost definitely wrong.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Out of interest does London have these kind of protests when the king of Saudi Arabia or the president of China visit the UK?

if they don’t then it goes to show the majority of people protesting  against Trump are just a bunch of media brainwashed muppets. 

The media has been quite focused on this. There was a big press platform there. 

That's unusual. Usually demonstrations have been underplayed by the media. A couple of really lively ones didn't appear on any news channels at all. 

We had a link to one here.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think they are what is wrong with the world. 

:D

Oh my.

Not the mega rich psychopaths then?

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Perhaps they are there because of the innocent people killed in Syria recently or the countless other countries around the area over the last 20 years. Which is....you know......in the millions.

Perhaps they were there because of the Drug war fought in central and South America by the CIA, or the governments overturned around the globe? Eminating from the country he represents.

Maybe they are unhappy for a plethora of reasons.

Why people don't care so much about issues here or in India I don't know but then I don't even know if that's true. If the question is why aren't there more things like this all the time about all kinds of things then stick the kettle on and we'll tell a tale of Thatcherite glory........

The media have a massive role to play in the perception of fear and control. It's all amazingly inter-weaved. But there IS a simple rule everyone can live by with the media.

Listen to what Piers Morgan thinks on a subject, if you think what he says, you're almost definitely wrong.

What’s all that got to do with Trump? Previous US governments are far more guilty of those crimes then the current administration yet I never saw such protests againsts Obama for example. I bet warmonger Hilary Clinton would have been welcomed with open arms too. 

These people aren’t protesting against US policies. That would actually be justified in many ways. They are protesting because of their hatred for one man. That’s what is making a whole mockery of protests in general. It’s lost all credibility now. Scumbags.

Protesting Trump is completely valid. His politics are vile and the man himself is despicable. I'd much rather see protests than not, to deny tacit acceptance of his ways and manner. It's to the country's credit so many felt the need to show the world disagreement at it's word removed in chief.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

Protesting Trump is completely valid. His politics are vile and the man himself is despicable. I'd much rather see protests than not, to deny tacit acceptance of his ways and manner. It's to the country's credit so many felt the need to show the world disagreement at it's word removed in chief.

Wonder if the millions he got back in employment feel the same way. 

Obama was a far worse president  yet got a hero’s welcome. 

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m just questioning the ignorance of the protesters on what they decide to protest against. 

Protesters are not a specific group that can’t be pidgeon holed into e.g gender, political allegiances, dietary preferences etc. it really depends on the topic, the medium, location and how organised/passionate individuals are in taking a day off work, utilising a lunch breaks, timing etc. Ignorance may come into protests e.g tommy robinson/GOSH but not in this case. Westminster is awash with various rallies/protest about many things but as some have said very rarely get any media attention

Edited by MickeyC_UTV
‘r’ added to the first word, and put the right robinson in
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Xann said:

You see no link between apathy towards politics and the current f**ked up situation in the UK?

Politicians fear us in numbers, when we're looking at them.

I’m not sure it’s that I don’t see the problem with apathy, I guess I may have a different definition of what ‘engaging’ with politics actually means.

As a person who has never attended a protest or made a banner in my life, my wonderment came from what motivates people (and you may be well placed to give me an inkling on this) to attend this type of event?

Do they get home and think ‘Wow, I really made a difference to the way global politics is being shaped today’ or is it more ‘Well  we went out and did some shouting with loads of people I don’t know about the same thing, good atmosphere, great buzz’ (pretty much like going to the football)?

2 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

I’m not sure it’s that I don’t see the problem with apathy, I guess I may have a different definition of what ‘engaging’ with politics actually means.

As a person who has never attended a protest or made a banner in my life, my wonderment came from what motivates people (and you may be well placed to give me an inkling on this) to attend this type of event?

Do they get home and think ‘Wow, I really made a difference to the way global politics is being shaped today’ or is it more ‘Well  we went out and did some shouting with loads of people I don’t know about the same thing, good atmosphere, great buzz’ (pretty much like going to the football)?

Speaking from my own experience in the past, I came home thinking, among other things:

1.  Despite the incredible concentration of power in the hands of ruling elite, they've been reminded that they can't entirely discount the opinions of the people without at least some repercussions.

2.  People who feel the same as me but fear they are alone and are afraid to speak out have been reassured that there are others on their side.

• Like 3

Â